Sam Powell Has Left The Club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Sam Powell Has Left The Club

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:56 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:55 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:43 pm Interesting signing by Warrington. Personally, I don't see the comparison with Daryl Clark. Presumably it's his work ethic and all-round nice guy style which is an attraction....which makes sense.

As for 2024 in Cherry and White, simply not required, well down the pecking order. Very wise to part company!
For me I think it’s a couple of things:

1 - Experience
2 - Attitude, Culture, Work ethic st tracings etc
3 - burgess may want a defensively sound hooker
But definitely can't be because sam Burgess thinks he's a good hooker. Because we all *know* that he's not right?
Two can play at that game. Despite coaching him for most of his career the current England coach hasn’t picked him for England. Wane mist not think he’s a good hooker obviously using the same logic.

We have no idea why Burgess has signed him but take a trip around the RL internet and most Wire fans aren’t impressed by the signing. Probably because they never viewed Powell through cherry n white specs and never rated him compared to Clarke.
boggart

Post by boggart »

With Smithies gone and now Powell, that's a lot of tackles per game to make up. Who do we think will be doing it in their absence?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

boggart wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:30 am With Smithies gone and now Powell, that's a lot of tackles per game to make up. Who do we think will be doing it in their absence?
Our new signings presumably. Smithies is the loss I am obviously more concerned about since we managed OK without Powell when he was injured and when O’Neil was on the pitch. Smithies ended up an 80 minute player whereas Powell wasn’t. It’s Smithies defence Wigan need to make sure they can replicate.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

You imagine with the forwards we have they will run with three middles. If no one comes in you could see Leeming or O'Neil taking the other bench spot with three big bodies. You could see O'Neil getting time at 13 with Leeming at 9 on occasion and it may even end with O'Neil being a 13 his aggression size and energy is on a upward trajectory.
Not sure on Shorrocks future but again he can do the 13 role and while you may lose a little in tackle control you would gain with ball as both are more natural with ball in hand.
O'Neil and Shorrocks can knock out 40 tackles per game. Though in normal rounds Smithies average is mid 30's you need more in occasion.
In a lot of games Smithies was spelled the big games he played longer minutes some of that with our injury list of props
was necessity.
If you did run Ellis and Thompson as 13s they could easily knock 30 tackles each in spells and offer more punch taking the ball up. Havard Byrne Dupree could all do big minutes, with O'neil doing a bit at 13 if needed.
That's a positive spin but it's all we have. Smithies will leave an hole absolutely but he wanted to play in the NRL this wasn't a money issue he was offered, we have to deal with it best we can.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beryl O'Neill

Re: Sam's Gone

Post by Beryl O'Neill »

Soul Kitchen wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:51 pm Well that will be some couch fans with an ability to talk through their back passage happy tonite, eh?
That better for the under 90's on here?🤣
I'd like to wish Sam Powell good luck for the future he's been good member of Wigan Warrior's for a long time not everyone can be outstanding but he was a loyal member of the team and played to the best of his ability.Hope he does well at Warrington 👍
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Beryl O'Neill wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:01 pm
Soul Kitchen wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:51 pm Well that will be some couch fans with an ability to talk through their back passage happy tonite, eh?
I'd like to wish Sam Powell good luck for the future he's been good member of Wigan Warrior's for a long time not everyone can be outstanding but he was a loyal member of the team and played to the best of his ability.Hope he does well at Warrington 👍
👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼🏉🍒⚪️❤️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
boggart

Post by boggart »

Trolling like Powell was subjected to doesn't show the Warriors fans at their best, they can be a little unforgiving, but they do make up for it other ways. How's that for positive spin? Eat your heart out Alasdair Campbell. I think Shorrock's energy and ball skills would add something at loose forward. We haven't had a proper link man and ballplayer at 13 for a while. Was O'Loughlin the real thing, good as he was? Those with more rl savvy than me can decide. Again, would you want to go with a fixed 13 for all situations or play horses for courses. I guess that's why Matty Peet and co get paid the big bucks. Some interesting choices to be made, but looking forward to next season, we've a great squad of players.
Soul Kitchen

Post by Soul Kitchen »

Beryl O'Neill wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:01 pm
My sentiments exactly, been a great servant for the Club and certainly doesn't deserve the stick he's had from forum halfwits in certain quarters.👍
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

boggart wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:30 am With Smithies gone and now Powell, that's a lot of tackles per game to make up. Who do we think will be doing it in their absence?
Good point, but afraid it will largely be ignored by those who know best.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

boggart wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:57 pm Trolling like Powell was subjected to doesn't show the Warriors fans at their best, they can be a little unforgiving, but they do make up for it other ways. How's that for positive spin? Eat your heart out Alasdair Campbell. I think Shorrock's energy and ball skills would add something at loose forward. We haven't had a proper link man and ballplayer at 13 for a while. Was O'Loughlin the real thing, good as he was? Those with more rl savvy than me can decide. Again, would you want to go with a fixed 13 for all situations or play horses for courses. I guess that's why Matty Peet and co get paid the big bucks. Some interesting choices to be made, but looking forward to next season, we've a great squad of players.
Good post, fair questions.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐