Sam Powell Has Left The Club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Sam Powell Has Left The Club

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:26 am
Mike wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:56 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:55 pm

For me I think it’s a couple of things:

1 - Experience
2 - Attitude, Culture, Work ethic st tracings etc
3 - burgess may want a defensively sound hooker
But definitely can't be because sam Burgess thinks he's a good hooker. Because we all *know* that he's not right?
Two can play at that game. Despite coaching him for most of his career the current England coach hasn’t picked him for England. Wane mist not think he’s a good hooker obviously using the same logic.

We have no idea why Burgess has signed him but take a trip around the RL internet and most Wire fans aren’t impressed by the signing. Probably because they never viewed Powell through cherry n white specs and never rated him compared to Clarke.
So we are now setting the bar at if you haven't played for your countries first team your rubbish 🙄.

Got to love how the Anti Powellers can't just be happy he's gone they have to try and justify why the other team took him as it can't because they are wrong in the view he's the worst hooker in SL.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Marshall must be bloody awful too then
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:59 pm
Mike wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:56 pm

But definitely can't be because sam Burgess thinks he's a good hooker. Because we all *know* that he's not right?
Two can play at that game. Despite coaching him for most of his career the current England coach hasn’t picked him for England. Wane mist not think he’s a good hooker obviously using the same logic.

We have no idea why Burgess has signed him but take a trip around the RL internet and most Wire fans aren’t impressed by the signing. Probably because they never viewed Powell through cherry n white specs and never rated him compared to Clarke.
So we are now setting the bar at if you haven't played for your countries first team your rubbish 🙄.

Got to love how the Anti Powellers can't just be happy he's gone they have to try and justify why the other team took him as it can't because they are wrong in the view he's the worst hooker in SL.
You know exactly what I am saying. Mike was using the fact “the other team took him” as you put it to say Burgess thinks he’s a good player. I pointed out the coach who arguably knows him best has never picked him for England so he can’t be as good as some people make out. It’s pretty obvious.

God knows why Powell ended up polarising opinion. Far better players than him have passed through the club but for some reason some people latched onto defending the continued presence of a bang average player.

Maybe it was because complaining Wigan hadn’t gone and found a better no 9 was an implied criticism of the coach and/or those doing the recruitment which would never do for some people. I have no idea but whether you like it or not, plenty of Wire fans are not happy about the signing because they know he’s nothing special.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:46 am Marshall must be bloody awful too then
No one is making out Marshall is better than he is, unlike with Powell.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Won't it be a shame if this is the last ever Sam Powell thread, and we won't have to talk about him any more. :evil:
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

moto748 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:35 am Won't it be a shame if this is the last ever Sam Powell thread, and we won't have to talk about him any more. :evil:
Classic!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Flash

Post by Flash »

DaveO wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:05 am

You know exactly what I am saying. Mike was using the fact “the other team took him” as you put it to say Burgess thinks he’s a good player. I pointed out the coach who arguably knows him best has never picked him for England so he can’t be as good as some people make out. It’s pretty obvious.

God knows why Powell ended up polarising opinion. Far better players than him have passed through the club but for some reason some people latched onto defending the continued presence of a bang average player.

Maybe it was because complaining Wigan hadn’t gone and found a better no 9 was an implied criticism of the coach and/or those doing the recruitment which would never do for some people. I have no idea but whether you like it or not, plenty of Wire fans are not happy about the signing because they know he’s nothing special.
At the risk of getting into a debate I probably don't qualify to be involved in, in that I fall squarely in the middle with Powell as a 'good pro but nothing special ', it seems to me that too many people are using their own biased interpretations to "prove" a point. You don't have to be an international to be a worthwhile (or even a good) player. You just need to work for the team you're in. Jai Field could become available for England tomorrow and I feel certain that Wane (who knows him best) would stick with Welsby. Does that devalue Field's worth for Wigan? Of course it doesn't.

Similarly, teams, including Wigan, pick up players who will never be internationals all the time if they feel they can do a job. That doesn't imply they're suddenly better than they are.

The facts are simple regarding Powell. He was a valued member of multiple trophy winning sides. Does that make him a world beater? No, of course not. Does it mean he should get more respect from some quarters than he does? Absolutely, it does!

Let me put it this way. If the people criticising him were half as successful at their jobs as Powell has been in his, I feel pretty confident they'd look back on their careers with pride.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I hope Sam Powell does well at Warrington (heaven knows they are a basket case) and thanks for all the work he did for us. I always thought we could do better and I suspect we probably have with O'Neill & Leeming (plus other young up-and-comers) but he was always a 100% trier.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Flash wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:05 pm

At the risk of getting into a debate I probably don't qualify to be involved in, in that I fall squarely in the middle with Powell as a 'good pro but nothing special ', it seems to me that too many people are using their own biased interpretations to "prove" a point. You don't have to be an international to be a worthwhile (or even a good) player. You just need to work for the team you're in. Jai Field could become available for England tomorrow and I feel certain that Wane (who knows him best) would stick with Welsby. Does that devalue Field's worth for Wigan? Of course it doesn't.

Similarly, teams, including Wigan, pick up players who will never be internationals all the time if they feel they can do a job. That doesn't imply they're suddenly better than they are.

The facts are simple regarding Powell. He was a valued member of multiple trophy winning sides. Does that make him a world beater? No, of course not. Does it mean he should get more respect from some quarters than he does? Absolutely, it does!

Let me put it this way. If the people criticising him were half as successful at their jobs as Powell has been in his, I feel pretty confident they'd look back on their careers with pride.
Very well put. A pat on the back for you Sir 👏 👏 👏
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Flash wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:05 pm

Excellent well-balanced comments, Flash.

The problem with the long-standing debate about Sam is that balance has been absent. You're not allowed to think that he's not been a world beater but still done a job for the team.

I've been an ardent happy clapper as far as Powell is concerned - happy to accept that successive coaches know more than me and continued to pick him. Never argued that he was world class or even England standard, but still got the usual replies.

Part of me thinks or hopes that those days are all over now, but we had Matty Smith before Sam, and no doubt there'll be a successor before long.

Happy days!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐