Wigan Warriors favourites to dominate 2024 season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: Wigan Warriors favourites to dominate 2024 season

Post by Wintergreen »

Mike wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:11 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:15 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:43 pm Cats' odds will be longer because British fans are more likely to back their own team, and not many French fans are likely to use Sky Bet.

Bookies' ensure they make a profit by setting the odds to reflect where the money goes. So Cats are likely to be good value - that's not saying they'll win owt.
Exactly- neither am I, but compared to the rest of the "chasing pack" they have a chance.

I can't see any of the other teams with longer odds than them getting anywhere near.

I don't see St Helens being a threat, nor Leeds.

It's Wigan's to lose.
Overconfidence much?

I don't think so.

I cannot think of a season in the last 20 years where Wigan look to have such an advantage against the competition.

Think about it. We have just won the GF against a team who will be weaker next season. We have arguably strengthened. The next "closest" teams to us are Saints and Leeds. One has lost their talisman, the kindest thing you can say about the other is that they are "untried".

Of course nothing is certain. Of course it will need effort and application, but I stick by my comment that it is Wigan's to lose.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I will reserve my judgment until I see how we get on without smithies, KPP and king. All were excellent last season and will be tough to replace. We will definitely be in the mix though for sure.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

w.thomas wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:14 pm I will reserve my judgment until I see how we get on without smithies, KPP and king. All were excellent last season and will be tough to replace. We will definitely be in the mix though for sure.
Absolutely this. I'm not doubting for one minute we have good recruits coming in but those three, especially in the latter parts of last season, were outstanding and will be hard to replace
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I agree with the last two posters - although the signings look promising, most of those that have left played a significant part in our success. If circumstances had been different I'm sure we wouldn't have replaced KPP, Smithies and King. You can always talk yourself into the idea that individuals (Nsemba, Hill, Eckersley etc) and combinations (French and Smith) will improve. However, you can equally propose that some players are ageing (Isa, Cooper and Faz) and that we may be unlucky with injuries. I'm looking forward to next season with confidence but don't like the idea of the Warriors being talked up as being on the brink of another 'golden era'. There's just not enough evidence to support that.