Joe Shorrocks and Harvie Hill

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
LancashireRed

Joe Shorrocks and Harvie Hill

Post by LancashireRed »

Hi Wiganers,

Just a quick question. I have seen rumours and speculation surrounding Salford signing Joe Shorrocks and getting Harvie Hill on loan next season. Is there any truth in the speculation? Will they join Singleton and Cust??

We cannot sign or announce more players until the ground issue is resolved, Salford are fighting for a new lease on the stadium from Salford Council with massive implications for the club and future IMG ratings as per press reports and the public petition gaining traction to stay at the stadium.

https://www.change.org/p/the-salford-co ... n-the-name.
josie andrews

Re: Joe Shorrocks and Harvie Hill

Post by josie andrews »

Heard rumours about Joe Shorrocks nothing about Harvie though.

Hope your bloody council sort themselves out! Think it’s disgraceful the way Salford Red Devils are being treated. Stadium companies are greedy gets IMO & want to bleed clubs dry.

We were the same with the football company! Took massive profits off everything.

What is the scenario with Sale Sharks? Thought the stadium was built originally for the Red Devils?🤔🤔

Hope you get it sorted soon I have always had a soft spot for Salford 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

I got told on Tuesday from someone with a connection with Salford that it looks like Shorrocks is signing for them, no mention of Hill at that time.
The club had a meeting with the players and staff and assured them that despite the council messing them about, they will be there for the next five years.
To be confirmed.
LancashireRed

Post by LancashireRed »

Thanks Josie, I remember the challenges Wigan has over the ground before Mike Danson stepped up. My dads in the West Stand.

As for Salford the stadium now Salford Community Stadium was originally built for the Rugby League Club, Sale RU moved in thereafter. Salford Council have been working to purchase the ground for the past two years without an outcome. Our lease is up at the start of December which effectively makes us homeless, we are then breaching RFL rules without a ground lease and then in 2024 IMG will kick us out of Super League without a 5 year stadium lease. The club have been told by the council a deal will be done yet here we are, we've increased attendances by 92% since 2018 under the current board. The atmosphere when Wigan visited last was immense 8,000 fans in, we need to remain at the Salford Community Stadium. If you can support our cause and petition it is appreciated. We need to out as much pressure on the council as possible or 150 years of history will be lost and the Rugby League pool gets smaller.

https://www.change.org/p/the-salford-co ... n-the-name
LancashireRed

Post by LancashireRed »

eaststandspy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:20 pm I got told on Tuesday from someone with a connection with Salford that it looks like Shorrocks is signing for them, no mention of Hill at that time.
The club had a meeting with the players and staff and assured them that despite the council messing them about, they will be there for the next five years.
To be confirmed.
A reliable source then? Hope that is true??
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I would hope (without having any knowledge) that the recent articles are worst-case scenarios for Salford designed to put pressure on the council. I doubt the situation will be quite as severe in practice as it is in theory - things like short term tenancy extensions, temporary exemptions from IMG criteria etc will all be on the table.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

LancashireRed wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:07 pm Hi Wiganers,

Just a quick question. I have seen rumours and speculation surrounding Salford signing Joe Shorrocks and getting Harvie Hill on loan next season. Is there any truth in the speculation? Will they join Singleton and Cust??

We cannot sign or announce more players until the ground issue is resolved, Salford are fighting for a new lease on the stadium from Salford Council with massive implications for the club and future IMG ratings as per press reports and the public petition gaining traction to stay at the stadium.

Signed & shared Good Luck Salford Red Devils 🍀
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
LancashireRed

Post by LancashireRed »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:17 pm
LancashireRed wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:07 pm Hi Wiganers,

Signed & shared Good Luck Salford Red Devils 🍀
Thanks its much appreciated.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I'm putting my head above the parapet (again) and expecting to be shot at. Nevertheless, here goes . . .

Mike is probably right - the press release from the Salford club is clearly designed to put pressure on the council.

I'm a RL fan as much as I'm a Wigan fan. I admire the progress Salford have made in recent years, and wish them nothing but the best for the future. But the average voter in Salford probably has little interest in RL. Their priorities will be other council services from parks to potholes and street lighting.

Put yourself in the place of that average voter, looking at paying £2000 a year in Council Tax with a £120 increase announced by the government this week. Would you be happy for the council to be buying 50% of a stadium with your money? I'd suggest they'd need to convince me that their investment would pay off financially, not just in terms of helping a local sports team.

[Hence it's essential that the stadium gets used and brings in income. Something those who have a dig about Sale Sharks need to consider.]

Now put yourself in the position of the council leader. You want to get the deal done, but are you going to cut corners and risk the consequences if there's a collision between excrement and fan? Is the fact that the RL introduce a rule about length of tenancy going to make you panic into signing a contract without due diligence?

These things are never as simple as they seem, and the simplistic views of the bloke in the pub are invariably wrong.

Maybe Salford fans and sympathisers should be pressuring the RL to amend it's rule in a case like Salford's, rather than expecting the world to dance to their tune?

Just my thoughts.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Good balanced post Morley with some valid points. I feel for the fans of any club in danger of folding. But feel imo salfords woes started well before ground share.