Joe Shorrocks and Harvie Hill

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
LancashireRed

Re: Joe Shorrocks and Harvie Hill

Post by LancashireRed »

The council buying the stadium land is a no brainer, the area around the Salford Ground and Trafford Centre will be unrecognizable in ten years with the well being resort being built, the land will pay for itself. As for Salford as tenants there are no other options, Salford FC have little crowds of 1.5k, Sale RU and Salford Reds are the only tenants that make this work long term.

Salford Red Devils crowds have grown by 23% this year, we have the biggest percentage growth in Super League since 2018. More details will be shared tonight at the clubs 150th Celebration bash.

Thanks to all the Wigan fans supporting our Petition, btw Harvie Hill was supposedly a season long loan deal.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:18 am I'm putting my head above the parapet (again) and expecting to be shot at. Nevertheless, here goes . . .

Mike is probably right - the press release from the Salford club is clearly designed to put pressure on the council.

I'm a RL fan as much as I'm a Wigan fan. I admire the progress Salford have made in recent years, and wish them nothing but the best for the future. But the average voter in Salford probably has little interest in RL. Their priorities will be other council services from parks to potholes and street lighting.

Put yourself in the place of that average voter, looking at paying £2000 a year in Council Tax with a £120 increase announced by the government this week. Would you be happy for the council to be buying 50% of a stadium with your money? I'd suggest they'd need to convince me that their investment would pay off financially, not just in terms of helping a local sports team.

[Hence it's essential that the stadium gets used and brings in income. Something those who have a dig about Sale Sharks need to consider.]

Now put yourself in the position of the council leader. You want to get the deal done, but are you going to cut corners and risk the consequences if there's a collision between excrement and fan? Is the fact that the RL introduce a rule about length of tenancy going to make you panic into signing a contract without due diligence?

These things are never as simple as they seem, and the simplistic views of the bloke in the pub are invariably wrong.

Maybe Salford fans and sympathisers should be pressuring the RL to amend it's rule in a case like Salford's, rather than expecting the world to dance to their tune?

Just my thoughts.
The situation summarised perfectly I think you would have got full marks in a school exam Morley :lol:
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

LancashireRed wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:03 pm The council buying the stadium land is a no brainer, the area around the Salford Ground and Trafford Centre will be unrecognizable in ten years with the well being resort being built, the land will pay for itself. As for Salford as tenants there are no other options, Salford FC have little crowds of 1.5k, Sale RU and Salford Reds are the only tenants that make this work long term.

Salford Red Devils crowds have grown by 23% this year, we have the biggest percentage growth in Super League since 2018. More details will be shared tonight at the clubs 150th Celebration bash.

Thanks to all the Wigan fans supporting our Petition, btw Harvie Hill was supposedly a season long loan deal.
More interesting and good points. More than anything LR, I think the club needs a money backer so that there is some stability whilst this issue is sorted. Good luck.

p.s. why do Peel Holdings want to sell?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

We would be mad to let shorrocks go unless we sign a backrower
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:52 pm We would be mad to let shorrocks go unless we sign a backrower
I agree, he is a great utility player & still a young lad. It depends on whether he wants full time playing though 🤔
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
LancashireRed

Post by LancashireRed »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:00 pm
LancashireRed wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:03 pm The council buying the stadium land is a no brainer, the area around the Salford Ground and Trafford Centre will be unrecognizable in ten years with the well being resort being built, the land will pay for itself. As for Salford as tenants there are no other options, Salford FC have little crowds of 1.5k, Sale RU and Salford Reds are the only tenants that make this work long term.

More interesting and good points. More than anything LR, I think the club needs a money backer so that there is some stability whilst this issue is sorted. Good luck.

Yes they do not want to be involved in the Sports stadia, its not their kind of business. Interestingly there was mention of a deal being done in Spring 2024 on a long term lease last night at Salford's 150 year celebrations. I hope this is true then Shorrocks then can announced and possibly Hill on loan.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

LancashireRed wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:50 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:00 pm

Yes they do not want to be involved in the Sports stadia, its not their kind of business. Interestingly there was mention of a deal being done in Spring 2024 on a long term lease last night at Salford's 150 year celebrations. I hope this is true then Shorrocks then can announced and possibly Hill on loan.
Fingers crossed LR, we can’t keep losing these old clubs.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
LancashireRed

Post by LancashireRed »

Agree Josie we have lost Widnes, Swinton, Bradford to the 2nd tier even Rochdale all part time its like going back 35 years.

I want a league that has 14 teams in it not 8 which is where the sport will end up without massive change and improvement.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

LancashireRed wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:52 am Agree Josie we have lost Widnes, Swinton, Bradford to the 2nd tier even Rochdale all part time its like going back 35 years.

I want a league that has 14 teams in it not 8 which is where the sport will end up without massive change and improvement.
Yes, Widnes, as well as Salford I have a soft spot for 😊

Bradford really need to do something with their ground. When I was younger, it didn’t bother me being there but when you see how other grounds, Castleford withstanding, have improved, or as Wakey are attempting to, improve their stadiums into the 21st century, Odsal needs filling in & starting again IMO
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:55 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:18 am I'm putting my head above the parapet (again) and expecting to be shot at. Nevertheless, here goes . . .

Mike is probably right - the press release from the Salford club is clearly designed to put pressure on the council.

I'm a RL fan as much as I'm a Wigan fan. I admire the progress Salford have made in recent years, and wish them nothing but the best for the future. But the average voter in Salford probably has little interest in RL. Their priorities will be other council services from parks to potholes and street lighting.

Put yourself in the place of that average voter, looking at paying £2000 a year in Council Tax with a £120 increase announced by the government this week. Would you be happy for the council to be buying 50% of a stadium with your money? I'd suggest they'd need to convince me that their investment would pay off financially, not just in terms of helping a local sports team.

[Hence it's essential that the stadium gets used and brings in income. Something those who have a dig about Sale Sharks need to consider.]

Now put yourself in the position of the council leader. You want to get the deal done, but are you going to cut corners and risk the consequences if there's a collision between excrement and fan? Is the fact that the RL introduce a rule about length of tenancy going to make you panic into signing a contract without due diligence?

These things are never as simple as they seem, and the simplistic views of the bloke in the pub are invariably wrong.

Maybe Salford fans and sympathisers should be pressuring the RL to amend it's rule in a case like Salford's, rather than expecting the world to dance to their tune?

Just my thoughts.
The situation summarised perfectly I think you would have got full marks in a school exam Morley :lol:
It would be the first time ever if I did :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐