Any more to come?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Any more to come?

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:26 am The more I think, the more I'm slightly concerned we haven't actually strengthened our squad all that much for next season. We have lost some great players and are gaining some good players to replace them. We also have 2 younger players signed who I don't expect us to see much if at all next season. Also talks of Hill out on season loan and Shorrocks leaving. I think if that happens and we don't have anyone else coming in, we won't be as strong as last season. Cooper isn't back until halfway through the season and Thompsons fitness can't be relied on just yet. It is a bit of a concern. I feel like losing Smithies, KPP and King are huge blows.

Do we have any whispers on anyone else potentially coming in? Please don't mention the F word
Cooper will be back early into the season. Not sure who the great players are.
Charriots Offiah

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:10 pm
bertina wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:37 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:21 pm Gut feeling is Wigan are not as strong as last season,losing Smithees will be a bigger blow than perhaps we realise if he had stayed then I'd say on balance the club would have been on par with last season but we shall see.

Do I think anyone else to come in? short answer is no
I agree with the hole Smithies will leave, but I honestly don’t think overall we are weaker than last season, especially in the pack.
Dupree from the start.
Walters
Thompson
Eseh
Chan
Leeming.
And of course, Nsemba and Hill with another season under their belts.
I’m pretty happy with the ins and outs.
If anything, I think we could do with another centre.
Dupree from the start - granted
Walters - KPP
Thompson - Smithies
Eseh - Won't play much if at all
Chan - Shorrocks
Leeming - Powell
Keighran - King

I don't see where we are better there in all honesty. I'm still absolutely gutted about Smithies. He will be a huge loss.
We don’t have to be better we have to be as good. Good won us two trophies 😀
Charriots Offiah

DaveO wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:30 pm
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:10 pm
bertina wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:37 pm
I agree with the hole Smithies will leave, but I honestly don’t think overall we are weaker than last season, especially in the pack.
Dupree from the start.
Walters
Thompson
Eseh
Chan
Leeming.
And of course, Nsemba and Hill with another season under their belts.
I’m pretty happy with the ins and outs.
If anything, I think we could do with another centre.
Dupree from the start - granted
Walters - KPP
Thompson - Smithies
Eseh - Won't play much if at all
Chan - Shorrocks
Leeming - Powell
Keighran - King

I don't see where we are better there in all honesty. I'm still absolutely gutted about Smithies. He will be a huge loss.
The only one there is a question mark over in my opinion is Keighran v King. The rest are all at least as good as the ones they replace or better. Smithies came on well last season but Thomson is a quality player. Walters is a top signing. The club decided Leeming and O’Neil was better than Powell and ONeil and they are not going to be proved wrong. That is why Leeming is here and Powell isn’t. Shorrocks is a squad player and Chan is at least as good. Don’t see any issue.
I agree on the whole. I am not worried about Keighran, he will give us a different dimension to King. Powell leaving, and possibly Shorrocks will give us some salary cap to play with.
Welski

Post by Welski »

medlocke wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:53 pmDecember 1st
And the name is…..🫣
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I don't think we will be weaker just different with potential to be better.
Smithies is the biggest loss he plays most weeks seems pretty robust and plays at a pretty high intensity, in big games he can do the 80 knock out 50 tackles plus and takes ball in over a dozen times at least, his link works improved and I imagine injury free he's still got improvement in him.
Ellis and Thompson can take that job on at 13 (given it's two players) though last season if fully fit in our prop rotation Ellis already shared the role with Smithies. They are both capable of knocking 30+ tackles out each in spells. They will also add more go forward and size. We haven't utilised Ellis as a ball player yet,
a role he did at St George. I would say he's more natural than Smithies with that. The depth of props and minutes Havard Byrne and Dupree can go we should be Ok at the very least add any of the young guns and Cooper or Mago it looks like we have covered the loss and are stronger, obviously we need Thompson fit and firing.
Walters, KPP potentially like for like though we will have to see how Walters goes for us, both got size but Walters seems a bigger frame. KPP was a good defender and offloader though he does seem to miss a few games. We also have Nesemba a year older with games under the belt and another pre season will see him develop further, that pack will have some real natural size about it.
Powell..,. we will still have O'neil who had taken over at points this season Leaming should offer a foil with something different, definitely sharper scoot than we have had in a while, it also opens up option for both being on field at same point with O'Neil given time at 13. In turn that opens up a path for Forber.
Cust injury and Bevan at 6 means we shouldn't be weaker here if anything Bevan next season should be an improvement on this as he adjusts to the role more and as a pre season to improve also. The other factor here at half is how much better Harry Smith is getting he looked comfortable for England his kicking in general is the best in the league and his place kicks seem to be improving massively his D is also a strength now and his game management
is as good as anyone which I'm sure plenty NRL eyes have noticed. Both halves should be better next season than this, if Hampshire does stay we again have great cover .
King I will miss Toby as he became a bit of a favourite, I do think we can replace him though Keigrhan looks more of a ball player I'm sure we will be getting his work rate up on carries the other big one here is Eckersley he looks a bolter for me given a chance in the backs I think he can nail down a spot. Douglas also seems to have quality and I would have little issue seeing either get some game time.
Cooper was ticking boxes off faster than expected so hopefully he's back and firing which adds depth Mago was also a better player back end so again hopefully he's going to push on . Miski was improving game by game last season so another plus. I can only see see Jake Wardle kicking on to be the best British centre for a few years. So plenty of reasons to think we should be better this next season. This is still a young team with improvement in it, the biggest thing for me is signing Smith up for at least three years to guide us around I would go as far as to say he's worth marquee status. While not grabbing the headlines of a Farrel signing tying Smith down would for me be better news.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Plus, don't forget this year we start with the Man of Steel winning best stand-off in the competition. Last year we had no-one. Don't underestimate the influence of a settled half-back pairing and basically a returning back line (minus one player). The pack has more strength in depth than last year. We've lost a couple of grafters, so lets hope the rest can pick up the slack. I predict a better season than last year, but lets not get carried away and try to win the WCC and blow our season. If we win it, then great, but lets take it for what it is - a bit of a pre-season bash against a team of moaning Aussies who'll use every excuse they have if they lose. The WCC for us to win is 2025 IMO. We'll blow them away on Aussie soil and they'll still moan, but they'll have so much less to complain about.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

looking at out pack for the 1st game - who would you start - and that basically tells us how different it is to last year

Prop - Ellis, Havard, Byrne, Thompson, Dupree, Cooper, Mago, Hill
2nd Row - Faz, Isa, Walters, Nsemba
Loose - Ellis / Thompson and / or rotation with O'Neill at points during games when Leeming is on

Based on last seasons form i'm looking forward to seeing what that front row can do

Havard was awesome most of the season, and would probably have been pick of the prop if he didnt pick up his injury
Cooper was going well til season ended prematurely
Bryne took quite a bit of stick, but played on through injury and was virtually our only prop at some points. Off season will be great for him to recover and come back bigger and stronger
Ellis IMO really went under the radar at points, but is a quality prop and certainly worth a place in the side
Dupree was really impressed with him once he'd signed. Good speed for a prop too
Thompson hopefully fully fit and firing. if we get that version, he'll be 1st name on sheet every week and we will have some pack
Mago i think the 1 year extension was a good piece of work. the difference between 1st half of the season and 2nd half were chalk and cheese. Keep playing like he did and he'll be worth another extension IMO. He offers something different to the rest of the props
Hill showed some good stuff when he got on, but equally you could see that there was a reluctance to play him due to his age / lack of experience
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

We will be fine.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Welski wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:23 am
medlocke wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:53 pmDecember 1st
And the name is…..🫣
Dunno, one or two on here and rlfans have said all will be revealed Dec 1st, the original post should have had a ? on it :D
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

I agree that Smithies going is a massive blow, I thought he looked like a future captain.
On the bright side, I am really looking forward to seeing how Walters goes, I think he is potentially the player we have neeed for a long time, a big second rower, heavier build than KPP.
Hope Thompson can gain full fitness and return to the form he had at Stains, if so he is a world beater.
On the whole I am happy with the signings and think we can kick on from last season.