Super League Magic Weekend relocated with Elland Road to replace St James' Park

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
fozzieskem

Re: Super League Magic Weekend relocated with Elland Road to replace St James' Park

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:21 pm
Crossy210 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:22 pm
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:11 pm Disagree. This has IMG written all over it . Made it clear from the start Magic Weekend was gone until the clubs protested

EW
IMG don’t have any say on what goes on until 2025 I believe. So I’d say it’s more just a really poor decision by the rfl and superleague
I dodnt remember IMG not liking Magic was there any reason for the stance its always seemed like a decent idea to me havent the NRL recently started to copy it?
One of the first things I read from IMG had to with the magic..along the lines of get rid of that and people will flock to the challenge cup final...
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Super League Magic Weekend relocated with Elland Road to replace St James' Park

Post by Mike »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:16 pm I honestly can't recall where I read it but it was made quite clear by IMG that in the effort to reduce the number of games Magic was more than likely to be a casualty . That's the way I read it if wrong I stand corrected.

EW
It dilutes the games two show piece finals.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

RFL official explains controversial Magic Weekend move to Elland Road

The 2024 Magic Weekend has been confirmed with the event set to be held at Leeds United’s Elland Road Stadium over the 17th to the 18th August.

The action will start on Saturday as Tony Smith’s Hull FC take on the newly promoted London Broncos. Then the biggest game of the weekend as the Champions take on the former Champions in the original derby as Wigan Warriors take on St Helens.

* Saturday concludes with two more teams with Grand Final history between them as Warrington Wolves take on Leeds Rhinos who will likely have a strong following being within their own city.

Then on Sunday 18th August Challenge Cup winners Leigh Leopards get the action under way against Salford Red Devils before Catalans Dragons v Hull KR. The weekend concludes with Huddersfield Giants v Castleford Tigers.

Many have questioned the decision but Rhodri Jones, the Managing Director of RL Commercial, has explained the decision: “Magic Weekend is going to have a different feel in 2024, as a result of the return to a date later in the summer to move away from the Betfred Challenge Cup Final in June, and the non-availability of St James’ Park which has proved such a popular venue for the last three years.

**“We are delighted to have agreed a deal with Leeds United FC to stage Magic Weekend at Elland Road, one of the biggest and best stadia in the north of England – and with a rich Rugby League history, having staged numerous big matches from the 1982 Challenge Cup Final replay to the World Cup semi final between Australia and New Zealand last year.

The fixtures formula we have used for Magic since 2019, which involves seeding teams into three groups of four based on their 2023 performance, has produced an intriguing line-up of matches, and with all clubs offering special pricing for Magic as part of their season tickets package, we would encourage fans to move quickly when tickets go on sale in the coming weeks”.

Serious About Rugby League also understands that the change of ownership of Newcastle has played a role in all of this.

Leeds United chief executive Angus Kinnear said: “Over recent years we have held some fantastic events at Elland Road, with some of the biggest games in Rugby League including the World Cup semi-final in 2022, along with England men’s and women’s international football fixtures and Josh Warrington’s world title boxing fight.

We are thrilled to be adding the 2024 Magic Weekend to that list, it is great for us as a club and will also bring economic benefits to the whole city of Leeds.

“Everyone knows what a special venue Elland Road is and we’re all looking forward to another great spectacle.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/rfl-offi ... oad-85367/
What a load of codswallop!!

* The RFL always veer towards Leeds for everything!

** Lloyd is trying to justify the selection of a dilapidated stadium!

Total balls up 🤨
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Another point which seems crazy to me . Why have 5 of the 6 best supported teams in Superleague all playing on the same day especially Leeds as i would imagine they will bring a massive following it being in Leeds .

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
endoman

Post by endoman »

Is there a single money paying fan in favour of this?
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

endoman wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:02 am Is there a single money paying fan in favour of this?
Probably Leeds fans, they won't have to go outside of their precious Yorkshire, Yorkshire :lol:
outback wiganer

Post by outback wiganer »

Mike wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:30 pm
doc wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:53 am Return to the Etihad would have been better.
Same football issues. No premeir league team is going to let you play on their pitch within a week of them playing. I would imagine that Old Trafford may not be available for the GF once our contract expires and their ownership changes (no idea what the agreement for that is at the moment).
What happens if Leeds United get promoted back into the Premier League. Surely they won't be too happy have 6 games of rugby league be played on their pitch just before the new season starts. Same scenario as St. James Park, Etihad Stadium etc.
I've only been to Elland Road once when England / Great Britain played Australia a few years ago. Awful Stadium. Hated it.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Well she who must be obeyed has spoken and for the first time we will miss the magic weekend and spend the money on the broncos trip,always love a day out in London so looking forward to that one
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I was mistaken about img they've been involved in the sport for the last 12 months not 2 years but they are very much involved now.

The future,or more likely non future of the magic weekend and the challenge cup they are "interlinked" (whatever that means) so again I was correct that the magic is dead duck as far as IMG are concerned,get saving for the coaches as neutrals to go the cup final in years to come..

Interesting listening to Rob HIcks,retired ref and now high up member of the rfl commenting on this,he comes across well but well worth a listen on the forty 20 podcast
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

outback wiganer wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:09 am
Mike wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:30 pm
doc wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:53 am Return to the Etihad would have been better.
Same football issues. No premeir league team is going to let you play on their pitch within a week of them playing. I would imagine that Old Trafford may not be available for the GF once our contract expires and their ownership changes (no idea what the agreement for that is at the moment).
What happens if Leeds United get promoted back into the Premier League. Surely they won't be too happy have 6 games of rugby league be played on their pitch just before the new season starts. Same scenario as St. James Park, Etihad Stadium etc.
I've only been to Elland Road once when England / Great Britain played Australia a few years ago. Awful Stadium. Hated it.
Why was that fixture made the week before the football season starts?

Get the Challenge Cup Final back to end of April beginning May, play Magic in July. Oh, I forgot that is far too simple instead keep changing the fixtures for these iconic showpiece events!!

RFL - Thick as pig 🐷 💩
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan