Super League Magic Weekend relocated with Elland Road to replace St James' Park

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
medlocke

Re: Super League Magic Weekend relocated with Elland Road to replace St James' Park

Post by medlocke »

Bring back winter rugby and the corner flags, make Rugby League great again
bertina

Re: Super League Magic Weekend relocated with Elland Road to replace St James' Park

Post by bertina »

That definitely counts me out.
A decision to hold it there just beggars belief.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:39 pm
Fan4Fifty wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:01 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:35 pm Magic has never appealed to me because I don't have the patience or stamina or interest to watch more than 1 match in a day. I went to nearly every Premiership final at Old Trafford and, when they added the 2nd Division final, I'd arrive during the 2nd half.

As it's so near this year, I may go to watch Wigan and half of another game.

My abiding memory of us at Elland Road was Graeme West making a break down the left and passing to Gilly to score. Obviously early 80s, I'd guess a cup semi and think it was against Hull KR with Gavin Miller one of their players of that era who I remember.

[Just googled it - it was the 1985 cup semi final.]
If I'm thinking about the same incident, wasn't it David Stephenson that scored? We'd been under the pump and Westy broke from a 25 yard line tap. Hull KR were a dominant team then so I think it was the most excited I've ever been at a match - great memory!!
It was stephenson who score and also Brian Juliff scored on the wing as John Ferguson hadnt come back yet
I bow to your superior memories.

My memory is not good for retaining detail, but I believe that I remember West getting the ball up above his head to pass to someone on the left wing who scored. Maybe I assumed it was Henderson as he did play and score in that match. Equally, I'm quite capable of combining incidents from two different matches and being convinced they were part of the same move. :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Newcastle Council 'disappointed' Super League's Magic Weekend will not return to the city next year

Magic Weekend is heading to Elland Road in 2024, despite many seeing Newcastle as its spiritual home.

Newcastle City Council is "disappointed" that Magic Weekend will not return to Newcastle next year - but remain confident that the city will host the event again. The Super League's annual event has been held at St James' Park seven times since 2015.

The stadium hosted the event between 2015 and 2018, before it moved onto Anfield in Liverpool in 2019. The Magic Weekend returned to St James' Park in 2021 and remained in the Toon during 2022 and 2023. However the next Magic Weekend will take place at Elland Road in Leeds. It will take place between August 17 and August 18, 2024, which will be during the Premier League season. All six fixtures will be shown on Sky Sports, following the announcement of a three-year broadcast deal.

Coun Alex Hay, Cabinet member for a Thriving City at Newcastle City Council , said: "Naturally we are disappointed Magic Weekend won't be returning to Newcastle next year.

"We have taken great pride in hosting the rugby league event in our city for the past three years. It has consistently provided a memorable weekend for both supporters and our residents. I am sure rugby league fans will have a great time at Elland Road. We have a fantastic relationship with the Super League and remain confident our city will host the event again in the future

The Yorkshire stadium becomes the sixth venue for the Magic Weekend since its inception back in 2007.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... source=nba
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Noticed that players, including Ryan Brierley and ex-official Richard Silverwood have been criticising the decsion to take Magic to Elland Road, good on them.
The Clubs themselves should have been more critical about this awful decision and forced the hand of the governing body to come up with a more attractive venue for the weekend and the fans, like myself, who attend all the games. I certainly will not be doing so at Elland Road.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It's about time players and the club officials said their piece it's not china the morons at rfl HQ when they've stopped looking round for another good concept to ruin should take note.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:18 pm
Firestarter wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:39 pm
Fan4Fifty wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:01 pm

If I'm thinking about the same incident, wasn't it David Stephenson that scored? We'd been under the pump and Westy broke from a 25 yard line tap. Hull KR were a dominant team then so I think it was the most excited I've ever been at a match - great memory!!
It was stephenson who score and also Brian Juliff scored on the wing as John Ferguson hadnt come back yet
I bow to your superior memories.

My memory is not good for retaining detail, but I believe that I remember West getting the ball up above his head to pass to someone on the left wing who scored. Maybe I assumed it was Henderson as he did play and score in that match. Equally, I'm quite capable of combining incidents from two different matches and being convinced they were part of the same move. :lol:
Trust me my memory isnt great but i do seem to remember stuff from the 80s, which is weird
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I have long since voiced my opinion that these "showpieces" water down further the need/want for season tickets and weekly crowd figures. However i do like the magic concept i think its a great idea as a a way to show a non-rugby league town the sport and the fans.

Putting in the rugby league heartland reduces the need for it

The only other suggestion is maybe to make it a 7/9's tournament over 2 days
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i dropped my daughter off in Leeds yesterday afternoon and can confirm it is still a dump :lol: :lol: :lol:

i dont think anything, even free tickets for everyone could change my thoughts on playing it at Elland Rd.

its in RL heartlands, so missing the big selling point from its original inception. The stadium is stuck in 1970s despite it having been developed, so big fail compared to Cardiff, Newcastle and Etihad

plus side, is there is a massive car park that is going to be empty, so any fans that decide to go can sit on there all day
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Been to every Magic weekend love it. This year we (5 from Scotland 1 from London) have decided to head to Elland road for the Wigan game and straight out again . Couple of pints in Leeds City Centre and train home .

RIP Magic Weekend

EW
2002 and EW is hooked