Opening fixtures 2024

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Opening fixtures 2024

Post by fozzieskem »

NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:03 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:08 pm Must admit it threw me the Leigh game being mentioned

Makes me think the WCC isn’t quite sealed yet but hopefully they get it over the line.

I’m stumped as to why Leigh at home wasn’t the first game for us. We’ve not had a home opener for ages, it’s a loop fixture opponent, it’s League Champions vs Cup Holders, it’s a local rivalry, Degsy would build the feeling around it moaning about obstructions and so on and on. If the WCC is on, we may well now play Leigh in a midweek, part way through the season. That will reduce what could’ve been a 20,000 crowd by 7,000 or 8,000. The powers that be just seem totally incapable of running the sport.
Agreed the rfl have always been morons where fixtures are concerned,say what you like about the Robert Elstone era he knew how to set fixtures up all that all seems to have been thrown away by the rfl and the blunder boys of iMG (isn't marketing their speciality?)
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Crazy fixture schedules. Makes it very difficult for families to spread the cost even if they have season tickets .

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:13 am If I'm reading things correctly 10 of our first 14 fixtures are away from home. What a way to get the crowds for the champions flooding in and will mean that most of our home fixtures will be during the main holiday season!! I know that we are always affected by the pitch maintenance issue but this seems ridiculous.
The reason for the away fixtures is that the DW pitch is re-seeded every year at the end of the football season. It balances out in the end!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:48 am Crazy fixture schedules. Makes it very difficult for families to spread the cost even if they have season tickets .

EW
Certainly no "flow" to the season and let's be honest this'll be before sky start faffing around moving games as they always do..still with us not doing the magic weekend this year busy sorting out what away games we can do.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:47 pm
Fan4Fifty wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:13 am If I'm reading things correctly 10 of our first 14 fixtures are away from home. What a way to get the crowds for the champions flooding in and will mean that most of our home fixtures will be during the main holiday season!! I know that we are always affected by the pitch maintenance issue but this seems ridiculous.
The reason for the away fixtures is that the DW pitch is re-seeded every year at the end of the football season. It balances out in the end!
I did reference the pitch maintenance issue if you read my post again and I know it balances out but as fozzieskem has said there is no apparent "flow" to the season, there are still more away games than home games in the period up to the middle of May and the Leigh home game in February will be rescheduled. Plus for those without a season ticket it becomes very expensive in the latter part of the season.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Hope we are in a good place come July. What a month that is
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:19 pm
I did reference the pitch maintenance issue if you read my post again and I know it balances out but as fozzieskem has said there is no apparent "flow" to the season, there are still more away games than home games in the period up to the middle of May and the Leigh home game in February will be rescheduled. Plus for those without a season ticket it becomes very expensive in the latter part of the season.
So, given that our stadium is not available, your criticism is that we don't have home fixtures scheduled during that period? That's what's ridiculous? I'm not sure who you're blaming here? Some are blaming the RFL and IMG, when it seems like its the stadium's location that is actually "at fault".
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Mike wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:53 pm
Fan4Fifty wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:19 pm

So, given that our stadium is not available, your criticism is that we don't have home fixtures scheduled during that period? That's what's ridiculous? I'm not sure who you're blaming here? Some are blaming the RFL and IMG, when it seems like its the stadium's location that is actually "at fault".
Please stop trying to put silly interpretations onto simple statements. If I have to spell it out, I know that the stadium isn't available to us from late May and into June and I know that if it's not available we can't play in it!!! So back to the observation about our fixture schedule, which is that we have very few SL matches, at home, until July. As a supporter it means that there is no pattern to watching games i.e. as far as possible one week away, one week home. Which means that fans get out of the habit of actually attending games (we are largely creatures of habit!), lowers attendances, reduces atmosphere and income to the club. I'm not blaming anyone, not being ridiculous, it is what it is, but I don't think 10 away games out of 14 is great for fans. Will I enjoy the back end of the season - of course I will but inevitably, probably like others, will miss more than I'd like because July/August is the holiday season. It's just a personal point of view!!