Shorrocks leaves the club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Shorrocks leaves the club

Post by morley pie eater »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:22 pm Shorrocks won us the easter derby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxxTYAN5Ths&t=414s

100% underrated player.
Thanks for posting the link, Caboose. I just watched it. I agree that Shorrocks had a great game along with Liam Marshall, Bevan, Harry Smith, Morgan Smithies, KPP . . . pretty much 1 to 17. My man of the match would have been Toby King.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:05 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:22 pm Shorrocks won us the easter derby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxxTYAN5Ths&t=414s

100% underrated player.
Thanks for posting the link, Caboose. I just watched it. I agree that Shorrocks had a great game along with Liam Marshall, Bevan, Harry Smith, Morgan Smithies, KPP . . . pretty much 1 to 17. My man of the match would have been Toby King.
i think it was one of those performances, where he just appeared everywhere, especially in defence / scrambling. If Field had played 6, i dont think we would have won the game (i know it would most likely have been different), as i dont think he would have been in the scrambling defensive positions that Joe got to that day

King was outstanding, especially coming out of our own 20m line, making yard after yard. I posted after the game that there was 1 set, where i think we had tackle 1 & 2 on our own line, then King, Wardle, King took us to the half way line, Smith kick and Saints were turning round on their own line. Its those big efforts coming out from our own line that we will miss from him this year
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Would Shorrocks have known of Salfords financial plight before signing? If it is for “more game time” I’d have stayed at Wigan with a guarantee of wages etc.

I sense a bit of spin here in the realms of “not needed”
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I would sooner keep Shorrocks than Hampshire. But we don’t know if Hampshire is staying or not. Anybody know?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

ancientnloyal wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:43 pm Would Shorrocks have known of Salfords financial plight before signing? If it is for “more game time” I’d have stayed at Wigan with a guarantee of wages etc.

I sense a bit of spin here in the realms of “not needed”
you would think not

if you take the transfer on face value, i get why he wants to move and its something i personally respect, in that he could sit at Wigan, play maybe 6-10 bit part games throughout the year knowing he it a utility player or move elsewhere with the intention of being a 1st team starter and playing 20+ games per year

however, take the Salford position into account, and it does put it in a different light. He may have still moved but to say Leigh, Huddersfield or AN other if the options were there. There's no doubt that Rowley / Blease etc will have massively sold Salford to him, but equally will he have known how much of a potential off field s*** storm he was walking into, i would say unlikely, but he will have heard the rumours / publicly aired stuff about the ground. There is no way Rowley or Blease would have tried to sell Salford as, come to us Joe, we may not have a ground, we've no money so you may not get paid but we are a good club and would love you here
morley pie eater

Are the problems at Salford really all about the ground? Have they been "living within their means"?

I don't know the answers and am not anti-Salford. I want them, and all clubs, to survive and thrive. But the same goes for Bradford, Cas, Workington, Whitehaven, London Broncos or Newcastle Knights.

There does seem to be a hint of bias on here when it comes to deciding which teams to sympathise with and which to condemn or criticise - often without knowledge of all the facts, as in this case.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
jobo

Post by jobo »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:13 am Are the problems at Salford really all about the ground? Have they been "living within their means"?

I don't know the answers and am not anti-Salford. I want them, and all clubs, to survive and thrive. But the same goes for Bradford, Cas, Workington, Whitehaven, London Broncos or Newcastle Knights.

There does seem to be a hint of bias on here when it comes to deciding which teams to sympathise with and which to condemn or criticise - often without knowledge of all the facts, as in this case.
I doubt any club in Super League live within their means. If you can't find a wealthy benefactor, even with fairly substantial crowds, RL can't cover its costs.

Think Salford have plenty of wealthy supporters but none of them are willing to stump up a million or so each year.
morley pie eater

jobo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:22 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:13 am Are the problems at Salford really all about the ground? Have they been "living within their means"?

I doubt any club in Super League live within their means. If you can't find a wealthy benefactor, even with fairly substantial crowds, RL can't cover its costs.

Think Salford have plenty of wealthy supporters but none of them are willing to stump up a million or so each year.
I think maybe my meaning wasn't clear there. I'm commenting on the report headed "Salford Red Devils placed under special measures due to financial concerns". Other clubs, as far as I'm aware, are not under special measures due to financial concerns.

My question is, is this really all about the stadium, or are there other financial issues?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐