19th man

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

19th man

Post by Mike »

We'll have to be 19s in the crowd as it seems like it's going to be more likely that the 18th man will be on the pitch in any given game.

Overall I think most of this is sensible and a good reaction to the ways the players were trying to exploit the rules last season. The 18th man stuff seems a reasonable way to not disadvantage a team who's been the victim of foul play.

BBC News - Head injury assessment and lower-limb tackle laws among RFL Board amendments
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/67521073
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Re: 19th man

Post by fozzieskem »

I think sooner rather than later we will see the 18th man make way for a full-time substitute no bad thing either they look to be getting serious about the head injuries again no bad thing no doubt as teams adjust to the new rules there'll be outrage at the rules so they need to be sensible but firm applying them
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:52 am I think sooner rather than later we will see the 18th man make way for a full-time substitute no bad thing either they look to be getting serious about the head injuries again no bad thing no doubt as teams adjust to the new rules there'll be outrage at the rules so they need to be sensible but firm applying them
And consistent
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

I don’t see why they don’t make the bench 6 players. Still have only 8 subs allowed.

Meaning teams could play a half or an outside back on the bench and not be completely screwed if someone has to go off with a HIA.

Also bout time we moved away from the loyal 18 thing, bit cringe Imo.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Must admit the fan 18th man thing has,for me run its course.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Said for years that the number originally named in the match day squad should all be available to play.
It used to be 19 players named and now is 21. So why reduce them to 17 an hours or so before KO?
Have them all available to play.
OK name the starting 13 plus subs as now but instead of four have the remaining 8 available.
Same number of interchanges but from the 21 not 17!
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Watching most of the games on SKY, my opinion is that most contact with the head comes from "friendly fire" ie' from a team-mate

Does this mean both defending players will now get sent off ?

Not seen anyone able to answer this
Back by demand.