Ian Lenagan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Ian Lenagan

Post by morley pie eater »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:12 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:17 am
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:58 am

I rather suspect most teams would kill for the "sporadic" success Wigan enjoyed under Lenegans tenure of course he made mistakes the most glaring was chasing Edwards which many on here supported even though he had no experience whatsoever in league coaching for 20 years or so,it wasn't a dream it was bloody daft.
No, the most glaring mistake was rolling out Edwards to the press without actually having signed a contract.

That was without a shadow of doubt the most incompetent actionI have ever seen in professional sport.

As said, Madge was the best thing he did.

Overall he did "okay" imo.
You know something I'd forgotten they'd had the Edwards press conference yes not good was it but that ying to the Maguire Yang it all balances out grashopper
:D :D :D :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:03 am I wish him a happy retirement and was pleased to see him lift the GF trophy at OT but overall his tenure was not very good. Saints won the GF four years in a row. We had sporadic success after he took over.

Madge was an inspired signing but we’d already suffered Noble too long. After he left Wane had success initially but it went down hill after that bar another GF win.

I can’t put my finger on it but I never felt he was the ideal owner.
Try taking some happy pills, Dave.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
PorterjohLam

Post by PorterjohLam »

DaveO wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:03 am I wish him a happy retirement and was pleased to see him lift the GF trophy at OT but overall his tenure was not very good. Saints won the GF four years in a row. We had sporadic success after he took over.

Madge was an inspired signing but we’d already suffered Noble too long. After he left Wane had success initially but it went down hill after that bar another GF win.

Some people are never satisfied I guess.

All the best IL - you put Wigan back where they should be.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

PorterjohLam wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:52 am

Some people are never satisfied I guess.

All the best IL - you put Wigan back where they should be.
👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼🏉🍒⚪️❤️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

(Edited your post BS, as I think you quoted the wrong post. The post quoted was about the wins, trophy’s etc & not the Edwards one )😊

It's bloody rubbish !!

Christ ! What do some people want ???

He took us from a fading team on the decline to a club that is run well, respected, with a real place in the community and values you can stand behind and be proud of when supporting as your club.

His management team treat people as adults, give them some freedom but instill the importance of being there for your mates, responsibility, accountability. That's the sort of club I want to support, not somewhere ruled by a watertight contract and an iron fist. He recognises that people are individuals not commodities.

Some criticise the Edwards decision, but he did it with good faith and expectation that someone he knew well wouldn't stitch him up. Unfortunately that happened - but I think it reflects worse on Edwards rather than Ian.

He's put the soul back into Wigan.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Big Steve wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:57 pm
Karl Carpenter wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:04 am Ian Lenagan honours with Wigan Warriors as Chairman & Owner:

Super League Grand Final Winner – 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018, 2023
Super League Runners Up – 2014, 2015, 2020.
Challenge Cup Winner – 2011, 2013, 2022.
League Leaders – 2010, 2012, 2020, 2023.
World Club Challenge Winner – 2017.

That’s not a bad record at all and one I think most supporters would be happy with.

Enjoy your retirement, Mr. Lenagan and thank you.
It's bloody rubbish !!

He took us from a fading team on the decline to a club that is run well, respected, with a real place in the community and values you can stand behind and be proud of when supporting as your club.

His management team treat people as adults, give them some freedom but instill the importance of being there for your mates, responsibility, accountability. That's the sort of club I want to support, not somewhere ruled by a watertight contract and an iron fist. He recognises that people are individuals not commodities.

Some criticise the Edwards decision, but he did it with good faith and expectation that someone he knew well wouldn't stitch him up. Unfortunately that happened - but I think it reflects worse on Edwards rather than Ian.

Well put
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Big Steve wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:57 pm (Edited your post BS, as I think you quoted the wrong post. The post quoted was about the wins, trophy’s etc during his tenure as owner & not the Edwards one )😊

It's bloody rubbish !!

And I think you’re right about Edwards decision & as you said Mr Lenagan did it in good faith. Edwards went down in my estimation after that.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I entirely agree with Big Steve, and would add that he also had good ideas for the direction of the game and tried to make SL more professional. Even his “mistakes” - arguably, bringing back players too readily and being too slow to move on when things were not working - spring from positive qualities of loyalty and optimism.