Contact Above the Armpit

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Contact Above the Armpit

Post by Mike »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:53 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:42 pm
Ipinwigan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:08 pm Latest story on Totalrl - headline "Any contact above the armpit could be made illegal in professional rugby league by 2025"
I have been saying it for a couple of years, the sport is doomed, tick rugby only allowed by 2025/2026.
This season will be a trial for new head high, over the shoulder tackles and could make games a complete disaster.
It's not going to be the sport I was brought up with and is going to change for the worse.

It must be me then.i was brought up with the sport where your drilled into tackling around the legs. So what's changing there's no need in tackling techniques to go anywhere near the head. My coach always said straight for the legs he can't go anywhere without them. That's still true today. I understand the game as changed as closing down players from offloading but even that doesn't require anyone anywhere near the head . the risks must be cut down for me avoiding anywhere near head is correct way and also nothing new from what I was brought up on many years ago.
Going for the legs is what they teach kids.

You cannot do that at any decent level of rugby league or else the player lands on his front, gets a quick play of the ball and gives the attacking advantage as the defence is likely not yet set.
As keptinthedark says, that change in technique is pretty recent IMO, so people complaining that the game "won't be the same as the as it used to be" - well it never is. Its constantly evolving with tactics, player physicality, training techniques, coaching styles. The one thing that is constant is change and always has been.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
doc

Post by doc »

Changing the rules may also open up the attacking game and open up the sport to more players.

Years ago, as an 11 stone winger, I could tackle 15 stone props round the legs. I don't think I could cope physically with today's tackle technique where first contact is essentially a body check then a wrestle.

I overheard the "fat controller", Nigel Woods, once saying that the amateur game is getting too tough wrt strength and fitness levels for a lot of people to play. While i disagree with the fitness bit I can somewhat see his point with respect to strength. The new tackling laws would go someway to evening things up.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Rest in Peace Rugby League” – Super League stars furious about new tackle rule

The RFL have confirmed some huge rule changes heading into 2024 and beyond which will change the sport of rugby league forever.

At lower levels of the game, contact rugby will be outlawed until the age of 10 whilst in Super League tackles above the armpit will be outlawed from 2025 onwards in keeping with the rest of the sport which will move to this rule in 2024.

The RFL say that this is done to achieve the following: “To increase the appeal and accessibility of Rugby League, especially at junior and community levels.”

However, there has been significant hit back with fans calling it “the death of rugby league” whilst others have said “get ready for 300 penalties.” Some even described it as a joke.

Former official Richard Silverwood has said it is “confusing” and that he pities the officials who have to enforce this.

Crucially the players have been against this as well. Former Castleford Tigers, Hull FC and St Helens star Jordan Turner said: “Rest in Peace. Watched a game of the trailed rules last season, worst game of RL I’ve ever seen…well in fact it wasn’t RL. Whoever is responsible for this I hope you understand the magnitude of what’s happening. 2024 might be the end for a lot of players.”

Wigan Warriors star Tyler Dupree added: “Won’t work, only thing this will achieve is killing the sport.”

His former Salford Red Devils teammate Oliver Partington said: “Sad day for the sport, can only guess it was decided by people who don’t actually play the game.”

This was reposted on X by Hull KR star Mikey Lewis.

Tony Sutton, the RFL’s Chief Executive who also chairs the Brain Health Sub-Committee, hosted a media conference at which the recommendations were outlined at Rugby League’s Etihad headquarters on Thursday December 7.

He was joined by a number of other members of the Brain Health Sub-Committee, including the RFL’s Chief Medical Officer Dr Chris Brookes, and other influential voices from the sport and defended the decision.

Sutton heavily defended the rules which it is believed by many in the game had to be done.

Tony Sutton, himself, said: “In stressing the significance of these recommendations which have now been ratified by the RFL’s independent Board of Directors, we acknowledge the challenges they will pose for those at all levels of the sport.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/rest-in- ... ule-86059/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Might as well become tag rugby.
Think this sport could be semi professional soon, or just amateur.
Its gonna kill the game, they’ll be nothing but stoppages.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

At least once again we are getting players being critical of these crazy decisions, like the decision to take Magic to Elland Road.
I fear that this season, even more so than last season, will see even more penalties, sin bins and sending offs, with even more players banned.
The people who run the game need to start taking into account current players thoughts and the reaction of the fans, without them there won't be a sport to play or watch.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Ipinwigan wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:57 am At least once again we are getting players being critical of these crazy decisions, like the decision to take Magic to Elland Road.
I fear that this season, even more so than last season, will see even more penalties, sin bins and sending offs, with even more players banned.
The people who run the game need to start taking into account current players thoughts and the reaction of the fans, without them there won't be a sport to play or watch.
Lawyers...simple as that probable court case that if the former players win there won't be a game left anyway,no one really wants this change but this case is coming and for the rfl to do nothing is madness,all they are doing is reacting to this no point players or fans bitching and moaning until this case is sorted one way or the other it's the way forward
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Court case involving players like Bobbie Goulding, the player famous for his head high, clothes line, tackle, if you can call it that, on Martin Offiah in the '93 Cup Final.
Perhaps Offiah should be counter suing him.
Looks like the game is domed to fail one way or another.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Shocking decision for me personally. Completely understand the player safety aspect but let’s be honest these athletes know enough of the game to take the risk.

I played my first game for Wigan St Pats against Ince St Bills when I was 6. It was full contact in the winter and I broke my nose towards the end. I felt like superman when the pain wore off. They’re taking what’s special about our game out of it.

I live in a town of football fans now and I’m a teacher who loves nothing more than educating the kids about how rough and tough the game is. It’s a sad time for RL
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

This approach is likely going to work as a double pronged attack on the sport, from the parasites taking the legal route (albeit perhaps not absolutely) and the reactionary mollification from the RFL
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

This approach is likely going to work as a double pronged attack on the sport, from the parasites taking the legal route (albeit perhaps not absolutely) and the reactionary mollification from the RFL
Another possible example of that is contained in a post that has cropped up on Facebook in the Wigan supporters group claiming to give sight to an RFL document that says the number of minutes a player can play in a season will be limited to 2000 for a forward and 2400 for a back. 2000 minutes is equal to 25 80 minute games.

On the face of it if this is true it might not sound like it makes much difference but I think I am correct in saying if a club is successful in getting Wembley it could with the loop fixtures, magic, cup and playoffs play 34 games in one season.

Wigan had 7 players play more than 25 games last season and we didn’t get to the cup final and didn't need to play the maximum number of playoff games to get to the GF. The backs would most likely play the full 80 as well.

French & Smith 29. Smithies, King & Wardle 28. Faz 27 and Marshall 26. I think they are all 80 minute players even Faz. That does not include any international involvement which presumably must also count.

If this is correct I can see clubs not wanting to release players for internationals and those will smaller squads facing all sorts of issues trying to keep their smaller squads below the limits.