Joe Burgess set for Salford Red Devils exit after disciplinary matter

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Joe Burgess set for Salford Red Devils exit after disciplinary matter

Post by josie andrews »

The winger has been made available to club in recent days.

Joe Burgess is set for a shock exit from Salford Red Devils. Rugby League Live can reveal the winger is currently not training with the Super League club and has been offered to rival clubs in recent days.

It comes following an unspecified disciplinary matter which has resulted in his future at the club being deemed untenable and promoted his representatives to start searching for a new club. The Reds have one of the smallest squads in Super League but it's believed that they too see no future for the 29-year-old at the club.

An England international, Burgess made his breakthrough at Wigan Warriors and had a one-year spell in the NRL, where he scored seven tries in 13 appearances. He returned to his boyhood club a year later and spent another four seasons there before moving to Salford ahead of the 2021 season. In total, Burgess has scored 112 tries in 166 Super League games.

However, his future now appears to be elsewhere, which is particularly interesting given Salford recently lost fellow winger Ken Sio, who was released for personal reasons. It means the Reds are set to be without their first-choice wingers from the past two seasons. Nevertheless, the matter has been deemed serious enough for Salford to believe it's the best move for the club.

Salford do have a quota spot at their disposal which could see them search overseas for a new recruit. Domestically, former Wakefield Trinity winger Lee Kershaw remains a free agent.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Joe Burgess set for Salford Red Devils exit after disciplinary matter

Post by fozzieskem »

What a mess Salford are in at the moment
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:51 am What a mess Salford are in at the moment
What a mess Budgie is in.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:27 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:51 am What a mess Salford are in at the moment
Personally strikes me as Salford trying to cull players wherever they can ive seen a rumour around this and if the rumour is true then far more likely for salford to be using an opportunity rather than the incident being worthy
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:42 pm
Personally strikes me as Salford trying to cull players wherever they can ive seen a rumour around this and if the rumour is true then far more likely for salford to be using an opportunity rather than the incident being worthy
I've heard nowt other than what I've read but it does seem a cull of top earners is going on regardless of the right or wrongs,like I say an absolute mess.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:00 pm

I've heard nowt other than what I've read but it does seem a cull of top earners is going on regardless of the right or wrongs,like I say an absolute mess.
It looks like he didn’t attend training due to a wedding celebration that may have gone on longer than planned.
doc

Post by doc »

Not like Budgie to do something like that. never really hear anything negative about his off-field or on-field conduct.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:15 pm

It looks like he didn’t attend training due to a wedding celebration that may have gone on longer than planned.
Umm well if that's it then I do feel it's more Salford getting rid of top earners as it's clear he still has plenty to offer any side in SL
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:21 pm
Umm well if that's it then I do feel it's more Salford getting rid of top earners as it's clear he still has plenty to offer any side in SL
this is what i heard to hence me saying you only go for that if the team want to get shut
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:19 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:21 pm

this is what i heard to hence me saying you only go for that if the team want to get shut
Oh I'd agree with you mate if this is what they've done him for it's more about penny pinching than anything else