Contact Above the Armpit

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Contact Above the Armpit

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Heard or read that only one insurance company will insure us.
If they back out then there's no game!

Perhaps this is why we've brought in so many forwards. With them playing reduced games/minutes we will obviously need more bodies to take us forward taking into account injuries and suspensions.
doc

Post by doc »

Maybe having Prof. Brookes on the board that came up with the new regulations gave us a head start on other teams and helped us with squad planning for the coming years, hence the signing of a lot of forwards.
doc

Post by doc »

Raging Penguin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:36 am https://www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/news/202 ... in%202024.

the above may help for further reading, however having access to the actual study would be more useful. has anybody found it or got a copy of it?
see link

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 4023003869
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

Thankyou
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 4023003869
Whilst this study provides the most comprehensive, multi-year quantification of concussion incidence in elite senior and academy rugby league players in England and France, it is not without limitations. The RFL collects concussion data routinely, so one would expect coding and entry errors to be minimal; however, the authors relied on data being accurately transposed from completed concussion assessments to a computerised format. As data were anonymised by the RFL, player characteristics, including age, player position, and previous concussion and return date were not available. Therefore, injury severity and burden were not calculable and other influences on concussion incidence could not be included in the analysis. In addition, it was also not possible to evaluate factors which could influence concussion incidence such as tackle mechanisms or physical characteristics.
hmm
endoman

Post by endoman »

what would be nice ( but impossible) would be see data from the previous 50 years plus. There is no statistically significant change in the concussion rate seen in this study over the study period. There are so many holes can be picked in it, eg limiting time on the pitch for age / position yet these were not available in the study. A lot of assumptions being made.
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

Also if it is an insurance issue, it seems like that is a strawman, as how do other sports manage, such as boxing?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Raging Penguin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:32 pm Also if it is an insurance issue, it seems like that is a strawman, as how do other sports manage, such as boxing?
Isn't a "strawman" argument intentionally misrepresenting the issue to make it easier to argue against? Not sure that applies here. I will admit I don't know how boxing deals with insurance, might be interesting to find out what happens there and see if there are any parallels.

I don't really understand why you need to tackle the shoulders of a player anyway TBH. Square on in the chest is good enough to put a big hit in isn't it?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

Mike wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:36 pm
Raging Penguin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:32 pm Also if it is an insurance issue, it seems like that is a strawman, as how do other sports manage, such as boxing?
Isn't a "strawman" argument intentionally misrepresenting the issue to make it easier to argue against? Not sure that applies here. I will admit I don't know how boxing deals with insurance, might be interesting to find out what happens there and see if there are any parallels.

I don't really understand why you need to tackle the shoulders of a player anyway TBH. Square on in the chest is good enough to put a big hit in isn't it?
This wasn't directed at you, Moreso the issue of insurance to perhaps deflect from the legal pursuit. it could be both and was why i used the word "seems" as i am not sure either, and i could have perhaps been clearer.

However it does seem these changes are a reactionary mollification, which i am struggling to work out any positives for
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

Raging Penguin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:13 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:36 pm

This wasn't directed at you, Moreso the issue of insurance to perhaps deflect from the legal pursuit. it could be both and was why i used the word "seems" as i am not sure either, and i could have perhaps been clearer.

However it does seem these changes are a reactionary mollification, which i am struggling to work out any positives for
I agree it can be good enough, but to then have an arbitrary limit, for what could result in further creeping limits. For instance, how long before the impact of being tackled and hitting the ground is measured for "safety" rhetoric