Loch Lomond Legends: Frano Botica

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Loch Lomond Legends: Frano Botica

Post by josie andrews »

archiekeith wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:28 pm
archiekeith wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:26 am
ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:06 pm Perhaps Wigans second greatest kicker after Mr Sullivan
The unforgettable Jimmy Birts Leg and!upsy daisy 😂
I am obviously kidding,however, in relation to the subject title, I don't know what the significance of Loch Lomand is ,perhaps someone will tell me ? I must have seen all of Botica's goalkick's but try as I can I can't remember any single kick at all. I do recall his hitting the posts already referred to but not any particular goal or near miss. In fact I can only remember 3x kicks quite clearly eg the said Jimmy Birts effort,Joe Lydon's long range drop goal at Maine Rd if memory serves and the audacious kick,collect ,try executed by Henry Paul at Central Park. All legendary in my opinion.
To have Frano visit the Warriors Is good to see and I think well worth the entrance fee
They’re a BIG sponsor for Wigan Warriors
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

archiekeith wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:21 pm
Firestarter wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:56 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:51 pm

I have watched them since early 60s Mike and best kicker I have seen. Looking forward to it. Went to night with ellery Hanley last Saturday night was a great night. He was there when I got there at 6.30 and still there when I left at 11.30 mixing with people his talk was brilliant never swore once and talked about all players he had played with. Even Edward's called in to see him .
My dad said he was the best kicker he had seen and he came as a fly half mike.Stand off was his beat position although he was very comfortable at seven and wing and fullback also
Yes, second only to Grant Fox who was first choice for the All Blacks, who was chosen above the 5" 9" Botica's because of his better kicking abilities ( Botica's was considered more of a running 10 than a kicking 10 the position "fly half " was known as 1st five 8 2nd five 8 being scrum half" in New Zealand
Im sure i once read that fox had stated that frano was actually a better goalkicker than himself but it was a long time ago so could be wrong
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

As i remember the all blacks also had mathew ridge and john schuster on the bench who both became excellent league players and great goal kickers also
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Could be a good question to ask Frano when he visits Wigan. Both exceptional kickers as well as the two you mention by the way do you happen to know Why Loch Lomond relative to the above subject our posts. Just curious ?. Thanks Josie