Smith: Strengthensing the camaraderie

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Smith: Strengthensing the camaraderie

Post by josie andrews »

* Harry Smith has praised the ‘togetherness’ of the squad after the Warriors completed their first training session in Portugal.

* Smith: “The most important benefit is strengthening the camaraderie and togetherness of the squad whilst building our physical fitness.”

* The Warriors will complete a 10-day training camp in Portugal in the next stage of pre-season.

Harry Smith has praised the strength of the squads ‘camaraderie and togetherness’ after the Warriors completed their first training session in Portugal.

After completing six weeks of pre-season at Robin Park Arena, the Warriors flew to Portugal on Monday morning to continue their preparations for the new season in warmer weather.

Smith re-joined Matt Peet’s squad alongside Liam Farrell before Christmas after an extended break due to the duos participation in England’s series win over Tonga, in which Smith was named ‘Player of the Series’.

Speaking after the first training session in Portugal, Smith said: “It’s been a productive first day. I’ve enjoyed the first weeks of being back and seeing familiar faces as well as meeting the new lads who have already brought a lot to training so far. Hopefully the intensity we had today will continue growing for the rest of the camp.”

The Warriors completed a full first day of training in warm conditions which included an early morning start out on the field before a further session in the gym in the afternoon.

On the benefits of the training camp, Smith said: “The most important benefit is strengthening the camaraderie and togetherness of the squad whilst building our physical fitness. A change in environment improves players and makes them train that little bit harder, and at the end of the camp bonds will have been made.”

Training in Portugal presents a vastly different environment to the early morning session the squad endured at Formby Beach before Christmas. Despite the toughness of the task, Smith believes the squad benefitted physically and mentally.

He said: “The camaraderie and togetherness of the group showed in that session where you have to push through a hard situation. It’s important to instil that toughness in the team as you are going to need it in the big games. There was lots of encouragement and dragging others through tougher times so when you hit your fatigue others were there to get you through.”

The Warriors are working towards pre-season matches against Wakefield Trinity and Hull FC, before the Super League season gets underway against Castleford Tigers next month.

Looking ahead to the start of the 2024 campaign, Smith said: “We still don’t want to get too far ahead of ourselves as we are just focusing on improving physically and mentally each day that comes. We are still understanding the tendencies of our new teammates and how they like to play, but we are working towards the bigger picture of being able to play flowing rugby without anyone needing to think.”

Smith enjoyed a successful 2023 season on the pitch which saw the halfback lift the Super League Trophy and League Leaders’ Shield, as well as surpassing 500 Super League points and 100 Club appearances.

In addition, Smith penned a new long-term deal with the Warriors in December, which will see the halfback remain contracted until the end of the 2027 season.

Reflecting on his recent achievements, Smith said: “I’ve had time to look back on the year but it was only after I’d finished with England and I started seeing the family more that I was able to sit down and speak about what we achieved.

“Sorting out the contract was big as that’s helped me settle and I’m ready to move on to next season and hopefully better what we did last year. As a team we will speak about the goals we have and what we want to achieve together, but consistency is our most important one. Hopefully things will go well for us next season if everyone is consistent.”

More than 20,000 supporters have purchased tickets for February’s World Club Challenge clash against Penrith Panthers at the DW Stadium. Don’t miss out and secure your tickets HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/01/ ... maraderie/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan