New players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: New players

Post by morley pie eater »

Far be it from me to be the odd one out, or to contribute to an off-topic thread . . . but, though I do agree with some of the sentiments, I think there's a danger of looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses.

Let me explain by way of giving you some examples from our glorious past, all from personal experience in Hindley in the 1950s and 60s:

• Pubs smashed up when lads doing National Service came home on leave.
• Avoiding a direct route home for fear of getting beaten up by lads from a "rival" school.
• Many kids didn't know the difference between borrow and lend - I know cos I was one of them.
• My dad had a corner shop and I remember him chasing along Chapel Green Road after a lad with a full jar of sweets under his arm, stolen from our shop while his mate was asking for something from a top shelf for distraction.

I could name the pubs, the schools and even the sweet thief - these are not generalisations but facts.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:03 pm Depends on the school Josie.
My grandsons are taught correct spellings and grammar. The younger one, aged 7, read to/with me after their tea last night.
They have little tests every one or two weeks.
All depends on the school!

As far as the club website, they need to do better in keeping it up to date.
Yes I understand that Ted, but a lot of kids today are illiterate. And no common sense!!

As to the website!! Advertising hospitality for the WCC;
South Stand Lounge Two Course Package

Located in South Stand Ground Floor
– Adults: £82.50, Senior £78.50, Junior (12-17) £70, Junior U12 £50 (VAT will be added to all prices listed).

Marquee Lounge Two Course Package

Located in South Stand Ground Floor – Adults: £87.50, Senior £83.50, Junior (12-17) £75, Junior U12 £55 (VAT will be added to all prices listed)
Going to be a very full South Stand Bar!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
PJC

Post by PJC »

Point of interest . It’s off topic but in topic with this one. It was stated recently that the hard R is being used less and less. Car etc has become caa.
Now back to Rugby. New season has a lot to be optimistic about.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:54 pm Far be it from me to be the odd one out, or to contribute to an off-topic thread . . . but, though I do agree with some of the sentiments, I think there's a danger of looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses.

Let me explain by way of giving you some examples from our glorious past, all from personal experience in Hindley in the 1950s and 60s:

• Avoiding a direct route home for fear of getting beaten up by lads from a "rival" school.
• Many kids didn't know the difference between borrow and lend - I know cos I was one of them.
• My dad had a corner shop and I remember him chasing along Chapel Green Road after a lad with a full jar of sweets under his arm, stolen from our shop while his mate was asking for something from a top shelf for distraction.

I could name the pubs, the schools and even the sweet thief - these are not generalisations but facts.
Morley, i've lived in Hindley most of my life and it aint changed :)
jobo

Post by jobo »

the pieman wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:01 am
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:54 pm Far be it from me to be the odd one out, or to contribute to an off-topic thread . . . but, though I do agree with some of the sentiments, I think there's a danger of looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses.

😂😂
morley pie eater

the pieman wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:01 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Anyone from Hindley who is old enough might remember our shop at the top of Argyle St, actually on Chapel Green Road. It was known as "the lucky dip" and better known for selling penny ice lollies, mostly Vimto flavour (also frozen Vimtos at a massive 4d !!!). I still have callouses/hard skin on my knuckles from pulling the lollies out of the moulds, which were actually egg cups!

The shop was in our family from probably before the first world war when my grandad started it, to 1966 when my dad sold it as supermarkets took over.

Just to be on topic - I'm chuffed with the quality of new players we've signed and looking forward with great anticipation to the start of the new season. Hoping to see our 5th gold star on the shirts this year too.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐