Wigan Warriors suffer blow for World Club Challenge

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors suffer blow for World Club Challenge

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors have been handed a blow ahead of next month’s World Club Challenge clash against Penrith Panthers after confirmation that Penrith star Jarome Luai will likely be fit for the match.

Luai is one of Penrith’s playmakers in the halves alongside Nathan Cleary and among the best in the NRL at that, as highlighted by the fact that Wests Tigers have signed him on a huge five-year deal for the 2025 season onwards.

The playmaker left the Grand Final with a shoulder injury which allowed former Huddersfield Giants man Jack Cogger to step up and partner Cleary, who himself put on one of the finest final 25 minutes of half-back play you’re ever likely to see to help the Panthers come from behind and win.

Since that win in October Luai has gone under the knife for shoulder surgery and according to his teammates he is expecting to play in next month’s World Club Challenge, the Panthers looking to avenge last year’s loss to St Helens.

Panthers’ full-back Dylan Edwards told the Daily Telegraph: ““I’m not sure of the exact time line, but he is training very well, doing a lot of rehab and working really hard, so he is going to give himself every chance.

“We would love to send him off on a high note. He is still one of our brothers and he is going to compete as hard as he can this year, so hopefully send him off as a winner.”

The 26-year-old Luai has played 107 games for the Panthers after debuting in 2018 and has been a key member in lifting the last three Grand Finals.

His deal with Wests Tigers is expected to pay him $1.2 million per season across the five years, totalling $6 million, whereas Penrith reportedly had offered two years at $850,000 per year.

If Luai does in fact return to face Wigan it will be a huge blow to the hopes of Matt Peet’s side who are aiming to win their fifth World Club Challenge.

Meanwhile Penrith are aiming for their first despite contesting the game three times before in their history, including in 1991 where they lost to Wigan at Anfield.

The game so far looks to be heading to a sell out at the DW Stadium with 22,000 tickets sold already five weeks out from the clash on February 24th.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-wa ... nge-87294/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan Warriors suffer blow for World Club Challenge

Post by josie andrews »

Why it’s a blow for Wigan Warriors is beyond me, he’s not Superman!

He’s just a man like any other 😊. ( Except a Wigan Warrior 😉🏉🍒⚪️❤️ )
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Beryl O'Neill

Post by Beryl O'Neill »

Not a problem in my opinion you've got to be the best to beat the best nobody will ever beat Wigan if they are in that mood nearly always are in big matches 😀💯
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Think I would be more worried if I was penrith if all the Hope's are riding on one man. Its laughable to even write such sh,t. To be the best you have to beat the best no excuses given or taken.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

A most ridiculous headline (from, it must be said, a ridiculous clickbait of a website !).
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I 100% want to see us win this game but I also want to watch top players irrespective of who they play for.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:06 pm I 100% want to see us win this game but I also want to watch top players irrespective of who they play for.
+1
kitt green warriors

Post by kitt green warriors »

I don't personally rate Luai, he has been riding Cleary's coat tails and next year when he's at Wests we'll see what he's all about, in my opinion he's the most arrogant player I've seen in a long time and I don't think his game gives him the right to be that arrogant, an average player with an amazing halfback partner in my opinion.
I always knew that I liked this place, you don't have to look to far to find a friendly face, I feel alive when I'm walking on this street, I feel the heart of this city pounding underneath my feet, yeah if the world keeps spinning round and round this is were it all goes down,down,down, THAT'S WHY I LOVE THIS TOWN!.
Bon Jovi "Lost Highway" 2007