Wigan to host Penrith in Betfred World Club Challenge

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Wigan to host Penrith in Betfred World Club Challenge

Post by medlocke »

Ipinwigan wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:06 am
medlocke wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:03 pm
josie andrews wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:08 pm

😂😂 Where did you find that, gotta pinch it please 😂😂
It popped up earlier on Facebook, dunno if it's real but it's proper funny like
Saw it and showed it to my partner who is a Stains fan, she told me to f**k off :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:51 am
morley pie eater wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:26 am It says "Nathan Clearly on the 2023 World Club Challenge."
The quote initially refers to the Saints match, which was in 2023,
but goes on to the just announced game v Wigan for 2024.
I don't see any significance in the date quoted.
Will highlight it in the open post regarding this game please as I’ve read it several times & have not seen any of your post mentioned.

I must be going slightly mad 🤪
It's in green right at the end, Josie. (I'm referring to Med's post and the Clearly "quote", no the op.)
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

So it’s nothing at all to do with the opening post!!

I drove myself bloody demented & got a bloody headache reading the OP over & over because I thought the statement/s were referring to the OP & I’d missed something in the original thread on the Warriors website

If you are quoting a post please use it & not just some unintelligent reply that no one knows what you are talking about

Thank you
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan have now confirmed that ticket sales have surpassed 20,000 which is an incredible figure, particularly given the game is over six weeks away.

The game is stated for the 24th February at the DW Stadium and is looking like it will be a sell out with fans urged to purchase their tickets now or potentially miss out given such huge sales.

A crowd of 24,275 watched Wigan host St Helens in the Good Friday derby this past season and it’s expected that the clash against Penrith will attain a similar, if not larger crowd.

For reference Wigan Athletic played Manchester United in the FA Cup last night with just 22,870 in attendance, highlighting what a rugby league heartland Wigan is and also showcasing the incredible excitement that Penrith bring to the table – more so than one of the biggest football clubs in the world.

Tickets remain available to order for the World Club Challenge with information available here.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-wa ... nge-87184/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:18 pm Wigan have now confirmed that ticket sales have surpassed 20,000 which is an incredible figure, particularly given the game is over six weeks away.

The game is stated for the 24th February at the DW Stadium and is looking like it will be a sell out with fans urged to purchase their tickets now or potentially miss out given such huge sales.

A crowd of 24,275 watched Wigan host St Helens in the Good Friday derby this past season and it’s expected that the clash against Penrith will attain a similar, if not larger crowd.

For reference Wigan Athletic played Manchester United in the FA Cup last night with just 22,870 in attendance, highlighting what a rugby league heartland Wigan is and also showcasing the incredible excitement that Penrith bring to the table – more so than one of the biggest football clubs in the world.

Tickets remain available to order for the World Club Challenge with information available here.

Sorry Latics fans, but I love the "just 22,870" dig. :lol:

I'm not anti-Latics, just not interested in soccer.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:11 pm
josie andrews wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:18 pm Wigan have now confirmed that ticket sales have surpassed 20,000 which is an incredible figure, particularly given the game is over six weeks away.

Sorry Latics fans, but I love the "just 22,870" dig. :lol:

I'm not anti-Latics, just not interested in soccer.
i think there are some issues with seating / seats not being replaced due to some football away fans, so restricted North stand capacity

Hopefully they'll all be sorted well in advance of the WC challenge game
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

World Club Challenge: Wigan Warriors v Penrith Panthers to be highest attended in England since 2011

Wigan Warriors have announced that ticket sales have surpassed 22,000 for next month’s tie.

Wigan’s home clash with NRL champions Penrith Panthers will be the highest attended World Club Challenge on English soil since 2011.

The club’s last involvement in club rugby league’s biggest fixture saw a crowd of 21,331 in 2019 against Sydney Roosters as the NRL outfit claimed a record fifth title with a 20-8 result at the DW Stadium.

21,011 saw the Warriors crowned world champions in 2017 with a 22-6 victory over Cronulla Sharks.

2011 saw 24,268 in Wigan as St George Illawarra Dragons won their first World Club Challenge tie - their only to date.

Games in between in England have seen crowds of 16,108 (St Helens versus Sydney Roosters, 2020), 19,778 (Leeds Rhinos versus North Queensland Cowboys, 2016), 17,980 (St Helens versus South Sydney Rabbitohs, 2015), 20,400 (Leeds Rhinos versus Melbourne Storm, 2013) and 21,062 (Leeds Rhinos versus Manly Sea Eagles, 2012).

Prior to 2011, the Rhinos enjoyed success at Elland Road, with three out of four fixtures attracting crowds of more than 30,000.

The side recorded the highest World Club Challenge attendance in the northern hemisphere with 37,028 against Canterbury Bulldogs in 2005 at the home of Leeds United.

Wigan’s highest attendance was back in 1987 as they claimed an 8-2 victory over Manly Sea Eagles with an official crowd of 36,895 at Central Park.

The cherry and white outfit were also involved in the highest attended World Club Challenge across the whole competition back in 1994. 54,220 witnessed the side impressively defeat Brisbane Broncos 20-14 in 1994 at the ANZ Stadium.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... 11-4477235
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Hopefully the Club should be pulling in more than a good number of £s from the BBC.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

What is the capacity?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:02 am What is the capacity?
Was over 24k I think against Saints and that would have been unreserved seating if I remember ?