Game Vs Midlands Hurricanes

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Game Vs Midlands Hurricanes

Post by josie andrews »

Report now on official site 😊 Don’t know what takes so long 🤔

Warriors beat Hurricanes in friendly

Match Report as Wigan Warriors earned a first pre-season victory with a hard-fought win over Midlands Hurricanes.

Ryan Brown and Taylor Kerr each scored twice as the Warriors came from behind to win.

FT | Midlands Hurricanes 20-24 Wigan Warriors.

A youthful Wigan Warriors side earned a first pre-season victory with a hard-fought 24-20 win over Midlands Hurricanes at the Alexander Stadium.

The League One side crossed for the opening tries of the match before back-to-back scores from Ryan Brown and Taylor Kerr put the Warriors ahead at the break.

Brown and Kerr each scored in the second half either side of tries from the Hurricanes as the Warriors battled to a well-deserved first win of pre-season.

The Warriors, who fielded a team mixed with Academy and Reserves players, fell behind after eight minutes when the Hurricanes worked play wide to Jason Bass on the wing who touched down in the corner. The conversion attempt fell short from Brad Billsborough.

The hosts almost extended their advantage three minutes later when Max Kirkbright went over in the opposite corner, however, referee Kevin Moore disallowed the score due to an obstruction in the build up.

An end-to-end opening 15 minutes saw Wigan denied a response after Tom Forber was initially held up before the Hurricanes stood firm to keep Finley Beardsworth out on the final tackle following a dangerous kick in behind from Jack Farrimond.

Despite sustained pressure from the Warriors, Midlands extended their lead on 32 minutes when Daniel Barcoe dummied his way through the middle before offloading to Jon-Luke Kirby who powered over from 5m out. Billsborough added the extras to put the Hurricanes 10-0 ahead.

The Warriors scored twice in quick succession to lead 12-10 at the break. First Brown crashed over off the back of a powerful carry from Harvey Makin, before Tom Ratchford’s burst from the play the ball allowed Kerr to step aside the Hurricanes defence to score beneath the sticks.

The Hurricanes regained the lead less than two minutes into the second half when Matty Welham accelerated clear before passing outside to Bass who grounded his second of the match. The points difference remained two after the touchline conversion attempt was missed.

Midlands defended strongly to deny Tiaki Chan a try on his first Wigan outing, however, the Birmingham-based side were unable to prevent Brown from powering over for a second time with 53 minutes on the clock. Farrimond continued his perfect record from the tee to kick Wigan 18-14 ahead.

A forward pass denied Bass a hat-trick on the hour, before the Warriors extended their advantage further when Ratchford’s short pass allowed Kerr to crash through the tackle to ground under pressure. Farrimond kicked Wigan 24-14 ahead with 10 minutes remaining

The League One side finished with confidence as Sam Bowring burst through the middle to score with the last attack of the game. Dave Hewitt added the extras to bring the match to a close, as the Warriors held on to win 24-20.

Midlands Hurricanes: Todd Horner, Max Kirkbright, Matty Welham, Ross Oakes, Jason Bass, Dave Hewitt, Jon-Luke Kirby, Daniel Barcoe, Tom Wilkinson, Liam Welham, Brad Clavering, Brad Billsborough, Kieran Moran.

Interchanges: Sam Bowring, Aaron Willis, Elliot Windley, Chris Cullimore, Owen Maull, Marcus, Inoke Nakoronivalu, Abdullah Balogum, Oliver Simpson, Peceli Suguvanua.

Tries: Bass (8′, 42′), Kirby (32′), Bowring (79′).

Goals: Billsborough (1/3), Hewitt (1/1).

Wigan Warriors: Noah Hodkinson, Jacob Douglas, Nathan Lowe, George O’Loughlin, Maddox Jeffery, Charlie Yeomans, Jack Farrimond, Harvey Makin, Tom Forber, Kian McDermott, Finley Beardsworth, Lukas Mason, Tiaki Chan.

Interchanges: Tom Ratchford, Taylor Kerr, Ryan Brown, Josh Cartwright, Troy Richmond, Finlay Irwin, Harry Higham, Reagan Sumner.

Tries: Brown (36′, 53′), Kerr (39′, 70′).

Goals: Farrimond (4/4).

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/01/ ... -friendly/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:56 pm
endoman wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:57 pm Thought I saw Joel in the warm up, didn't know he was back at Wigan.
He’s an assistant academy coach 😊
How come he's been allowed back to the club after his disgusting behaviour :evil:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Tiaki Chan assesses first Wigan Warriors hit-out as new recruit highlights his main focus

New recruit Tiaki Chan made his first Wigan Warriors appearance in the 24-20 friendly win over League 1 outfit Midlands Hurricanes at Alexander Stadium, stating that his main focus is to learn with every game.

At 23, Chan was the oldest player for the Warriors with a squad that included a mixture of the club’s reserves and academy.

With first-team shirt numbers for 2024, Jacob Douglas, Jack Farrimond, Tom Forber and Harvey Makin also featured - with 20-year-old forward Makin heading to Barrow on a season-long loan upon the start of the Championship campaign.

Chan was named at loose forward against Mark Dunning’s side just 48 hours after returning from the 10-day overseas training camp in Portugal.

Forward duo Ryan Brown and Taylor Kerr both bagged braces in the victory, with Farrimond’s conversions the difference between the two sides with 100% from the boot.

“It was good to blow the cobwebs away and all that,” Chan said.

“It was challenging for me, I think I’m still trying to learn things, but obviously everyone is. For a first hit-out, I’m not the happiest after it but that’s what friendlies are for.

“My focus and my goal is to go game-by-game and to make sure I’m learning along the way. My main focus is definitely to learn.

“All respect to Midlands Hurricanes, they were really good. They gave everything as well and they were very physical.”

Having played with the club’s rising stars, Chan admits there’s no room for error in the first-team with an already-stacked forward pack alongside ‘hungry’ youngsters rising through the ranks.

“What I’ve learned is that the young lads go hard and they’re all hungry,” Chan continued.

“Everyone is, from the first-team to every group below. We’ll [the first team] be kept on our toes, having some of the young lads there like Taylor Kerr and Harvey Makin, they gave it their all against Midlands Hurricanes.

“When I see them carry it hard, it makes me want to do it. If I see them taking two carries, I want to take three. It’s competitive and at the same time they’re helping me be better.

“Everyone across the board has got to be on their game. Anyone can be given an opportunity at any time and that’s how you’ve got to look at it.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... us-4486600
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

medlocke wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:06 pm
endoman wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:57 pm Thought I saw Joel in the warm up, didn't know he was back at Wigan.
How come he's been allowed back to the club after his disgusting behaviour :evil:
Good question Meds.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Thought Sam Eseh was down to play?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Fujiman wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:47 pm

Good question Meds.
He’s been punished for that.

Have you never done something wrong or what you’ve been ashamed of when you’ve been drunk?
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:58 am
Good question Meds.

Have you never done something wrong or what you’ve been ashamed of when you’ve been drunk?
He's a 1 xcell braained old boy Meds. He is the joker in the pack That trumps everything else. Perhaps they couldn't recruit any one better
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Ps the double "a" in "braained " is meant to e mulate :lol: the sound a sheep makes
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

archiekeith wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:48 am
Good question Meds.

He's a 1 xcell braained old boy Meds. He is the joker in the pack That trumps everything else. Perhaps they couldn't recruit any one better
It's a difficult one. Whilst I agree everyone can make mistakes and the vast majority deserve a second chance, some of the comments during the "incident" suggested that he had no fondness at all for Wigan and had burned his bridges almost as much as Shaun Edwards.

That said, as far as I know, nobody was hurt and at the end of the day it was just words. Probably just about right to give him another chance imo.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Good question Meds.

The club talk about building a community and culture. Joel brought the clubs name into disrepute as well as acting in a aggressive manner toward bar staff (you can add female to that depending on if you are all for equality or not)

Generally if you are sacked from your Job for behaviour like that you don't come back.

If Joel is employed at wigan it undermines this building a culture line we keep seeing.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.