Game Vs Midlands Hurricanes

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Game Vs Midlands Hurricanes

Post by Caboosegg »

TravellingWarrior wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:19 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:42 pm
jobo wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:35 pm

I for one would be happy to see him coaching at Wigan. He's an intelligent bloke with a massive understanding of RL.

In general, he is an all round good guy who just so happened to have a fall from grace videoed. He shouldn't be condemned for life because of that imo.
How's it condemned for life he can go work at another club. If you got sacked from your Job for similar reason you would not get the same chance with another company.

It undermines wigan claiming the club is about integrity. Drinking shows who. Someone really is

Let's apply the same logic.

Hardaker should be allowed back to Leeds its was only a bit racism can't hold that against him forever.

Or back to cats it's only drugs. Everyone does those apperently.

I'm same opinion that Burgess should be nowhere near superleague because of his history.

We promote a family sport and talk about community, a culture well this is a slap on the face made possible by apologists because he's a sportsman and not some office worker or ground worker.
I would like to argue that surely this could also be a benefit to our Academy lads, who have someone that can advise against for want of a better term "being a D******D" in a public place with alcohol having done it and the consequences that then followed from said incident. (inc being reminded of said incident for life, (as we can see from the above comments).

Following that same logic would we all have kicked off for having Shaun Wane as head coach, who in his own words:
It was a very, very unhappy childhood,’ admits the England rugby league coach, who grew up on the Worsley Hall council estate in Wigan. ‘My dad was a brutal man and I was a shocking kid. I was breaking into places, pinching cars, going out all night fighting with men.
Taken from: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... glory.html

if like Shaun Wane, Joel has changed, learnt from his past, and we can use it to educate our young players then surely that's a benefit in the long run?
There is a difference between what happened before your employment and acting an certain way when in employment.

People seem to be making excuses, but for me they are professional sportsmen, it is there employment. If any individual in a professional role acted like that they would lose their job and wouldn't be able to come back to the same company.

Joel was sacked for his actions while representing the club. While I have no ill will and he may have changed he had his chance with Wigan and blew it bringing him back just shows the club doesn't care about integrity at all.

Part of the reason I'm so against this is because that video was despicable
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Of course your correct. Forget the apologists They are morally and logically wrong
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:42 pm
There is a difference between what happened before your employment and acting an certain way when in employment.

People seem to be making excuses, but for me they are professional sportsmen, it is there employment. If any individual in a professional role acted like that they would lose their job and wouldn't be able to come back to the same company.

Joel was sacked for his actions while representing the club. While I have no ill will and he may have changed he had his chance with Wigan and blew it bringing him back just shows the club doesn't care about integrity at all.

Sorry to correct you there, but he wasn’t representing the club at all! He had been at a private christening beforehand.

And if you’re telling me that wasn’t a set up! Bloody hell, who would think of videoing an argument with someone in the public eye if you weren’t after something.

Anyway this topic has gone way off topic. Please keep to commenting on the pre season friendly.

Thank you 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Highlights of this game are now on Wigan TV 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:36 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:42 pm

Sorry to correct you there, but he wasn’t representing the club at all! He had been at a private christening beforehand.

And if you’re telling me that wasn’t a set up! Bloody hell, who would think of videoing an argument with someone in the public eye if you weren’t after something.

Anyway this topic has gone way off topic. Please keep to commenting on the pre season friendly.

Thank you 😊
Josie, I admire you're close to players both ex and current but you cannot defend his actions. He was a player of the club therefore representing the club as everyone knew who he was and who he played for. Like it or not, he was representing the club and he brought shame and embarrassment on the club.

As for calling it a set up, even if it was, it doesn't excuse anything that he did. He was vile, rude and absolutely abhorrent to the people in the videos. Would you be as forgiving if he was speaking to your daughters like that?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sadly I’ve never been able to have daughters or sons for that matter.

Of course I understand it being wrong about being spoken to like that, bloody hell I’ve had plenty grief from punters & players in my time working behind rugby bars, but I gave back as good as I got without even thinking of, if mobiles were available then, videoing the confrontation, then posting it on the dreaded social media! So & still in my opinion it was set up.
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Sorry to say but I too fully agree with caboosegg.

He didn't have his contract terminated due to some small indiscretion. This embarrassed the club, embarrassed the fans and brought shame to the town re his behaviour and comments, irrespective of him being caught on film or not

Perhaps we should employ Joe Westerman when he retires to offer marriage guidance counselling to the fans?

Whoever made this decision has really sunk low with this
Back by demand.