Wardle: Excited to be back

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wardle: Excited to be back

Post by josie andrews »

Jake Wardle has shared his excitement ahead of Friday night’s pre-season friendly against Wakefield Trinity.

Wardle: “I’m excited to be back playing after what has been a long and tough pre-season.”

Supporters can purchase tickets on gameday from Robin Park Arena Club Store (from 10am until 3pm) or on the gates at Belle Vue.

Jake Wardle has expressed his excitement ahead of Friday night’s pre-season friendly against dual-reg partners Wakefield Trinity.

The Warriors have named a mixed 22-player squad for tomorrow’s friendly at Belle Vue, which consists of First Team and Reserves players.

Wigan will be aiming to build on last weekend’s victory over Midlands Hurricanes when they travel to West Yorkshire, and speaking ahead of the friendly against Trinity Wardle said: “I’m excited to be back playing. It’s been a quick pre-season for us but one that has been hard and tough as it should. I’m looking forward to getting out there with a mix of players and I know everyone else is really keen as well.”

The Warriors have included six new signings in the squad, and speaking on the additions, Wardle said: “They’ve all been great since they joined up with the squad and it hasn’t really felt like they’re new with the way they have bought into what we have here at Wigan. I’m excited to play alongside them and to see what they can do.”

Wardle received the Harry Sunderland trophy for his Man of the Match performance in the Super League Grand Final in October, before he underwent a clean-up of his knee during the off-season.

Speaking on his return to fitness, the centre said: “For my self esteem it’s been a slightly different pre-season to the rest of the squad as I’ve just been trying to manage coming back from the injury.

“I re-joined the squad after Christmas and was with the lads in Portugal where we were able to get a lot of combinations right in decent weather. I’m just looking forward to being back out on the field.”

The Warriors head to West Yorkshire to face a strong Wakefield Trinity side which includes former Warrior Iain Thornley, as well as new signings Jermaine McGillvary and Lachlan Walmsley.

On the opposition, Wardle said: “Wakefield have made a lot of signings who I expect will help them compete for that top spot in the Championship. It’s going to be a tough game but all the boys are ready for the challenge we will face.”

He added: “There’s still work to be done ahead of the season but we are coming towards the end of pre-season now and these matches provide everyone with the chance to get good minutes under their belts. I haven’t had the most time on the field during pre-season so I’ll be aiming to re-build the match fitness whilst hoping to keep the form going.”

Tickets for the match will be available to purchase from Robin Park Arena Club Store on Friday 26 January from 10am until 3pm. Alternatively, supporters will be able to pay on the gate at no extra charge with adults priced at £5 and juniors £1.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/01/ ... o-be-back/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan