Garry Schofield Column; my prediction for Wigan Warriors Super League 2024

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Garry Schofield Column; my prediction for Wigan Warriors Super League 2024

Post by josie andrews »

I’VE SAVED the best until last, because that’s what this Wigan side are.

As I’ve said often, as a Leeds fan, I’ve no great love of the Cherry and Whites, and I don’t like everything they did as a club back in the nineties, because I don’t think it did Rugby League as a whole any favours.

But I still respect the overall history and heritage of Wigan, and I’m a massive admirer of Matt Peet, and also Kris Radlinski, who makes a big contribution in the background.

Wigan have a new owner after Mike Danson replaced Ian Lenagan, who should be congratulated on the appointment two years ago of Peet, which was considered a bit of a risk at the time but has been proven to be a very astute decision.

Like his predecessor Adrian Lam has done at Leigh, Matt has created an excellent culture at Wigan, and it seems very clear that the players like him and want to play for him.

And what a group of players he has, with the bulk of the 2023 squad still around and supplemented by the likes of Kruise Leeming, Luke Thompson and Sam Walters, a very solid forward I’m disappointed is no longer at Leeds.

As I’ve said, St Helens will be desperate to re-assert themselves, but Wigan are going to take some stopping, and I see them as dominant not just this year, but for a few more after.

Wigan Warriors – 1st

https://www.totalrl.com/the-garry-schof ... ague-2024/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaiJones

Re: Garry Schofield Column; my prediction for Wigan Warriors Super League 2024

Post by DaiJones »

Wow. Even Garry thinks we’re the best team.
When he says he didn’t like everything we did in the 90s, I assume he means stopping him winning any trophies whatsoever
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I think he's so arrogant he thinks we cheated as that's the only way we could have beat any team with him in it. I think Powel carries same chip on his shoulder. I'm sure Leeds either went fully pro around same time as we did, either just before or just after us. Widnes and Saints season or so later. The coaches we brought in probably made a massive difference to our dominant era and for me only thing we was guilty of was winning. Since all clubs went pro in SL era four teams have won the equivalent of the league, in the same period before it time wise 12 teams won it. That sort of negates the argument of the supposed level playing field. I'm pretty sure the original license was brought in to improve clubs standards on and off the field and protect against teams spending beyond their means?
Leeds also signed many big names that didn't really hit the heights. Plenty from RU couple of all blacks and so on I think Gary just played for the wrong team at the wrong time.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

DaiJones wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:55 am Wow. Even Garry thinks we’re the best team.
When he says he didn’t like everything we did in the 90s, I assume he means stopping him winning any trophies whatsoever
Not signing him :lol:
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

medlocke wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:12 pm
DaiJones wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:55 am Wow. Even Garry thinks we’re the best team.
Exactly this. He thought he was the best GB player of the era..........and Wigan didn't sign him. He has been bitter since.

He was good (not the best, but good), but would have been disruptive in the dressing room.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:22 pm
medlocke wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:12 pm
Exactly this. He thought he was the best GB player of the era..........and Wigan didn't sign him. He has been bitter since.

He was good (not the best, but good), but would have been disruptive in the dressing room.
Wasn't there some sort of crack with Maurice Lyndsey ?
endoman

Post by endoman »

Listen to Andy Greg on the Wigan Way podcast about Schofield.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

There's a danger in repeating what I have been told about Schoey. Let's just say I wouldn't take a blind bit of notice of a word he utters. And how he spends the money he's paid for writing this stuff is his own business.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Yet he left his beloved hull and joined leeds who were easily outspending wigan but still getting battered off us
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

endoman wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:43 pm Listen to Andy Greg on the Wigan Way podcast about Schofield.
Go on spill the beans please
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE