Bevan French excited to link up with 'nightmare' back-rower as he discusses new right-edge combinations

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Bevan French excited to link up with 'nightmare' back-rower as he discusses new right-edge combinations

Post by josie andrews »

Warriors half-back Bevan French says he has been enjoying working on new combinations ahead of the 2024 Super League campaign.

The 28-year-old Australian is undergoing his first pre-season as a half-back, having made the successful positional switch midway through last campaign, helping guide Wigan to Grand Final glory.

However, 2024 brings big changes to the team’s right-edge following the departures of Toby King and Kai Pearce-Paul, with new recruits Adam Keighran and Sam Walters looking likely to replace the pair.

The new duo have received shirt numbers three and 22 respectively for their debut campaigns in Cherry and White, with the trio working closely during pre-season.

"It’s been good, it’s my first time in a pre-season working in the halves,” French said.

“But not much has changed really from the back end of last season.

“Harry (Smith) will sort of steer the ship and I’ll float in and out when I need to and things like that.

"I guess the main thing for me is trying to work with Sam Walters and Adam Keighran and working out combinations on the right-edge.

“That has been a part of some of the work this pre-season, with the ball in hand and defensive patterns, things like that.

“We’ve been trying to work on those new combinations on the edge, and me and Harry will kick off where we left off.”

French says having 23-year-old, 6’6” Walters by his side will add extra danger to the right if selected, believing he’ll be a ‘nightmare’ to opponents having enjoyed his best season to date last year with six tries in 17 appearances for Leeds Rhinos.

"It makes me feel a lot safer having a big body next to me, that’s for sure,” French laughed.

“It takes a bit of pressure off me in defence.

“Him being a big body and running hard, it’ll make some space out on the edge, which hopefully I can use.

“He’s got a lot to learn but his attitude and taking things on board has been great.

“If selected, he’ll be a nightmare. We’ve seen glimpses of him early on in his career, he’s such a big body and he’s hard to handle.

“It’s good to have him.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ns-4501572
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Ipinwigan

Re: Bevan French excited to link up with 'nightmare' back-rower as he discusses new right-edge combinations

Post by Ipinwigan »

Out of all the new signings, I think Sam Walters could be the best of them all, really looking forward to seeing him this season.
the pieman

Re: Bevan French excited to link up with 'nightmare' back-rower as he discusses new right-edge combinations

Post by the pieman »

Ipinwigan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:24 am Out of all the new signings, I think Sam Walters could be the best of them all, really looking forward to seeing him this season.
Yep, made a good start last week v Wakey
also looks like he can handle the ball too with the way he passed it out to Douglas (happy be corrected), missing out the centre and over the top
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Ipinwigan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:24 am Out of all the new signings, I think Sam Walters could be the best of them all, really looking forward to seeing him this season.
For an owd mon I'm quite excited about Sam Walters. Something of an old style rampaging ball-handling forward about him, Bill Ashurst, maybe? (In some ways - not character!)

Despite Big Willie being given the 11 shirt, if Sam continues to show form, and our right-edge can defend, then I see Sam as our regular second rower.

My prediction for WCC, assuming all fit but for Harvard, would be:

1-7 as per squad numbers.

Ellis, O'Neill, Byrne.
Walters, Faz.
Thompson.

Bench: Cooper, Mago, Leeming, Dupree.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I agree Walters for me is a bit like a Gareth Hock but with much better application one of those players who no-one really ones to tackle
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure