Wigan squad for Hull FC (Pre-Season)

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fan4Fifty

Re: Wigan squad for Hull FC (Pre-Season)

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Harry Smith seemed full of confidence and class and, as well as his kicking game, produced some excellent passes at the defensive line to put players into gaps once the game opened up.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Looks like Walters is out for a while with a collarbone injury 🥺
jobo

Post by jobo »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:11 pm Harry Smith seemed full of confidence and class and, as well as his kicking game, produced some excellent passes at the defensive line to put players into gaps once the game opened up.
Harry Smith had a fabulous game. Organiser extraordinaire.

Really looking forward to this season, especially with the set of forwards we've got and pace amongst the backs.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Lot of positives to take from that game. Thought most players went well, Mago has easily been the best forward pre season, he’s unstoppable and looks to be in great shape. Only negatives are the Walter’s injury because he’s looked class, that and French looking like he’s been rough sleeping outside a pie shop. Looked well off the pace and not in a very good condition. Hopefully he can sort that out because we need him firing for the start of the season.
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:11 pm Harry Smith seemed full of confidence and class and, as well as his kicking game, produced some excellent passes at the defensive line to put players into gaps once the game opened up.
He’s our best player.

Kicking game spot on, passing game is getting better and better, plays with great tempo and defensively pretty solid for a young half.

Keep it up Harry.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Looks like Walters is going to be out a while could be two three month. It's one area I thought we was a player light before the season especially going in with Jnr missing first couple of months.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet confirms ‘substantial’ injury blow following dominant pre-season victory

Wigan Warriors head coach Matt Peet has confirmed a significant injury blow to back-rower Sam Walters following the 40-0 pre-season win over Hull FC.

In the only negative of the victory, Walters looks set to miss the start of the Super League season due to a late injury sustained in the clash.

The 23-year-old featured from the interchange bench, replacing Willie Isa on the right in the second half but later received treatment in the closing stages of the fixture on a shoulder injury.

Peet admitted the new recruit was likely to be included in his strongest 17 ahead of the season opener against Castleford Tigers, but now looks set to be sidelined after being forced from the action.

Confirming the blow, Peet said: “To be honest, I didn’t have a lot of big decisions to make on our strongest 17.

“One lad right in the mix was Sam Walters, who is looking like he’s going to miss the start of the year now.
“You don’t want that, I wish he was available, but he’s not in competition now.

"I feel like it’s pretty clear who our best 17, 18 players are going to be.”

Explaining the injury, the 39-year-old head coach continued: “He has hurt his collarbone, towards the end of the game.

“He came off and it’s looking like there’s a substantial injury to his collarbone.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ry-4504656
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Is it clear who are props will be? If Thompson plays 13, and Walters is a second row, then we have Byrne, Cooper, Chan, Dupree, Ellis, Eseh, Havard, Hill and Mago who are notionally props… great problem to have of course.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

The reserves game this weekend is now even more important if we want to give some a further run out or take a look at other options. Any chance it could be on Wigan TV (bearing in mind its away so up to the Giants I suppose?)
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Playing Chan at second row in the reserves will be a must you’d imagine. I wouldn’t be against them picking out the next person in line who they feel could go in to second row if needed and give them time there as well. I look at our props and how they move, how mobile they are etc and it would probably be Dupree I’d have most confidence in.