IMG Catchment Criteria

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

IMG Catchment Criteria

Post by Mike »

I was reading this article https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/68082370, and was surprised that London gets the lowest marks possible for catchment area. Does anyone know how that's possible?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Re: IMG Catchment Criteria

Post by the pieman »

i think its because London is a monstrosity of boroughs, so technically it was only 1 of them that they were classing as the catchment area for the Bronco's . I suppose its like saying Wigan can only have Wigan town centre, but cant have Ince and Hindley etc (but on a smaller scale)

i agree, however, its a joke, they are the only team in SL, and thus IMO the catchment is all of Greater London and they should be getting top marks for that. Whether they can tap into that catchment area is a completely different challenge / issue
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Surely you draw a line to the nearest club in all directions and you get 50% of that distance or a reasonable travel time, whichever is shorter. Sounds crazy if they do it by government regions or something.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Mike wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:04 pm Surely you draw a line to the nearest club in all directions and you get 50% of that distance or a reasonable travel time, whichever is shorter. Sounds crazy if they do it by government regions or something.
we are talking RL here though arent we :)

It almost like saying all Wiganers are Wigan fans, and so on and so forth

i get what they are implicating by looking at a catchment area i.e. Cas 20k v Bradford 500k (or whatever the correct figures are), so Bradford looks like a promising team to have in SL, but by not applying the same logic to London, they are automatically skewing / invalidating the data or logic they have applied. By default, London should have the largest catchment area given they are the only SL team in London (South of England)
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

12.5% - the lowest figure - is available to clubs for their community outreach and engagement

How leigh are getting anything in this I don't know. I live in atherton and despite my sons.school being on the edge of leigh (howe bridge) it's wigan warriors community foundation that come do rugby and sports activities.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:04 pm Surely you draw a line to the nearest club in all directions and you get 50% of that distance or a reasonable travel time, whichever is shorter. Sounds crazy if they do it by government regions or something.
Having lived in London in the past (for 12 years) it wouldn't be fair to go to far the other way and say their catchment area is all of Greater London as people just do not travel regularly for events from say south of the river to the north. The only time I watched London Broncos or maybe it was when they were called London Crusaders was when Wigan played them once. I lived at the opposite side of London and even with good public transport it was a trek and it just won't appeal to most to start supporting as club in London if it is not nearby.

Isn't done on the borough anyway? So Wigan and Leigh suffer from being in the same one?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:50 pm
Having lived in London in the past (for 12 years) it wouldn't be fair to go to far the other way and say their catchment area is all of Greater London as people just do not travel regularly for events from say south of the river to the north. The only time I watched London Broncos or maybe it was when they were called London Crusaders was when Wigan played them once. I lived at the opposite side of London and even with good public transport it was a trek and it just won't appeal to most to start supporting as club in London if it is not nearby.

Isn't done on the borough anyway? So Wigan and Leigh suffer from being in the same one?
Its true, closest other club or reasonable travel time, whichever is shorter I'd use.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐