Warrington Wolves hit with major blows ahead of new season

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Warrington Wolves hit with major blows ahead of new season

Post by josie andrews »

Warrington Wolves came up short in their final pre-season friendly against Leigh Leopards as they lost 28-12 in Joe Philbin’s testimonial.

The result left fans concerned and Sam Burgess disappointed. But there are wider concerns for the Wolves moving into the new Super League season.

After injury woes emerged last week, more have emerged after last night. After the game, Burgess explained some of the substitutions he made was the plan as he spoke to Leigh’s official website:

Yeah, we had two 13s out just first half, second half sort of thing.”

Then he identified a number of injury concerns:

“Lachlan is alright, he just had a knock on his elbow, I sent his hand and now he’s okay, he’s good to go back on. Probably Luke Thomas, looks like he’s got a knee injury, not sure quite what that is yet but hopefully it’s not too bad.”

A surprise absentee was Matty Ashton and on him, Burgess said: “Yeah, he just had a niggle in his knees. I mean, I didn’t want to risk anything with a round of wood just around the corner. Yeah, he’d have played if it’s round one.”

Sam Burgess wants Warrington Wolves to learn lesson

Burgess also said that he wanted his side to learn lessons from the defeat. A concerned Burgess said:

“I don’t know, we had some good moments but we just weren’t willing to get in the grind as much. Leigh were brilliant, I thought they had middle but I like I say they were really strong, dominated the game really. We’ll take a great lesson out of it, we’ll take something from it.”

The Wolves start the season away at Catalans Dragons in a big match between two teams being tipped for success in 2024.

Catalans won their latest friendly against an All Stars team from the French Elite One Championship putting them away 88-6 in an incredible scoreline that seems unbelievable to see in pre-season.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/warringt ... son-87837/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Warrington Wolves hit with major blows ahead of new season

Post by josie andrews »

Can someone explain to me what Sam Burgess means with the following statements please because I don’t understand what he is saying!
Lachlan is alright, he just had a knock on his elbow, I sent his hand and now he’s okay,
A surprise absentee was Matty Ashton and on him, Burgess said: “Yeah, he just had a niggle in his knees. I mean, I didn’t want to risk anything with a round of wood just around the corner.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I think the article is horrendously written. No idea what's going on
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:26 am I think the article is horrendously written. No idea what's going on
I was beginning to think it was me! 😳
TravellingWarrior

Post by TravellingWarrior »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:29 pm Can someone explain to me what Sam Burgess means with the following statements please because I don’t understand what he is saying!
Lachlan is alright, he just had a knock on his elbow, I sent his hand and now he’s okay,
A surprise absentee was Matty Ashton and on him, Burgess said: “Yeah, he just had a niggle in his knees. I mean, I didn’t want to risk anything with a round of wood just around the corner.
I'm guessing they have auto scribed from the Leigh website. I had a listen and will translate.

1) We had two 13's play a half each

2) Lachlan took a knock to his elbow, and lost sense in his hand but now is ok

3) I didn't want to risk Matty with round one around the corner.
The world is a book and those who don't travel read only one page.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

TravellingWarrior wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:19 am
josie andrews wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:29 pm Can someone explain to me what Sam Burgess means with the following statements please because I don’t understand what he is saying!
I'm guessing they have auto scribed from the Leigh website. I had a listen and will translate.

1) We had two 13's play a half each

2) Lachlan took a knock to his elbow, and lost sense in his hand but now is ok

3) I didn't want to risk Matty with round one around the corner.
Thank you for that 😊
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I don’t know, we had some good moments but we just weren’t willing to get in the grind as much.
this sums Warrington up for the last 10 years or so

they've always been great at scoring big and sometimes play some excellent rugby but as soon as they hit a challenge they tend to fall out the game

thats my worry with laughing at them as once they solve that they will be a very hard team to beat
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure