Wigan Warriors to feature on the BBC following new historic broadcast deal, including World Club Challenge

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors to feature on the BBC following new historic broadcast deal, including World Club Challenge

Post by josie andrews »

Super League and the BBC have agreed to a new historic broadcast deal ahead of the biggest season in the sport.

Rugby League Commercial and BBC Sport have confirmed a new three-year broadcast partnership which for the first time includes regular live coverage of the Super League and this month’s World Club Challenge, as well as the Men’s, Women’s and Wheelchair Challenge Cups.

With BBC winning the rights over Channel 4, the new coverage will kick off when champions Wigan Warriors launch their title defence at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle against Castleford Tigers on Saturday, February 17 from 5pm on BBC Two and iPlayer - the first Super League match to be shown live on the BBC.

Wigan’s World Club Challenge showdown against NRL kings Penrith Panthers will also be broadcast live the following Saturday from the DW Stadium, with a sell-out crowd already confirmed.

A total of up to 15 Super League matches will be covered in each of the next three seasons across digital and linear channels, including two matches in the play-offs live on BBC TV for the first time in September and October.

In another first, the BBC Sport website and app will carry selected highlights from the Women’s Super League, including the semi finals and Grand Final, and the Wheelchair Super League Grand Final.

RL Commercial managing director Rhodri Jones commented: “This is a landmark agreement for rugby league.

"Securing live free to air coverage on the BBC for the Super League competition as part of this reimagined partnership means there will be more visibility than ever before.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ge-4508998
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Re: Wigan Warriors to feature on the BBC following new historic broadcast deal, including World Club Challenge

Post by moto748 »

Yes, good to hear this finally confirmed.
archiekeith

Re: Wigan Warriors to feature on the BBC following new historic broadcast deal, including World Club Challenge

Post by archiekeith »

moto748 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:20 am Yes, good to hear this finally confirmed.
+1
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

5pm Saturday on BbC

That’s a cracking time to be honest. Post-football, pre-prime time.

Don’t mess this up RFL
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

This is really good news. Needs good viewing figures though
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

We know we have the product. The BBC and others like The Sportman have the talent to wax lyrical about our sport. Mark Chapman, Helen Skelton have a great opportunity to cement firstly their own careers, latterly Helen, who drives a nice Audi 4x4, but to show why RL can be as big as RU.

Better product, better sport, it’s free. Why watch endless scrimmages when you can watch French, Field, Lomax and a full Headingley on a Saturday night instead of some posh t*** who’s rugby talent is far less superior than that of an average Leigh East player

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:06 am We know we have the product. The BBC and others like The Sportman have the talent to wax lyrical about our sport. Mark Chapman, Helen Skelton have a great opportunity to cement firstly their own careers, latterly Helen, who drives a nice Audi 4x4, but to show why RL can be as big as RU.

Better product, better sport, it’s free. Why watch endless scrimmages when you can watch French, Field, Lomax and a full Headingley on a Saturday night instead of some posh t*** who’s rugby talent is far less superior than that of an average Leigh East player
Agreed. But what I want to mention is your appendage re Wigan's hall of fame. I don't recall a James Slevin I do remember Ted Slevin. He featured at Wigan in the. 50/ and60'tis. In fact it was my first Challenge Cup visit is 1951. That team could easily grace our hall of fame Ted played second row . Some of the others you mention Along with George curran Billy Blan loose forward great team winning 10/nil. Incidentally Billy Blan sold me a car when he was a car salesman years later. Happy days. Oh by the way I'd also include Bill AsHurst my favourite RL player
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

Just had an advert for the Cas game on BBC at half time during the Scotland 6 nations match. More of the same please BBC! :)
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

archiekeith wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:31 am
ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:06 am We know we have the product. The BBC and others like The Sportman have the talent to wax lyrical about our sport. Mark Chapman, Helen Skelton have a great opportunity to cement firstly their own careers, latterly Helen, who drives a nice Audi 4x4, but to show why RL can be as big as RU.

Agreed. But what I want to mention is your appendage re Wigan's hall of fame. I don't recall a James Slevin I do remember Ted Slevin. He featured at Wigan in the. 50/ and60'tis. In fact it was my first Challenge Cup visit is 1951. That team could easily grace our hall of fame Ted played second row . Some of the others you mention Along with George curran Billy Blan loose forward great team winning 10/nil. Incidentally Billy Blan sold me a car when he was a car salesman years later. Happy days. Oh by the way I'd also include Bill AsHurst my favourite RL player
Jim Slevin was a founder member of our club in 1879 and one of my heroes. He turned down an Anglo-Australian tour in 1888 so he could help Wigan win the West Lancs cup. Our towns first superstar

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame