Sam Burgess confirms his future lies in Australia

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Sam Burgess confirms his future lies in Australia

Post by josie andrews »

Sam Burgess has admitted that his future lies in Australia but is adamant he will see out his two years with Warrington Wolves first.

Of course, Burgess could coach beyond his two-year deal but when speaking at the Super League launch event today he revealed that ultimately both his life and career lie down under.

Asked if he will coach in the NRL, he responded: “Yeah, I’d imagine that’s probably where I’ll go. I’ve got two young children over there as well. It’s a hard sacrifice to come here and leave them there for long periods of time.

Life will be in Australia post-career, but you really just can’t map that out on what it looks like. So I’m here for two years at least, I’m really enjoying what we’re doing at Warrington.”

The new Warrington Wolves boss was keen to stipulate his intention to see the job through at the Halliwell Jones Stadium, but that his focus was on the present.

“Is two years long enough to do what I think I want to implement? I don’t know. But for now, we’ll just take it a day at a time and stay in the present.”

The rookie head coach was open to the idea he might not get off to the perfect start, particularly with Warrington set to travel to Perpignan and face Catalans for their opener, but in year one he’s sure of improvement.

He posited: “Is it going to be perfect? No, are we going to hit the ground running? I don’t know. I still think we’ll be growing as a team as the season unfolds. I don’t think we’ll be the finished article or anywhere near it at the start of the year. I’ll just be happy we’ve gradually improved and that’s what we’re after.”

Sam Burgess: From South Sydney to Warrington Wolves

It was a major shock when Sam Burgess was confirmed as the new head coach at Warrington Wolves. It had been heavily reported that former St Helens man Justin Holbrook would take over from Daryl Powell.

Instead, Warrington brought back another familiar face from down under and Burgess believes his experience down under will help massively and he’s even compared his old and new clubs.

Sam Burgess explained: “I think I draw a lot of experience from the good times and the harder times out there. Everything is under a microscope as well so there’s always pressure out there as well. I’m playing for such a historic, famous club as well. The pressure is sometimes tenfold.

“We’ve got a lot of similarities here at Warrington so I think it will be a little adverse to deal with that. I’m not saying I’ll get it right, there’s going to be bumps in my road, don’t get me wrong.”

He also underlined his credentials but admitted he is still learning: “When I first finished I spent straight away I was under Wayne and I was an assistant coach for nine, ten months and then took some time out and then took over Arara and then back to Souths. So three years worth of coaching experience, all different levels of responsibility.

“As a player, I always took a really keen interest in team dynamics and so I was always involved with a lot of that experience. I’ve got a few people on speed dial that I’m probably annoying at the moment.

“I’m really enjoying my own learning situation at the moment, I’m learning daily, learning from the players, from things above me, inside of me and everywhere really, so I’m enjoying it.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/sam-burg ... lia-87957/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Sam Burgess confirms his future lies in Australia

Post by josie andrews »

I’m playing for such a historic, famous club as well. The pressure is sometimes tenfold.
I hope he’s talking about Souths in that comment 😂
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I can't imagine that is music to Wire fans ears. It's not an ideal situation to have a head coach in knowing he isn't in it for the long haul
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:56 pm I can't imagine that is music to Wire fans ears. It's not an ideal situation to have a head coach in knowing he isn't in it for the long haul
That’s exactly what I thought.