Peet previews Castleford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Peet previews Castleford

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet looks ahead to Saturday’s opening Super League fixture against Castleford Tigers at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle.

Peet: “It’s a proper rugby league ground with a great atmosphere which should make a full-blooded Super League game – it will be great to watch.”

Watch the full Castleford Tigers preview with Matt Peet on Wigan TV HERE.

MATT PEET LOOKS AHEAD TO WIGAN WARRIORS’ OPENING SUPER LEAGUE FIXTURE AGAINST CASTLEFORD TIGERS.

Speaking ahead of the match, the Warriors Head Coach said: “We’re all excited. It will be a challenge as there will be a lot of optimism around the ground with it being Round 1. Castleford are going to come out firing and energised, and it’s a proper rugby league ground with a great atmosphere which should make a full-blooded Super League game – it will be great to watch.”

Peet has named three new signings in his 21-player squad, which also includes Mike Cooper who returned from a long-term knee injury in last weekend’s Reserves win over Huddersfield Giants at Wigan Rugby Union Club.

Speaking on the prop forward, Peet said: “Coops [Mike Cooper] will play off the bench. I was there at the Reserves game and he was excellent. It wasn’t the ideal game for some of our senior lads – Abbas Miski and Liam Marshall – to come back to but I was impressed with the attitude they showed.”

Despite the fixture coming a week before the Betfred World Club Challenge clash against Penrith Panthers at the DW Stadium, Peet outlined the importance of the game against the Tigers: “We’ve spoken more about not getting Round 1 right last year than looking ahead to Penrith. We’ve got an exciting fixture and event on the horizon but it would be really poor of us to overlook this one – we have to nail this performance.”

Peet added: “We just want to progress and get the job done this weekend with a performance that we can build on.”

History will be made on Saturday evening as the Warriors and Castleford play out the first Super League fixture live on the BBC. Speaking on the new three-year broadcasting deal, Peet said: “As players and coaches we have a responsibility every time we take to the field to present the game, and on Saturday will be looking to do our bit and add to what will already be a great occasion.

“We will be looking to show the best of us whilst Castleford will be looking to show the best of them. It’s fantastic how much positivity is around the game at the moment – not just the BBC deal but the international ones as well.”

When asked about defending the Super League title, Peet said: “When you are at Wigan there is always the case of having a target on your back. There is certainly an energy and appetite, but our mantra here is to get better and improve. Our focus is more on building strong habits and connections on a daily basis.”

Liam Byrne has also spoken ahead of the trip to West Yorkshire, which is available to read HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/02/ ... tleford-5/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Peet previews Castleford

Post by josie andrews »

Byrne: All heavily focused

Liam Byrne has expressed the importance of Wigan Warriors’ opening Super League fixture against Castleford Tigers at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle.

Byrne: “The first game of the season is always a big one and all the lads have been heavily focused on getting the performance right.”

Castleford Tigers v Wigan Warriors, Saturday 17 February, 5:30pm K.O.

LIAM BYRNE HAS EXPRESSED THE IMPORTANCE OF SATURDAY’S OPENING SUPER LEAGUE FIXTURE AGAINST CASTLEFORD TIGERS.

The Warriors start their season at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle, and speaking ahead of the clash in West Yorkshire, Byrne shared his excitement to be back in action.

He said: “It’s been a good pre-season in which all the lads have worked really hard. We are at the stage now where we are looking forward to getting back to action and putting on a show together on Saturday.”

Despite missing the final four matches of the 2023 season with a hamstring injury, Byrne has completed a full pre-season which has set the forward in good stead for the upcoming campaign.

He said: “I spent the first three or four weeks of pre-season recovering from the injury but I’ve been back in full training for a while having had a good load put into me. It’s been good getting volume in through the few friendlies that we’ve had which has set me up ready to get into it this weekend.”

Byrne has been included in the 21-player squad for Saturday’s opening Super League fixture at Castleford Tigers.

Speaking on the Warriors’ forward pack, Byrne said: “Us middles have built a good relationship in pre-season both on and off the pitch. He’s a great lad and all the pack are looking forward to building a connection on the pitch this season.”

Looking ahead to the clash at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle, Byrne said: “We expect Cas to come out firing in the same way that all teams will be looking to do so in Round 1. They’ve looked good in their pre-season fixtures and we have to expect the best of them. We’ve done all our work now and I think we’ve prepared well.”

Byrne also emphasized the importance of the Super League fixture ahead of the Betfred World Club Challenge clash against Penrith Panthers at the DW Stadium.

He said: “The first game of the season is always a big one and all the lads have been heavily focused on getting the performance right. It’s important we do that to set us up for the test we will face against Penrith.”

Match tickets for Saturday’s clash against Castleford Tigers are available to purchase online HERE and from our Robin Park Arena Club Store until 4pm on Friday 16 February. Please note that tickets purchased online after 12pm on Tuesday 13 February will need to be collected from the Robin Park Arena Club Store.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/02/ ... y-focused/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Re: Peet previews Castleford

Post by josie andrews »

Keighran: Together as one

Wigan Warriors centre Adam Keighran spoke of his excitement for the new season, looking ahead to Saturday’s Round One trip to Castleford Tigers.

Keighran: “It’s a real privilege to wear the jersey.”

The Australian arrived from Catalans following the end of the 2023 season, discussing how well he has settled in so far and his pride to play for the club.

ADAM KEIGHRAN HAS SPOKEN OF HIS EXCITEMENT FOR THE NEW CAMPAIGN AHEAD OF THE WARRIORS’ TRIP TO CASTLEFORD TIGERS IN ROUND 1 OF THE SUPER LEAGUE SEASON.

“I think everyone is pumped for the new season, we’ve done the hard stuff and the fun begins now. You can feel that vibe at training when you know you get to play for points at the end of the week,” said Keighran.

“They’ll [Castleford Tigers] be at full strength, they’ll be fit and they’ll be ready to go so it’s going to be difficult and the stadium itself makes it a bit tougher with their home crowd.

Reflecting on pre-season, he said: “We played against Hull a couple of weeks back at their home ground, so we’ve got a bit of a taste of what it’s like to go away. Castleford is definitely a tough place to go but we’re up to the challenge.”

Since arriving from Catalans Dragons upon the conclusion of the 2023 season, Keighran and his family have been adapting to their new surroundings in England. The Australian joined the squad for their pre-season training camp in Portugal, which he cited as the perfect way to get to know his new teammates.

“I’ve found that I’ve settled in really quickly and really well,” Keighran said. “I was only here for seven days before we went to Portugal but there I was living with Abbas (Miski), Kaide (Ellis), Jai (Field) and Bevan (French), so straight away I built that connection with those boys in particular.

“When you spend so much time together as a team and you’re eating meals together, there’s no small groups within this group – we’re all together as one. That has made it a lot easier to build those connections with every player, not just specific ones.”

Keighran has also sparked a friendship with half-back Harry Smith, who along with the rest of the squad, has supported the centre in his move from the south of France: “I have built a good connection with Harry who I’ve spent a lot of time with him outside of footy as well already, so that’s been pretty good.

“My wife has met his partner which has obviously helped me – if you’re a player and you’re happy off the field, it makes your life a lot easier when you come into footy as well.

He added: “A lot of players and partners have reached out to myself and my family – checking in, asking to go for a coffee and just offering any help in general to help with settling in. That is something me and my partner are very grateful for.

“It’s a credit to the Club as a whole and the way they push the players to be as people. Matt [Peet] has driven that within the players and that’s one of the things that has stuck with me the most since coming here – everyone’s so tight and close.

The 26-year-old finished as the Dragons’ top scorer last season after scoring 12 tries and kicking 68 goals, and now he is hoping to bring the same form to the Wigan fold this year.

Keighran said: “I’ve had my first full season at the top grade last year, so I know what my body needs away from footy to be able to do that week in week out.

“I had a couple of rounds last year where I probably wasn’t at my best because of the recovery side of things so I want to learn from that. I want to fix that up and put my best foot forward for the team to perform each week.”

The former New Zealand Warriors and Sydney Roosters player will wear the number three shirt for the Warriors this season, which is an honour Keighran is looking forward to achieving: “I’ve gained an understanding of the privilege to wear the jersey,” he said. “To get that number in the history books and be able to claim that as your own is pretty special with the history that it has. I’m very proud to be able to do it.”

Hear more from Adam Keighran on Wigan TV HERE. https://tv.wiganwarriors.com/

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/02/ ... er-as-one/