Wigan squad for Castleford (R1)

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: Wigan squad for Castleford (R1)

Post by Wintergreen »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:20 pm Points on the board, but an expensive knight potentially losing Thompson,Leeming,Smith for next week and Field looked a bit iffy at the end.

Kicking is better than this time last year. It would have been criminal to let him leave.
Not a chance in hell they will ban Smith.

If it was a regular round, maybe but even the RFL aren't that stupid as to ruin their Golden Match.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I said Thompson would get knocked out in his 1st proper game for Wigan. I’m a physic. He’s not big enough anyway so I wouldn’t worry about him being out. He’s the least effective prop. He’s going to be another flop, mark my words.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

w.thomas wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:47 pm I said Thompson would get knocked out in his 1st proper game for Wigan. I’m a physic. He’s not big enough anyway so I wouldn’t worry about him being out. He’s the least effective prop. He’s going to be another flop, mark my words.
Well that seems a little premature.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:27 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:20 pm Points on the board, but an expensive knight potentially losing Thompson,Leeming,Smith for next week and Field looked a bit iffy at the end.

Kicking is better than this time last year. It would have been criminal to let him leave.

If it was a regular round, maybe but even the RFL aren't that stupid as to ruin their Golden Match.
It’s the RFL. They like to play the big “I am” and will ban him to show how fair minded they are and will revel in the short term publicity.

I have never forgiven them for banning Joe Lydon and Des Drummond for having a scrap at Central Park which robbed GB of two players going on tour down under. :evil:
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:27 pm Not a chance in hell they will ban Smith.

I wish I had your confidence.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

He deserves to be suspended, he was fortunate not to be sent off.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:28 pm

It’s the RFL. They like to play the big “I am” and will ban him to show how fair minded they are and will revel in the short term publicity.

I have never forgiven them for banning Joe Lydon and Des Drummond for having a scrap at Central Park which robbed GB of two players going on tour down under. :evil:
I'd say Dave's right on this one. I reckon its *more* likely he'll get a ban because of the WCC. The Aussies of course would never ban one of their players before a big match. They like to win, we like to appear "fair"
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I guess we’ll soon find out. Left to their own devices I wouldn’t trust the RFL to tie their own shoelaces. However, the game has been marketed heavily on Sky. It’s not a “regular “ game.

Wouldn’t be surprised if someone from Sky has had a word.

Sadly the game we have grown up with is no more. We had better get used to all this. Then decide if it’s worth watching anymore
endoman

Post by endoman »

If current rules applied in the Manly game I wonder how many would have been left on the field, and how many weeks bans would be dished out. Thought the Watts one was harsh, don't think anything worthy of a ban in the game. If the same things happen 3 months into the season it's different, but game 1, when no one really knows how it will be policed, despite the pre season meetings etc, some leniancy should be called for.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

moto748 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:58 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:27 pm Not a chance in hell they will ban Smith.

I wish I had your confidence.
I genuinely think this could go either way in Smith's case. From what I can recall Smith has no history of disciplinary issues so has a good record to take into account. The incident itself was unfortunate, in difficult conditions and Smith didn't drive his opponent into the ground, so maybe some mitigation. I doubt a high-profile game will make any difference or that, as some have suggested, the RFL can choose which game(s) he would banned for if a ban is imposed. All pure speculation of course but his past record may just go for him. Fingers crossed!!