Man of Steel winner attempting to return to the NRL

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Man of Steel winner attempting to return to the NRL

Post by josie andrews »

He is off-contract at the end of the season

The reigning Super League Man of Steel winner has stated that he sees a return to the NRL on the card in the new future.

Set to compete against the Penrith Panthers in the World Club Challenge next weekend, Bevan French has stressed that his current goal is to return back to the NRL.

Off-contract at the end of the season, French is in career-best form, having led the Wigan Warriors to triumph over all the other Super League teams to take home the title and put an end to the St Helens RLFC dynasty - four Grand Final wins in four years.

Speaking on the World Club Challenge fixture against the Panthers, French insinuated that he is looking to return to Australia.

“I came over here with the goal of wanting to get back to the NRL one day", French said via NRL.com.

It's important, you've got to - I guess - pick the right timing as well. If you do go back, it's sort of your last shot so everything's got to fall into place, the way you want it to, to be able to do that.

“It's a great opportunity to test yourself against an NRL premiership team.

“That's not to say it's … I'll probably be more impressed with myself if I stay level-headed and consistent and not get a rush of blood because it's a NRL premiership-winning team."

Leaving the Parramatta Eels at the end of the 2018 season with 47 games and 140 points under his belt, French has been previously linked with a return to Australia.

It was understood that he was extremely close to signing with the Newcastle Knights in 2022 on a two-year contract but decided to stay with Wigan until at least the end of the 2024 season.

Only 28 years old, it is highly likely that French could make his way back to the NRL, especially when his contract expires at the end of next season, due to his skill and ability to play at fullback, on the wing or in the halves.

“There were things I wanted to tick off here - personal goals, team goals,” he added.

“We were yet to win a premiership. It felt like I owed them one. I definitely wanted to get that out of the way.”

https://www.zerotackle.com/man-of-steel ... rl-206156/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Man of Steel winner attempting to return to the NRL

Post by josie andrews »

'It's a chance to test yourself ': French ready for Panthers challenge

Super League’s reigning Man Of Steel Bevan French admits he’s always had an eye on an NRL return - but insists he must prove his pedigree by not trying to star in next weekend’s World Club Challenge against Penrith.

The Panthers touched down in Manchester half an hour early on Saturday but then faced lengthy immigration lines, non-playing five-eighth Jerome Luai and fellow Samoa international Brian To’o catching the eye in comfortable full-length beige kaftans.

French, 28, stressed he would never regard the world title bout at DW Stadium as merely a personal stage with his contract expiring at the end of the year.

But he added: “I came over here with the goal of wanting to get back to the NRL one day.

“It’s important, you’ve got to - I guess - pick the right timing as well. If you do go back, it’s sort of your last shot so everything’s got to fall into place, the way you want it to, to be able to do that.

“It’s a great opportunity to test yourself against an NRL premiership team.

“That’s not to say it’s … I’ll probably be more impressed with myself if I stay level-headed and consistent and not get a rush of blood because it’s a NRL premiership-winning team.

I think that takes a lot more professionalism, to be able to stay on your game plan and stay in the same plan rather than try and stand out from everyone else.

“It’s a great test, just to be able to stick to the things that we want to do - competing on every play and things like that.

“….it’s a good opportunity to test yourself as well. We see what happens from there.”

The Tingha-born former Parramatta star - batting just below a try a game for his five years in cherry-and-white - re-signed for two seasons in 2022.

“There were things I wanted to tick off here - personal goals, team goals,” he reflected.

We were yet to win a premiership. It felt like I owed them one. I definitely wanted to get that out of the way.”

French acknowledged the WCC had a different status in the British game and “for a lot of their [Penrith] players, it’s a first run-out and probably a bit of a trial match sort of thing.

“But just speaking with a couple of people now … obviously they’ve won a couple of grand finals and the club itself has played in three of these and not won one.

“No doubt they’ll want to win …. with the calibre of players there….

“It may not seem the same to Aussies but it you walk out onto a sold-out stadium with the atmosphere and the build-up, it’s going to be crazy. It’s going to be tough regardless.”

Speaking to NRL.com at the airport, Penrith prop and New Zealand Test captain James Fisher-Harris was asked if the Panthers had been focused on the WCC in the wake of last year’s one-point overtime defeat to St Helens.

“Not too much - just focused on ourselves, eh?” Fisher-Harris said. “We’re getting ourselves ready for a big season. It’s just part of the season. But we’re really looking forward to it.”

Reflecting on Lewis Dodd’s overtime field goal for a 13-12 Saints upset at BlueBet Stadium 12 months ago, he said: “We just didn’t play that great, to be honest. We just stuffed a lot of things up on the field and it took us too long to fix it.

“But I think we’ve been doing the simple things right during the pre-season and play how we play.”

However, the lessons from last year’s WCC do not necessarily apply to next Saturday at DW. "A little bit. Not too much, man," added the 2023 IRL Golden Boot winner.

It’s a little bit different over here, playing over here. I think it’s slightly slower over here. There’s a bit more in a ruck and all those type of things.

“[So] not really. We don’t think about that game too much. Just the occasion a little bit.

“It’s the first time all the boys have come over here so it’s exciting but … it’s different from St Helens - you know what I mean - [that] being back home. But … it will be a good challenge.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/02/18/i-h ... hers-test/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Welski

Post by Welski »

What do we read into this? Josie, you were hopeful of him signing a new deal when others were putting pen to paper, do you still think this will happen or is this his last year with us? Thanks
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Good luck to Bevan.

Hope he gets chance to play for a decent team and be a starting half at some point in his career. He's always been clear that his goal is to go back at some point.

I'd rather he stays, but best of luck if he does go.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Big Steve wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:44 pm Good luck to Bevan.

Hope he gets chance to play for a decent team and be a starting half at some point in his career. He's always been clear that his goal is to go back at some point.

I'd rather he stays, but best of luck if he does go.
He’s playing for a decent team team now & is a starting half 😉😉
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Welski wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:46 am What do we read into this? Josie, you were hopeful of him signing a new deal when others were putting pen to paper, do you still think this will happen or is this his last year with us? Thanks
It’s hard to say. I was genuinely hopeful especially after Jai & Abbas signed. But then Abbas told me he & Bevan & split up ending their flat sharing bromance 😂

I did tell Bevan the other week that I thought he’d got a girlfriend. He asked what made me think that & then said ‘has Abbas told you’? I told him no 😂 but I was right, he then admitted to me 😊

I won’t tell you the rest of the conversation but I did make him laugh & made him blush!! 😂😂
Welski

Post by Welski »

Haha thanks Josie, I really hope he stays but if he goes back I hope he does well. Despite him winning MoS I still don’t think he is in his best position! Him and Jai bring so much excitement to the game.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League