Wigan vs Penrith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pieeater

Re: Wigan vs Penrith

Post by pieeater »

What a game, every single player played their hearts out. Congratulations to each and every one of them and Matt Peet you are amazing! 👏👏👏🍒⚪🍒⚪🍒⚪
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

We rejoin eastern suburbs

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Last edited by ancientnloyal on Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Great win considering they made massive yards compared to ours.Yes we had a couple of calls in our favour.My mom was marshy who was great under the high ball and made massive hard yards.Biggest plus was a 13 v 13 game with no BS sin bins or reds
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:22 pm Great win considering they made massive yards compared to ours.Yes we had a couple of calls in our favour.My mom was marshy who was great under the high ball and made massive hard yards.Biggest plus was a 13 v 13 game with no BS sin bins or reds
Yes on that last bit!

Penrith are a class team but we got over the line in the end. Drama.

Let’s hope we see more people turn up each week and now my night is just beginning!

On day tonight will appear on my site once I get through the War and Mountfords era!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:55 pm Thought the game highlighted the difference in physicality between SL and the NRL. They were on another level. We also got the "rub of the green" more than I can remember a Wigan side ever getting in 40 years watching the team.

That said, Wigan really did dig deep and that alone has to be applauded. Great to get a win on the biggest stage.
L
Bollocks to we got the rub of the green !!!!
What about there 6 agains what they scored from . Bevs was a try
moto748

Post by moto748 »

And not least, a great advert for the sport on prime-time telly. Fantastic win, based, after all, on what we've been doing: great defence, and carrying a real threat when we get the opportunities, even if they are relatively few. So pleased for Matty Peet and the whole staff and players.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Just got back celebratory beer in hand. What a fantastic result. I thought Penrith were going to come out in the 2nd half and turn it on but the lads stuck with it and despite being under the cosh were able to post some points themselves.

I didn’t realise we had VAR in RL which give the video ref perfect judgement on offsides so I will watch that back with interest as well as the six again they got their second try from.

The Penrith players certainly thought Bevan’s score had won the game and it was worthy of doing so.

I thought Jake Wardle was immense as well as Ellis.

I wish we could see games like that every week. The standard in SL would soon go up if we did.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:04 am Just got back celebratory beer in hand. What a fantastic result. I thought Penrith were going to come out in the 2nd half and turn it on but the lads stuck with it and despite being under the cosh were able to post some points themselves.

I didn’t realise we had VAR in RL which give the video ref perfect judgement on offsides so I will watch that back with interest as well as the six again they got their second try from.

The Penrith players certainly thought Bevan’s score had won the game and it was worthy of doing so.

I thought Jake Wardle was immense as well as Ellis.

I wish we could see games like that every week. The standard in SL would soon go up if we did.
Both loose forwards were outstanding tonight. Ellis was certainly my MOM. Points win RL matches and not territory. To be honest even though Penrith dominated field position they didn’t create a lot. Terrific game, between two top teams.
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

A truly magnificent performance from the team. Every player who wore the Cherry and White should be proud of the way they turned up and faced down what Penrith threw at us. We may be missing a few more in the pack for our next game though. Brutal.

As ever, when Wigan have won a big game all opposing fans claim we only won because the referees are bent and the RFL plus Sky, Bill Gates and the illuminati have conspired to make sure we do. Cobblers. That was an incredible display of guts, passion and clinical rugby that no other side in Super League is currently capable of. Penrith weren't at their best and couldn't overcome that. Unlike them, we were clinical when we got chances, they frequently took terrible fifth tackle options despite Cleary's genius. We then defended heroically despite them eating up yardage with every set. Nothing to do with refs.

I went to the match and the atmosphere was the best I can remember it since pretty much the first World Club match against Manly in 87. Having just finished watching it back on TV at home. Here are some observations:

-The "international rules" coupled with the quality of the opposition made this an incredible spectacle and proves RL still can't really be beaten when played at this intensity in this style. the game was largely allowed to flow and be physical. Put today's Six Nations matches to shame.

-Bevan French was very harshly denied one of the great tries by the width of a gnat's whisker.

-There possibly was a slightly forward looking pass in the move for Leeming to score but hugely amusing to have this pointed out by Saints fans on social media who seem to score 75% of their tries from them.

-Both Wardle's try and Penrith's on the hooter disallowed try looked to be the right decision in real time and I never saw a "smoking gun" angle to change that and nor more importantly did the video referee despite him spending more time twiddling knobs in an edit suite than the producers of Love Island. Read lots of disgruntled fans of jealous clubs saying: "If the ref had called them differently on the pitch then the outcome would have been different." Correct. That's literally how every video ref decision works. Every week. That is the definition of ref's call and we've been on the wrong side of it plenty of times in the past too.

-There were some odd calls against us too but no one mentions those because they didn't directly involve tries.

-Even with four of our biggest forwards missing and Leeming and Cooper hobbled we still have a hugely physical pack now which coupled with the strike pace we have in the backs makes us a very exciting team.

-Jai Field's try saver was remarkable but the scary thing about it was that it felt routine. He just does that when someone breaks through from distance like he takes it personally if someone is outrunning him.

-So sad Wardle's pass out of the tackle to Marshall when we ran it on the 5th didn't go to hand. I think he was in and that would have been a magnificent try.

-A final concession I think being at home in front of that crowd and the passion of the occasion got us over the line tonight. As French said, we probably wouldn't have got there if the game had been played in Penrith which it must be said is a tribute to the St Helens achievement last season.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

DaiJones wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:51 am A truly magnificent performance from the team. Every player who wore the Cherry and White should be proud of the way they turned up and faced down what Penrith threw at us. We may be missing a few more in the pack for our next game though. Brutal.

As ever, when Wigan have won a big game all opposing fans claim we only won because the referees are bent and the RFL plus Sky, Bill Gates and the illuminati have conspired to make sure we do. Cobblers. That was an incredible display of guts, passion and clinical rugby that no other side in Super League is currently capable of. Penrith weren't at their best and couldn't overcome that. Unlike them, we were clinical when we got chances, they frequently took terrible fifth tackle options despite Cleary's genius. We then defended heroically despite them eating up yardage with every set. Nothing to do with refs.

I went to the match and the atmosphere was the best I can remember it since pretty much the first World Club match against Manly in 87. Having just finished watching it back on TV at home. Here are some observations:

-The "international rules" coupled with the quality of the opposition made this an incredible spectacle and proves RL still can't really be beaten when played at this intensity in this style. the game was largely allowed to flow and be physical. Put today's Six Nations matches to shame.

-Bevan French was very harshly denied one of the great tries by the width of a gnat's whisker.

-There possibly was a slightly forward looking pass in the move for Leeming to score but hugely amusing to have this pointed out by Saints fans on social media who seem to score 75% of their tries from them.

-Both Wardle's try and Penrith's on the hooter disallowed try looked to be the right decision in real time and I never saw a "smoking gun" angle to change that and nor more importantly did the video referee despite him spending more time twiddling knobs in an edit suite than the producers of Love Island. Read lots of disgruntled fans of jealous clubs saying: "If the ref had called them differently on the pitch then the outcome would have been different." Correct. That's literally how every video ref decision works. Every week. That is the definition of ref's call and we've been on the wrong side of it plenty of times in the past too.

-There were some odd calls against us too but no one mentions those because they didn't directly involve tries.

-Even with four of our biggest forwards missing and Leeming and Cooper hobbled we still have a hugely physical pack now which coupled with the strike pace we have in the backs makes us a very exciting team.

-Jai Field's try saver was remarkable but the scary thing about it was that it felt routine. He just does that when someone breaks through from distance like he takes it personally if someone is outrunning him.

-So sad Wardle's pass out of the tackle to Marshall when we ran it on the 5th didn't go to hand. I think he was in and that would have been a magnificent try.

-A final concession I think being at home in front of that crowd and the passion of the occasion got us over the line tonight. As French said, we probably wouldn't have got there if the game had been played in Penrith which it must be said is a tribute to the St Helens achievement last season.
Great post. The “spending more time twiddling knobs” comment me laugh. The Field try saver and Wardle pass comments totally spot on as well.