Wigan vs Penrith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
outback wiganer

Re: Wigan vs Penrith

Post by outback wiganer »

I thought Kaide Ellis was immense for us tonight. Jai Fields try saving tackle was one of the best I've seen in a long while. Bevan French so unlucky to be called offside. Harry Smiths kicking relieved so much pressure off our defensive line when needed. Great team performance all round. Edge of the seat stuff and squeaky bum time at the end, but I'm so proud of the club tonight. Just one final thing. Didn't Nathan Cleary look good in a Wigan Warriors shirt :D
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Absolutely thrilled we won. The boys did amazing and I think our defence won us that game.

We definitely got some favourable decisions from the ref but that’s just the way it goes sometimes.

Penrith made some uncharacteristic errors, not kicking on the last for the first 30 mins was strange but their ability to make meters was absolutely incredible. They shift the ball, use dummy runners and run at pace and it works.

I do have to question our poor kicking game and one our rugby. Every kick was just a hit and hope and only 2 all night hit the ground and for some reason we decided to just run one player up into penriths brick wall.

Hopefully our injuries aren’t too costly as Leeming went off, Mago and Cooper took knocks and Miski is heavily strapped.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

up the junction wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:42 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:55 pm Thought the game highlighted the difference in physicality between SL and the NRL. They were on another level. We also got the "rub of the green" more than I can remember a Wigan side ever getting in 40 years watching the team.

That said, Wigan really did dig deep and that alone has to be applauded. Great to get a win on the biggest stage.
L
Bollocks to we got the rub of the green !!!!
What about there 6 agains what they scored from . Bevs was a try
We did get the rub with the Wardle try, their no try at the end, pass to Miski for Keighran try could have been given forward and the 1 on 1 strip…

If you look at the lines in the grass you can clearly see French is ahead of Smith.

It is possible to be happy with the win but be honest about some things that happened.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Flash

Post by Flash »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:57 am
Wintergreen wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:55 pm Thought the game highlighted the difference in physicality between SL and the NRL. They were on another level. We also got the "rub of the green" more than I can remember a Wigan side ever getting in 40 years watching the team.

That said, Wigan really did dig deep and that alone has to be applauded. Great to get a win on the biggest stage.
L
We did get the correct decisions with the Wardle try, their no try at the end, pass to Miski for Keighran try could have been given forward as could several of theirs and the 1 on 1 strip…

If you look at the lines in the grass you can clearly see French is ahead of Smith.

It is possible to be happy with the win but have an opinion about some things that happened.
Corrected your post for you mate.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Flash wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:14 am
L
We did get the correct decisions with the Wardle try, their no try at the end, pass to Miski for Keighran try could have been given forward as could several of theirs and the 1 on 1 strip…

It is possible to be happy with the win but have an opinion about some things that happened.
😂
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jobo wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:52 am
Flash wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:14 am

😂
International laws mean that both feet have to be behind the line (explained in the commentary) under SL rules only one foot needs to be behind as the ball is kicked. Highlights that it is crazy that we complicate our game by playing under multiple sets of laws.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Not watched it back on TV yet, but at the game I did think that we got the benefit of doubt from the Ref, makes a change.
Kaide Ellis was definitely man of the match, he was a real workhorse, perhaps we won't miss Smithies as much as I thought we would.
Overall a fantastic defensive display.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:54 am Absolutely thrilled we won. The boys did amazing and I think our defence won us that game.

We definitely got some favourable decisions from the ref but that’s just the way it goes sometimes.

Penrith made some uncharacteristic errors, not kicking on the last for the first 30 mins was strange but their ability to make meters was absolutely incredible. They shift the ball, use dummy runners and run at pace and it works.

I do have to question our poor kicking game and one our rugby. Every kick was just a hit and hope and only 2 all night hit the ground and for some reason we decided to just run one player up into penriths brick wall.

Hopefully our injuries aren’t too costly as Leeming went off, Mago and Cooper took knocks and Miski is heavily strapped.
I think our kicking game and one-up rugby was forced on us by the intensity of the opposition.

For Wigan to weather that and put in the effort that they did was a really really special effort. Penrith were a bit disrespectful with their insistence to run on the last, but that behaviour was changed entirely through the efforts of our defence.

As you highlighted, we did get a lot of decisions in our favour, and importantly at key moments in the game, and let's be honest that helped- a lot. However, on it's own it wouldn't have been enough.

Don't forget the salary cap in the NRL is around 3 times as high as in the UK. Approx £6m vs £2m.

Think about that for a second.

Overall a fantastic effort and ultimately result from Wigan, and I for one couldn't be happier.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Ipinwigan wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:04 am Not watched it back on TV yet, but at the game I did think that we got the benefit of doubt from the Ref, makes a change.
Kaide Ellis was definitely man of the match, he was a real workhorse, perhaps we won't miss Smithies as much as I thought we would.
Overall a fantastic defensive display.
I watched on TV and we didn't get the rub of the green, however what is causing the fuss is we got 2 key calls

1. The Wardle try
2. The no try and the end

If thos decisions are reversed we lose. However and the point that lots of people seem to miss is throughout the game there are a few decisions that were wrong for both sides.

A penalty against Ellis which lead to a try was the wrong call.
The strip against penrith was the wrong call
Penrith had numerous forward passes but then wigan also got away with some.
There was alot of head shots that got no action.

The ref let the game flow and it made the match entertaining. The fact that the Anti wigan brigade are so focused these decisions shows how close the game actually was. Those two decisions are not the reason penrith didn't convert the mass of field position they had.

Penrith seemed to have a plan that they would just play down the middle using their clearly superior forwards and win that way. When they failed to break us down they didn't adapt until it was to late.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Fantastic performance from all the players.Wonder when the rumours start they have opened the cheque book to take some our players over there