Wigan vs Penrith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Re: Wigan vs Penrith

Post by Suzieb »

It was nice to see a good hard game of rugby which was a credit to both teams and made a change from the stop start stuff we have witnessed prior to this game to all the armchair critics as they say on the chase just another day at the office well done world champs
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Re the last second no try.

At the end of the BBC review after the game you get the clearest view that Field and Miski get their hands under the ball and keep it up. The ref had the bast view in this instance from anywhere and he gave it no try. Nothing controversial except that it was impossible to see it grounded - more controversial if it had been given.

Play wardles try at full speed and again it's far less clear cut, the last movement looks like it could just as easily been To'o moving it towards him as his had is round the ball.
Possibly a little fortunate there, but go to Field getting a whack round the head after picking up a loose ball on the 76th minute, clear penalty not given. We get that and stay down there end you're looking at an entirely different last few minutes.

All in all, that's RL and sport, Wigan did enough to win and put an immense shift in to do it. We shouldn't be discrediting the win just because there's an element of doubt.

Penrith had a full 40 mins s to win that game.
outback wiganer

Post by outback wiganer »

Just one thing that is confusing me about last night's game. It had been advertised for weeks as being sold out. But I noticed last night that one section at the top right corner of the east stand was empty. I'm not sure what the capacity of the DW is now, but 24,091 seems a fraction short of a full house.
Superb Chops

Post by Superb Chops »

Wintergreen wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:20 am

I think our kicking game and one-up rugby was forced on us by the intensity of the opposition.

For Wigan to weather that and put in the effort that they did was a really really special effort. Penrith were a bit disrespectful with their insistence to run on the last, but that behaviour was changed entirely through the efforts of our defence.

As you highlighted, we did get a lot of decisions in our favour, and importantly at key moments in the game, and let's be honest that helped- a lot. However, on it's own it wouldn't have been enough.

Don't forget the salary cap in the NRL is around 3 times as high as in the UK. Approx £6m vs £2m.

Think about that for a second.

Overall a fantastic effort and ultimately result from Wigan, and I for one couldn't be happier.
This post says it better than I can.

Only things to add. Just watched it back and remain appreciative at the intensity and skills, when required, of the Wigan squad. That game will stand out in the players' memories when their careers are over.

Hats off too to Penrith. Yes, they will regret parts but their loose forward and full back were excellent while the Clearys are clearly class. The latter duo for their post-match comments and actions.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

outback wiganer wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:56 am Just one thing that is confusing me about last night's game. It had been advertised for weeks as being sold out. But I noticed last night that one section at the top right corner of the east stand was empty. I'm not sure what the capacity of the DW is now, but 24,091 seems a fraction short of a full house.
The stadium holds 25,133. Due to Health & Safety rules now, the stadium can’t be completely full.

The biggest crowd registered was 2005 Good Friday fixture Wigan Warriors v St Helens 25,004

It never been allowed since.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Penrith never looked like getting an overlap even at the end. Though I do think it was a try but on field ruling could not overturn it.

Our defence is NRL level. Evertime we got into their 20 we looked dangerous. They were overall the better team but they never looked like NRL champions inside our 20.

Good advertisement for taking the WCC forward.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Big Steve wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:48 am Re the last second no try.

At the end of the BBC review after the game you get the clearest view that Field and Miski get their hands under the ball and keep it up. The ref had the bast view in this instance from anywhere and he gave it no try. Nothing controversial except that it was impossible to see it grounded - more controversial if it had been given.

Play wardles try at full speed and again it's far less clear cut, the last movement looks like it could just as easily been To'o moving it towards him as his had is round the ball.
Possibly a little fortunate there, but go to Field getting a whack round the head after picking up a loose ball on the 76th minute, clear penalty not given. We get that and stay down there end you're looking at an entirely different last few minutes.

All in all, that's RL and sport, Wigan did enough to win and put an immense shift in to do it. We shouldn't be discrediting the win just because there's an element of doubt.

Penrith had a full 40 mins s to win that game.
We all moan if we lose a close game due to a controversial call but like you say they had enough time to mean it should not matter. They certainly had enough field position forcing Smith to kick out from deep in our half.

The six again that led to their second try was wrong anyway having watched it back. Their player milked it by falling to the ground. Swings & Roundabouts.
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Very much enjoying revelling in the bitterness of other club's fans this morning. You forget how much everyone else hates us and are terrified that another era of dominance is beginning.

People can't even decide what to moan about. Last night I kept reading that Wardle had grounded the ball well short of the line and so the whole idea of Moore saying 'Try' was a crime, then when other people have posted a pic of an angle of him with the tip of the ball clearly on the line it is all of a sudden he did ground it but from a double movement which no one was mentioning yesterday.

As for Penrith's no try at the end, I have seen no angle to suggest that the ball was anywhere other than on the hand and foot of Miski and Keighran. No way it could be given on the evidence available. What's the problem?

Maybe it was camera angle but I think there was a forward pass for Leeming's try but these seem to occur at the rate of 1 or 2 game (3 or 4 if Saints are playing).

To wear my Welsh rugby union hat, anyone who thinks that was a one-eyed refereeing performance, I urge them to watch any game involving the Irish national side or their provinces in the URC. Almost laughable at times
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Some random very happy thoughts…
1) we did concede more ground in standard sets but we have played like that for many years, backing our defence and the precision of our attack;
2) we attacked far better: our execution of the key attacking plays has been fantastic in every big game we have played in the last 2 years;
3) O’Neill and Hill! Take a bow boys. The future’s bright;
4) I have absolutely no doubts at all that we deserved the win. Had we needed to score if Wardle’s try was disallowed we would have done so. Penrith failed to score a structured try across the 80 and we scored 3. That combination of heroic defence and precision attack won the game.

Finally - does anyone know whether they will add another star on kits sold from now on? I was holding off buying one until we had won 5…
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Have just read an Australian newspaper article moaning about "home refereeing". I may stop laughing in June. I think if you look up the term "home refereeing" it says "Refereeing games like they do in Australia when they play teams from other countries"