Wigan vs Penrith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: Wigan vs Penrith

Post by moto748 »

On a personal note, I'd just like to add that unfortunately I was taken poorly at the match last night; I didn't feel great before kick-off, and shortly after Miski's lovely opening score, I thought, this is no good, I can't stay. So shuffled out of the stadium. :( I had the idea of heading over to Robin's Park (I thought, at least I can use their nice clean, warm loos!), so I did all that, and i was retching a bit and feeling very weak. And of course the building was virtually deserted. But there were a few staff, and a guy asked me if I was OK, and I explained and said I needed the loo and thought I could get a taxi home from there. The staff couldn't have been friendlier and more helpful, sit down here, would you like a drink , etc, don't worry, we'll order a taxi for you. So after a few minutes a taxi turned up and I was soon home. Of course I had the match recording on my TV at home, so just tuned in, and by the final whistle, I was much better.

Just a bug, these things happen (although I can't remember the last time), and I'm really sorry to have not seen the game live, but I'd just like to register my thanks to the staff at Robin's Park.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Just watched game back and its amazing how you get another outlook.Wigans second was forward but i said that at the match as i was in lone with it.Penrith’s second was not a six again as edwards clearly milked it.I honest believe wardle just got the ball down and having paused the french try he was just onside.So yes best team won and ive changed my mind on marshy being mom as it was clearly ellis as others have stated.That tackle off field was just as good as the one on the leeds winger the other year.Great memories and class win
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Huddersfield, wasn't it? Or was that another one? That same vibe of "Think you can take me on the outside? Just give it a try!" :lol:
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

outback wiganer wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:56 am Just one thing that is confusing me about last night's game. It had been advertised for weeks as being sold out. But I noticed last night that one section at the top right corner of the east stand was empty. I'm not sure what the capacity of the DW is now, but 24,091 seems a fraction short of a full house.
That section couldn't be used as there was restricted viewing due to the screen.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:02 pm Some random very happy thoughts…
1) we did concede more ground in standard sets but we have played like that for many years, backing our defence and the precision of our attack;
2) we attacked far better: our execution of the key attacking plays has been fantastic in every big game we have played in the last 2 years;
3) O’Neill and Hill! Take a bow boys. The future’s bright;
4) I have absolutely no doubts at all that we deserved the win. Had we needed to score if Wardle’s try was disallowed we would have done so. Penrith failed to score a structured try across the 80 and we scored 3. That combination of heroic defence and precision attack won the game.

Finally - does anyone know whether they will add another star on kits sold from now on? I was holding off buying one until we had won 5…
:lol: I love your confidence. I am sure that the Club, and Kappa, will be making the most of it.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:31 pm Just watched game back and its amazing how you get another outlook.Wigans second was forward but i said that at the match as i was in lone with it.Penrith’s second was not a six again as edwards clearly milked it.I honest believe wardle just got the ball down and having paused the french try he was just onside.So yes best team won and ive changed my mind on marshy being mom as it was clearly ellis as others have stated.That tackle off field was just as good as the one on the leeds winger the other year.Great memories and class win
Both of French feet need to be behind smithies. When you look at the lines and colouring in the grass you can see they clearly aren’t.

Very unfortunate as it was amazing play.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

moto748 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:33 pm Huddersfield, wasn't it? Or was that another one? That same vibe of "Think you can take me on the outside? Just give it a try!" :lol:
Maybe pal.I had it in my head that it was the speedy leeds kid on debut but im not 100%
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:08 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:31 pm Just watched game back and its amazing how you get another outlook.Wigans second was forward but i said that at the match as i was in lone with it.Penrith’s second was not a six again as edwards clearly milked it.I honest believe wardle just got the ball down and having paused the french try he was just onside.So yes best team won and ive changed my mind on marshy being mom as it was clearly ellis as others have stated.That tackle off field was just as good as the one on the leeds winger the other year.Great memories and class win
Both of French feet need to be behind smithies. When you look at the lines and colouring in the grass you can see they clearly aren’t.

Very unfortunate as it was amazing play.
Yes i knew that but on there pause the ball had already left smiths foot.I paused it as the ball was on smiths foot.Milliseconds make all the difference so for me it was a try
Fizz Bomb

Post by Fizz Bomb »

I’ve not watched it back yet but watching it live l also thought Kade Ellis was absolutely magnificent, never taking a backward step, repeatedly taking the ball into heavy contact without being bullied, and tackling anything that was in reach even when he must have been out on his feet. I also think Brad O Neal was brilliant. He’s a young lad who stood up to the best pack in the NRL and held his own for over 60 mins of high intensity rugby, with an “in your face and l don’t care who you are” attitude when he was marker.The defensive display to keep Penrith pointless for the second half was tough teamwork and shear doggedness of the highest order and that feat will not be achieved by many teams.

Even after that magnificent show, l think Matt Pete will have some tough decisions to make around our second row when we have a fit Walters and Nesemba available,

We have the history Sentelins wish they had
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Fizz Bomb wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:52 pm I’ve not watched it back yet but watching it live l also thought Kade Ellis was absolutely magnificent, never taking a backward step, repeatedly taking the ball into heavy contact without being bullied, and tackling anything that was in reach even when he must have been out on his feet. I also think Brad O Neal was brilliant. He’s a young lad who stood up to the best pack in the NRL and held his own for over 60 mins of high intensity rugby, with an “in your face and l don’t care who you are” attitude when he was marker.The defensive display to keep Penrith pointless for the second half was tough teamwork and shear doggedness of the highest order and that feat will not be achieved by many teams.

Even after that magnificent show, l think Matt Pete will have some tough decisions to make around our second row when we have a fit Walters and Nesemba available,
Why is that?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."