Wigan vs Penrith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Wigan vs Penrith

Post by medlocke »

The future looks very bright under Matty Peet and his fantastic coaching set up, long may we have success :D
Beryl O'Neill

Post by Beryl O'Neill »

:lol: Well done excellent close game been on red vee some envious folk on there Matty Peet is an excellent coach congratulations to everyone involved with Wigan Warriors 👍
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:02 pm
Fizz Bomb wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:52 pm I’ve not watched it back yet but watching it live l also thought Kade Ellis was absolutely magnificent, never taking a backward step, repeatedly taking the ball into heavy contact without being bullied, and tackling anything that was in reach even when he must have been out on his feet. I also think Brad O Neal was brilliant. He’s a young lad who stood up to the best pack in the NRL and held his own for over 60 mins of high intensity rugby, with an “in your face and l don’t care who you are” attitude when he was marker.The defensive display to keep Penrith pointless for the second half was tough teamwork and shear doggedness of the highest order and that feat will not be achieved by many teams.

Even after that magnificent show, l think Matt Pete will have some tough decisions to make around our second row when we have a fit Walters and Nesemba available,
Why is that?
Well certainly Isa will only appear occassionally and Farrell is liable to get more longterm injuries as he gets older and will need more nursing for important games perhaps.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Fizz Bomb

Post by Fizz Bomb »

Willie ISA is 35 years old and Liam Farrell is 34 years old so maybe it’s better to let players go a season early rather than a year to late, especially when we have players that are the future at best warming the bench. Both Willie and Liam have had a wonderful career but even they will admit they are not the future
We have the history Sentelins wish they had
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:22 pm Great win considering they made massive yards compared to ours.Yes we had a couple of calls in our favour.My mom was marshy who was great under the high ball and made massive hard yards.Biggest plus was a 13 v 13 game with no BS sin bins or reds
👍👍👍
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:02 pm
Fizz Bomb wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:52 pm I’ve not watched it back yet but watching it live l also thought Kade Ellis was absolutely magnificent, never taking a backward step, repeatedly taking the ball into heavy contact without being bullied, and tackling anything that was in reach even when he must have been out on his feet. I also think Brad O Neal was brilliant. He’s a young lad who stood up to the best pack in the NRL and held his own for over 60 mins of high intensity rugby, with an “in your face and l don’t care who you are” attitude when he was marker.The defensive display to keep Penrith pointless for the second half was tough teamwork and shear doggedness of the highest order and that feat will not be achieved by many teams.

Even after that magnificent show, l think Matt Pete will have some tough decisions to make around our second row when we have a fit Walters and Nesemba available,
Why is that?
Because we need more size in the pack.
morley pie eater

Flash wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:14 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:57 am
up the junction wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:42 pm
L
Bollocks to we got the rub of the green !!!!
What about there 6 agains what they scored from . Bevs was a try
We did get the correct decisions with the Wardle try, their no try at the end, pass to Miski for Keighran try could have been given forward as could several of theirs and the 1 on 1 strip…

If you look at the lines in the grass you can clearly see French is ahead of Smith.

It is possible to be happy with the win but have an opinion about some things that happened.
Corrected your post for you mate.
:D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Could I make a comment, not to criticise anyone, but more a bit of advice from an owd mon who's been around for a while?

I'm surprised how much of this thread is devoted to examination of refereeing decisions. I've said before that I clearly remember as an 13 or 14 year old (mid 60s), getting upset at an opposition score that I had more than one objection to. A wise old bloke nearby (he'd be around 127 if he's still around), said to me "Read it in tomorrow's papers, son."

I took his words to heart, and have learnt to go to a game and accept the result - win or lose. I was there yesterday, and we won - I know cos I checked it out in today's papers!

I'm enjoying celebrating a great victory. I told my granddaughter that I was there in 1987 when we beat Manly,and remember it 37 years later, and that she will remember this game in 37 years time.

Even 12 months from now, the decisions will be largely forgotten. But we'll have the memories of a great night, a great win, and we'll have ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ on our shirts.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:08 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:31 pm Just watched game back and its amazing how you get another outlook.Wigans second was forward but i said that at the match as i was in lone with it.Penrith’s second was not a six again as edwards clearly milked it.I honest believe wardle just got the ball down and having paused the french try he was just onside.So yes best team won and ive changed my mind on marshy being mom as it was clearly ellis as others have stated.That tackle off field was just as good as the one on the leeds winger the other year.Great memories and class win
Both of French feet need to be behind smithies. When you look at the lines and colouring in the grass you can see they clearly aren’t.

Very unfortunate as it was amazing play.
Behind the ball. Which if you look at the cut of the grass, they were.

Great performance by Wigan. We were pinned back by the yardage game and overcamr that with determination in defence. Whenever we got an opportunity we showed just how much better in attack we are then the conservative Aussie consensus. In the second half we even threatened from our own territory. Absolutely fantastic performance and nothing can take away from that.

Aussies showed the limited nature of their boring game. Yes they can make metres, yes they have fast line speed, but pace, elusiveness and attacking skill? They've got nothing. The games changed and they're being left behind.

Oh, and we could all have posted before the game about exactly how they would winge if we won. We could have probably written exactly what it would be about - ref, slow ptb, pitch, prea-season friendly, etc etc etc. so predictable . I'll be laughing at them all year and I'll enjoy the NRL Vegas games. The junior comps little showcase :lol: :lol: :lol:

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't know that I'd agree with that; Penrith have their way of playing, which has been incredibly successful for them, as their record attests. But not all teams in the NRL play the same; you couldn't make that criticism of the Broncos, for instance. And Nathan Cleary is the best, there's not much doubt about that as far as I'm concerned.