Wigan vs Penrith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mickali1

Re: Wigan vs Penrith

Post by mickali1 »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:37 pm Could I make a comment, not to criticise anyone, but more a bit of advice from an owd mon who's been around for a while?

I'm surprised how much of this thread is devoted to examination of refereeing decisions. I've said before that I clearly remember as an 13 or 14 year old (mid 60s), getting upset at an opposition score that I had more than one objection to. A wise old bloke nearby (he'd be around 127 if he's still around), said to me "Read it in tomorrow's papers, son."

I took his words to heart, and have learnt to go to a game and accept the result - win or lose. I was there yesterday, and we won - I know cos I checked it out in today's papers!

I'm enjoying celebrating a great victory. I told my granddaughter that I was there in 1987 when we beat Manly,and remember it 37 years later, and that she will remember this game in 37 years time.

Even 12 months from now, the decisions will be largely forgotten. But we'll have the memories of a great night, a great win, and we'll have ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ on our shirts.
#
Spot on. I'm always telling my boys about '87.
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

i think everything has been covered very well for and against for both teams, both could look at good and bad luck at times but I think the ref let the game flow so he should be commended.
The purpose of my contribution is to compliment Kaide Ellis on an outstanding display which should have earned him the MOM, second Brad O'Neill what a workhorse a genuine tackling machine, third for his try saving tackles which he makes look easy Jai Field. Several others could have been in the mix because everyone deserved all the plaudits that come their way. Best night for atmosphere since 1987 at Central Park. I'm buzzing for what's to come. C'mon Wigan.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Is “serious about rugby league “ a Yorkshire website, they clearly hate Wigan. All last week it was about Smith, and today every headline is anti Wigan. Maybe tomorrow they might say well done, doubt it though.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

First Try Tickle wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:21 pm Is “serious about rugby league “ a Yorkshire website, they clearly hate Wigan. All last week it was about Smith, and today every headline is anti Wigan. Maybe tomorrow they might say well done, doubt it though.
They just want clicks. It's whatever they think will get views.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Flash

Post by Flash »

Firestarter wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:20 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:08 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:31 pm Just watched game back and its amazing how you get another outlook.Wigans second was forward but i said that at the match as i was in lone with it.Penrith’s second was not a six again as edwards clearly milked it.I honest believe wardle just got the ball down and having paused the french try he was just onside.So yes best team won and ive changed my mind on marshy being mom as it was clearly ellis as others have stated.That tackle off field was just as good as the one on the leeds winger the other year.Great memories and class win
Both of French feet need to be behind smithies. When you look at the lines and colouring in the grass you can see they clearly aren’t.

Very unfortunate as it was amazing play.
Yes i knew that but on there pause the ball had already left smiths foot.I paused it as the ball was on smiths foot.Milliseconds make all the difference so for me it was a try
I've only seen it on a small screen as I only arrived back from holiday today but I have noticed a lot of the argument about offside seems to centre on French needing to have both feet behind Smith. He doesn't. He needs to have both feet behind the ball at the point it's kicked and that's far less clear cut. It looks bang on line to me (off my admittedly limited view) if you trace the dark on field grass line through French's feet to the ball.

I feel the angle of French running along with Smith's body being a yard behind the ball makes it look more offside than perhaps it was. I can't say definitely it wasn't but it perhaps deserved more than one look.

On offsides generally, why do we, as a sport, not use the on screen marker graphics in the same way football does? Surely this would help take the guesswork out of it?
Flash

Post by Flash »

medlocke wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:47 pm The future looks very bright under Matty Peet and his fantastic coaching set up, long may we have success :D
But...but...jobs for the boys Meds! :shock: :lol:
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Has it all sunk in yet? It's great waking up in the morning and realising we're back where we belong. Well done to everybody involved with the club. I'm so proud of you all.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Flash wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:05 am
medlocke wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:47 pm The future looks very bright under Matty Peet and his fantastic coaching set up, long may we have success :D
But...but...jobs for the boys Meds! :shock: :lol:
I have been proved wrong so I will say no more on the matter :!:
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Heard one of the players not the brightest asked to swap shirts with the REF :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Finally able to look at the incidents at home today :)

I'm brassed off with this "biased" reffing tack we are seeing.....

General pens/6 agains for holding etc were about even.

Penrith 1st try, there was a case for Miski being taken out - surely a bias ref would have sent that to the screen if nothing else but the try was (rightly) given

Penrith 2nd try, Field briefly holds up Edwards but the ball gets to the floor but its not 100% clear, Ref sends up as a try - no evidence to change the decision so a try is awarded, a biassed ref could have sent that up as no try?

Wardle try, ref sees the ball grounded on the line but sends it up as try as its not 100% - no evidence to overturn so try is awarded.

Final try - absolutely no sign of the ball on the ground so must go up as no try, no evidence to overturn so no try can be given

And French no try - surely a bias ref sends that up as try? but it was sent up as no try....I think French may have been offside but the evidence wasn't strong so it might have been given as try by the Video Ref.