Nathan Cleary ‘open minded’ about future Super League move as superstar talks up UK

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Nathan Cleary ‘open minded’ about future Super League move as superstar talks up UK

Post by josie andrews »

Penrith Panthers and rugby league superstar Nathan Cleary has made some interesting remarks about a switch to joining the Super League in the future.

In an interview with the Mirror, Cleary said he has a “pretty open mind” in general and highlighted the different benefits that would come from a Super League switch at some point in his career.

His signing would be a major scalp for the UK competition, regardless of when it may happen.

I’m not against it (a Super League move). I have a pretty open mind to that kind of stuff,” Cleary said.

“I think just being able to experience different cultures and different experiences is something I enjoy doing. I’m not closed off to that idea.”

Cleary and the Panthers are currently in Manchester for the World Club Challenge where they’ll take on Wigan on Sunday (AEDT).

The 26-year-old has loved being back in the city and being closer to Fowler.

“I was lucky enough to spend almost two months in Manchester for the World Cup and really enjoyed it,” he said.

“I’m lucky enough to know a bit about the town now and know where everything is so it’s good to be back. I actually really like just being able to wander around the streets and no one knows who you are. I think I’ve only been recognised once. It’s a nice change (to Sydney).”

A potential move to the Super League later in his career would also theoretically bring Cleary closer to Mary Fowler, with the Matildas star playing for Manchester City.

Cleary and Fowler melted hearts with their airport reunion after Fowler returned home in time for Christmas.

Cleary was seen with a huge smile as he picked the Matildas star up at the arrivals gate after she touched down on an Emirates flight from Dubai.

It was the first time the pair had seen each other since November 2 when Cleary farewelled Fowler at Perth Airport after watching her score a goal in Australia’s 3-0 win over Taiwan the previous night.

Their relationship was confirmed just one day earlier when they were pictured cuddling together in a Perth park.

The loved up couple made the most of their time together as they were spotted mucking around at an oval near Cleary’s Penrith home.

The pair are believed to have met at a promotional event for Adidas, which sponsors both athletes.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... faff338da1
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Re: Nathan Cleary ‘open minded’ about future Super League move as superstar talks up UK

Post by moto748 »

The Aussies, they know how to do PR.
Barney841

Re: Nathan Cleary ‘open minded’ about future Super League move as superstar talks up UK

Post by Barney841 »

Maybe in 10 years time!!!
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I'm sure we'll not see him playing for a club over here but what a class act. He was taking selfies and signing stuff for our fans for ages after the game.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

He is a superb player who I am more than happy to have seen play live. In my view, he is one of the all time greats.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

He looked good in Cherry and white, fantastic player and an awesome guy, not your usual arrogant Aussie
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

just watched the game back and all the post match

he seemed to be there for an eternity signing and taking selfies with fans of all ages. Absolute credit to himself, and jamie peacock / BBC pitchside team commented on it too