Jai Field

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Brennox7

Jai Field

Post by Brennox7 »

Been talking to the Aussie press saying he fancies a stint back down under.

I didn’t know his 4 year deal he signed was 2 years + 2 years option (in his favour) with an NRL release clause.

Kept that one quiet didn’t we 😳
Barney841

Re: Jai Field

Post by Barney841 »

Was inevitable that Field and French will want another go at the NRL again.
Can see maybe French settling back in, Field I’m not so sure.
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

You can't blame them for wanting to go back home. Both have given great service to us and can leave with their heads held high. However the club should be working on a succession plan for if/when they do leave.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Brennox7 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:56 pm Been talking to the Aussie press saying he fancies a stint back down under.

I didn’t know his 4 year deal he signed was 2 years + 2 years option (in his favour) with an NRL release clause.

Kept that one quiet didn’t we 😳
Have you got a link please?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Flash

Post by Flash »

He says he's definitely here this year and next and then he'll see what his options are. 2026 at the earliest by which time he'll have been here 5 years
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Firstly you can't blame him for wanting to go back to his home. Perfectly natural thing.

That said I am of the opinion that from a purely rugby perspective, Field's game is much more suitable for Superleague than it is the NRL. Same with French btw, though his new found stand off skills may change that.

Either way good luck to him.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Flash wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:40 pm He says he's definitely here this year and next and then he'll see what his options are. 2026 at the earliest by which time he'll have been here 5 years
Where is this interview please?
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Is His contract not a 4 year deal. After 2 years has option to go but a transfer fee will be required. Sure it's a 4 year deal. Otherwise it would have stated to be same as French signed 2 year deal with a further 2 year option. It specifically states signed 4 year deal.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:32 pm Is His contract not a 4 year deal. After 2 years has option to go but a transfer fee will be required. Sure it's a 4 year deal. Otherwise it would have stated to be same as French signed 2 year deal with a further 2 year option. It specifically states signed 4 year deal.
I posted this on 3rd January

Wigan Warriors - Jai Field

Probably the biggest off-contract talent this time, Field is a star attraction for the Super League champions.

Their star-studded squad is better with Field, whose pace and skill prove to be a matchwinner time and time again.

Wigan will want to keep this squad together, he is still only 26 and could have a long future at the club.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... t-28379584
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

From what I have seen of the NRL, Field is far far better suited to Super League. NRL backs are so huge they can stop him with one hand, so he can’t cause anything like the same damage. It’s simply physics. I love watching him play, and am happy we have at least 2 more years to see him find gaps that don’t exist for mortals.

I am sure French will honour his contract and then go home. I am not sure where he would play over there, as he isn’t a conventional 6, and they do like their structure.