Injuries

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the pieman

Re: Injuries

Post by the pieman »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:59 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:00 am
NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:05 pm Keeping everything crossed for Mike Cooper. The guy deserves some luck and hopefully it’s not a long term one again. I’m not sure he’d have got back on the field had it been as bad as last time so hopefully that’s a good sign.
Does make you wonder whether he was brought back to early and questioning why he was sent back on?
Much as I'm hugely impressed by Matt Peet and our coaching staff, the one area I question their approach is on managing players with injuries. Ethan Harvard, Mike Cooper, Kruise Leeming, Liam Byrne (last season) are just some examples.
I would say that there's probably 2 sides to each of these too, not just coaching staff wanting the best players on the park

For Cooper it was his 1st and last chance to play in a game as big as the WCC. He has probably bust his b******s off since his injury to get back for this game (certainly the off season after we won the GF). He probably was back a month early, and not really built up his game time with reserve game time. I think the more critical decision was to put him back on last week, rather than him starting the game

Leeming i'm not sure, but he certainly didnt look good when he came off at Cas. Again probably seen the game and declared himself fit?

Havard last year for the GF was a case of he'd done the same v Wire earlier in the season and they were hoping for the same. It was clear from his 1st hit up he wasnt fit and i think that was a bad decision in the end
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

Always difficult with injuries, the medical staff can do all they can do which is best for the injury in question but ultimately it is generally left to the player themselves to say if they feel it is fully healed.

The teams will do strenght tests and movement tests on the affected areas but rely on the player being completely hinest if they feel any kind of pain in the area and given the GF last year with Havard and the WCC this year with Copps and Leaming, who wouldnt decleare themsleves fit if they thought they could play through the potential pain barrier.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike Coopers injury last year v Saints Good Friday was to his right knee.

The injury to his lower leg was to his left leg.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:18 pm Mike Coopers injury last year v Saints Good Friday was to his right knee.

The injury to his lower leg was to his left leg.
Great spot, Josie.

Funnily enough I was thinking about that and was going to watch the incident on WiganTV to check :D
Green Machine

Post by Green Machine »

When Cooper went off the physio was working on his left knee, when he came back on late in the game the strapping was on his right leg. :?:
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

WarriorWinger wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:22 am Always difficult with injuries, the medical staff can do all they can do which is best for the injury in question but ultimately it is generally left to the player themselves to say if they feel it is fully healed.

The teams will do strenght tests and movement tests on the affected areas but rely on the player being completely hinest if they feel any kind of pain in the area and given the GF last year with Havard and the WCC this year with Copps and Leaming, who wouldnt decleare themsleves fit if they thought they could play through the potential pain barrier.
My questions are:

1. Should it be left to players to "declare themselves fit" (if that's what happens)?

2. Playing "through the pain barrier" sounds noble, but it can be stupid.
When I was in my early 20s, I rode my motorbike at silly speeds whilst wearing shorts and t-shirt and no crash helmet. I'm now 72 and still ride a bike, but won't go near it without helmet, leather trousers with armoured knees and thighs, jacket with armoured back, shoulders and elbows, boots and gloves - even when it's 25⁰.
I think it's called wisdom and tends to come with age, though not always.

The coaches and medical staff should provide the wisdom, while the players can do the daft stuff on the field for our entertainment.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Prop Harvey Wilson has been recalled from loan

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-wa ... ub-88639/

Wigan Warriors
Wigan Warriors bring in impressive forward from Championship club

by Cam Pattison
February 29, 2024

Wigan Warriors

Wigan Warriors have brought back Harvey Wilson to the club after the young press impressed in the early stages of the season at Widnes Vikings.

The young prop joined Widnes on what was supposed to be a season long loan but has been drafted back to the DW Stadium.

This comes after an injury worry to Mike Cooper though Luke Thompson should be better after his head knock in round one against Castleford Tigers.

The 19-year-old Wilson plays as a prop forward and played seven times for Oldham, on dual-registration from Wigan in 2023, scoring twice.

Wilson’s addition initially appeared to bolster the Vikings’ forward options following Martyn Reilly’s ACL injury. He linked up with new head coach Allan Coleman at the Vikings, who is a big admirer of the young Warrior. But he is now back in the hands of Peet.

Widnes Vikings confirmed the news in a statement on social media which read: “The club can confirm that Harvey Wilson has returned to Wigan Warriors.

“We would like to thank Harvey for his efforts whilst on loan and wish him all the best.”
More Rugby League News
Leeds Rhinos star could be set for Championship switch
How Liam Moore and Chris Kendall arrived at Wigan Warriors try decision
Wigan Warriors suffer potential major blow
Wigan Warriors boss gives injury update

Speaking to the press on Wednesday, Wigan Warriors boss Matt Peet confirmed on the club’s website: “Kruise [Leeming] has an injury to his ankle and Mike [Cooper] has an injury to his knee.
“We need a bit more information on both of them really, particularly Mike – we know roughly what it is, but we’ve no time frame yet.”

Expanding on the injury to the former Rhinos Kruise Leeming, Peet said: “Kruise will probably be two or three weeks. He won’t play this week obviously, but he could come into contention for London or Salford.”

On Luke Thompson, who returns to the 21-man squad for Friday’s game against Huddersfield, Peet added: “We were disappointed for him last week but seeing how he’s applied himself here since he joined we’re looking forward to seeing him out there.

“His health is paramount but he’s certainly applied himself well since then and I think he’s looking forward to the game as much as we are.”
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Cooper hurt his knee around 5 mins before coming off. He was running the ball in , changes his line of run slightly and his knee just wobbles a bit then after the tackle he has a slight limp. He takes a few more runs in and makes a few tackles but you can see he's not quite right.

It didn't look major like an ACL but could easily be an MCL tear. Hope nothing serious, would be a real shame for him after working so hard to get back.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:24 pm
WarriorWinger wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:22 am Always difficult with injuries, the medical staff can do all they can do which is best for the injury in question but ultimately it is generally left to the player themselves to say if they feel it is fully healed.

My questions are:

1. Should it be left to players to "declare themselves fit" (if that's what happens)?

When I was in my early 20s, I rode my motorbike at silly speeds whilst wearing shorts and t-shirt and no crash helmet. I'm now 72 and still ride a bike, but won't go near it without helmet, leather trousers with armoured knees and thighs, jacket with armoured back, shoulders and elbows, boots and gloves - even when it's 25⁰.

The coaches and medical staff should provide the wisdom, while the players can do the daft stuff on the field for our entertainment.
The coaches and medical staff do provide the wisdom and the rehab they need for the injury but everyone's body is different so when the medical staff put the muscle/joint through stretch tests then it is the player ultimately who will say if they feel any kind of pain in that area and given the magnitude of the game(s) most players will play down any slight twinges they may feel.

It can be stupid but the old saying of 'footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they are injured and rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending their not' is so true and most people who have played the game at any level will generally say the same, nobody wants to come off the field, I never did.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

WarriorWinger wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:17 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:24 pm

My questions are:

The coaches and medical staff do provide the wisdom and the rehab they need for the injury but everyone's body is different so when the medical staff put the muscle/joint through stretch tests then it is the player ultimately who will say if they feel any kind of pain in that area and given the magnitude of the game(s) most players will play down any slight twinges they may feel.

It can be stupid but the old saying of 'footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they are injured and rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending their not' is so true and most people who have played the game at any level will generally say the same, nobody wants to come off the field, I never did.
I understand and agree with whàt you say - of course players will understate their case, especially for a big match. If this is obvious to us, then the coaching and medical staff will be even more aware of it. My point is that the cases I quoted suggest they've been very unlucky or not done a great job over the past year or so.

I'm sure there's also pressure on them to risk an injured player when he's needed. Liam Byrne playing so many matches last year with pain-killng injections is a case in point - we won the LLS and GF, but his career could have been at stake: was it the right decision for him or for the team?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐