Former Warriors pair and Grand Final winners set to go head-to-head on NRL debuts

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Former Warriors pair and Grand Final winners set to go head-to-head on NRL debuts

Post by josie andrews »

The duo featured in last year’s 10-2 Super League Grand Final triumph over Catalans Dragons at the Theatre of Dreams.

Morgan Smithies and Kai Pearce-Paul will go head-to-head on their NRL debuts this week after being named by their respective teams.

Halifax-born Smithies, 23, has been named to start at loose forward for the Canberra Raiders in the absence Corey Horsburgh, who is suspended.

The Wigan academy product signed a three-year deal from 2024 for the capital side under Ricky Stuart, and featured in the club’s pre-season fixture with North Queensland Cowboys, falling to a 36-26 defeat.

He will meet back-rower and former club team-mate Pearce-Paul, who has been selected on the interchange bench for Newcastle Knights for Thursday’s clash.

The fellow England international has overcome a toe injury to be available for the start of the season down under, which kicked off in Las Vegas last weekend with a double-header at the Allegiant Stadium with a crowd of 40,000.

The 23-year-old signed a two-year deal with the Knights alongside Will Pryce.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ts-4542873
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Former Warriors pair and Grand Final winners set to go head-to-head on NRL debuts

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I really hope both go well. I think they will love Smithies to be honest. Real work horse
Firestarter

Re: Former Warriors pair and Grand Final winners set to go head-to-head on NRL debuts

Post by Firestarter »

I hope so too but i reckon morgan is more suited to the nrl and will shine.Got a feeling Kai will be found out ,but i hope not
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:06 am I hope so too but i reckon morgan is more suited to the nrl and will shine.Got a feeling Kai will be found out ,but i hope not
I thought so too until the back end of last season. He had more bite to him. A little bit of nastiness. Not a lot but he started putting bigger hits and ran harder. I think he'll be just fine
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Thought Morgan may have been a squad player this year, and I now he’s been given an opportunity I don’t see anyone taking that no.13 shirt off him.

Good Luck to both and like others, I don’t think we will see Morgan back in SuperLeague anytime soon.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I watched their last warm-up game yesterday, and Smithies started the game, but seemed to disappear in the first half and didn't return. Whether injury or tactical, I don't know. Wish them both well, but my chinny reckon is that KPP will be the bigger success over there.