Newcastle vs Canberra on sky?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
moto748

Re: Newcastle vs Canberra on sky?

Post by moto748 »

Just watched it. Morgan looked right at home, didn't he? And KPP went fine, but I really don't rate the Knights.
josie andrews

Re: Newcastle vs Canberra on sky?

Post by josie andrews »

Morgan Smithies earns plaudits from Canberra Raiders boss Ricky Stuart following impressive NRL debut

Wigan Warriors academy product and former number 13 Morgan Smithies received praise from his Canberra Raiders head coach following his NRL debut against Newcastle Knights.

The Halifax-born 23-year-old was named to start in Thursday's NRL round one clash, facing former Wigan team-mate and fellow England international Kai Pearce-Paul, who featured from the interchange bench for Adam O’Brien’s Knights at the McDonald Jones Stadium.

Read More
Junior Nsemba and Jacob Douglas named in Wigan's squad to take on London Broncos
Canberra picked up a 28-12 away victory, with Smithies completing the most tackles of any Raiders player with 46 - even after being taken from the field for a head injury assessment in the first half, in which he passed.

Smithies signed with the Australian capital outfit at the conclusion of the 2023 Super League season on a three-year contract, bringing his eight-year association with Wigan to an end that included 114 appearances, a Challenge Cup, two League Leaders’ Shields and the 2023 Super League trophy.

Head coach Ricky Stuart told the media following the victory: “I said before the game and all week, people have been asking me about our new boys, and I said they can all play footy and Morgan Smithies is a very good footy player.

“I just said to Elliott Whitehead in the box there, he’s a tough kid.”

His performance also earned the respect from fellow forward and New Zealand international Joseph Tapine, who started at prop.

"Pommies are all tough,” the 29-year-old said, who was Canberra’s on-field captain in replacement of Whitehead.

“In the middle, I’m trying to find my bearings and he’s talking the whole time. He’s a good player to be playing with.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ut-4546717
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan