Women’s team to play at the DW Stadium

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Women’s team to play at the DW Stadium

Post by josie andrews »

* Wigan Warriors Women’s team will play their first-ever game at the DW Stadium.

* Wigan Warriors Women will face Barrow Raiders Ladies on Friday 19 April at 5.30pm.

* “To be given the honour to play at the DW Stadium this year is special,” says Victoria Molyneux.

WIGAN WARRIORS ARE DELIGHTED TO CONFIRM THAT OUR WIGAN WARRIORS WOMEN’S TEAM WILL PLAY THEIR OPENING 2024 BETFRED WOMEN’S SUPER LEAGUE GAME AT THE DW STADIUM.

The match against newly promoted Barrow Raiders Ladies, which will also be Denis Betts’ first Super League game in charge, takes place on Friday 19 April at 5.30 pm, before the men’s team faces Castleford Tigers in their Round 8 clash.

It will be the first time the Women’s team will play a game at the DW Stadium, and it is another example of the significant progress made in the development of the Women’s and Girls’ rugby league at the Club.

The game will also see the Club reach out to all of our local community girls’ teams with an invitation to be part of this special occasion, as well as join our Community Club Ambassadors scheme/programme.

Commenting on the game, Wigan Warriors Women’s captain Victoria Molyneux said: “The support from the Club over the year has been fantastic, providing even more for us to help fulfil our potential and bring about some success this year.

“To be given the honour to play at the DW this year is special. It’s an exciting opportunity that will be cherished for a lifetime and it really does mean so much to us all.

“As a squad we feel privileged to be the first women’s team to play here, and we hope to put on a show for any fans that can come early to watch us.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/03/ ... w-stadium/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ancientnloyal

Re: Women’s team to play at the DW Stadium

Post by ancientnloyal »

Pay them!

Simple
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:05 pm Pay them!

Simple
Statements like this aren't helping anyone.

If the women's game is sustainable and makes profit, then absolutely they should be paid.

I played amateur for years and never asked to be paid because no one was bothered I was playing. Same thing
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:07 am
ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:05 pm Pay them!

Simple
Statements like this aren't helping anyone.

If the women's game is sustainable and makes profit, then absolutely they should be paid.

I played amateur for years and never asked to be paid because no one was bothered I was playing. Same thing
I agree. I played union for a decade got paid 15 pounds for 1 game when it went pro. We got paid through the income we generated. Played in the 2nds mostly we got paid nothing.

What is the game to do pay everyone equally regardless of money generated. And weaken SL further as most clubs if not all struggle to make money on match day.

This will annoy ppl but I do hope those advocating paying the women teams attend those games and pay 25 pounds per game or pay equally the mens team season ticket especially if your advocating equal pay as well.
BriH

Post by BriH »

Hope they get a good crowd
jobo

Post by jobo »

BriH wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:30 pm Hope they get a good crowd
👏👏

So do I.