Wigan squad for London (R4)

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Wigan squad for London (R4)

Post by Southern Softy »

Annoyingly, I've been flat out with 'flu so couldn't get to the match but watched it on Sky.

An OK performance on the principle that you can only beat what's in front of you. Thought Dupree was outstanding, as was Hill - Miski and Wardle also top-class. Difficult to comment on individuals who don't get much game time but Hampshire still doesn't seem to make good decisions under pressure and Eckersley, who was impressive in attack, needs to sort his positional play out in defence.

The real problem was the referee. I thought the one against Huddersfield was bad but this one nearly ruined the match. His decisions were random (for both sides) and even when Dupree was heard to ask for help about where to stand and what the problems were. he just ignored him.

Send that ref somewhere more junior to learn the game please.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Southern Softy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:58 am Annoyingly, I've been flat out with 'flu so couldn't get to the match but watched it on Sky.

An OK performance on the principle that you can only beat what's in front of you. Thought Dupree was outstanding, as was Hill - Miski and Wardle also top-class. Difficult to comment on individuals who don't get much game time but Hampshire still doesn't seem to make good decisions under pressure and Eckersley, who was impressive in attack, needs to sort his positional play out in defence.

The real problem was the referee. I thought the one against Huddersfield was bad but this one nearly ruined the match. His decisions were random (for both sides) and even when Dupree was heard to ask for help about where to stand and what the problems were. he just ignored him.

I thought the same. He was very erratic and made some strange calls for both teams. I felt like in the first half he was the only reason London were still in the game. How was magos try not given or at least sent upstairs? It's good that he has confidence to back his decisions but when they're wrong he made himself look silly.

I thought we were alright. Don't disagree with anything you said regarding performances.
Soul Kitchen

Post by Soul Kitchen »

medlocke wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:45 pm We shouldn't be resting anyone, it's only the 4th game of the season, we should be going as full a strength as possible and put a cricket score on London, if we must blood young uns then put them on the bench, we will be a laughing stock if it goes tits up like it has done many times before in these type of matches
Well all considered a good performance all round and reasonable to assume that the professionals know best what they're doing as opposed to those that think they do?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Usually, when I watch a game back, I think, OK, the ref wasn't as bad as I thought. This was not one of those games. Some terrible decisions against both sides. The London sin-binning, for example, was ridiculously harsh. But it went both ways. We sure have two very talented lads in Forber and Farrimond.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Thought the performance was ok. London's line defense was very weak, we could just bash through. Our defense was not good and I bet the coaching staff were not happy about that.

Farrimond seemed to overplay an awful lot. Going for big passes to noone and kicking through without anyone knowing the plan. He should learn to play in a structure first, then bring those things to the game IMO. I doubt he'll be trusted back in the first team for a while. Perhaps that's harsh, but the game is so structured now Im not sure the coaching team would like some of the decisions he made.

Anyway, job done on to the next one.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Mike wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:26 am Thought the performance was ok. London's line defense was very weak, we could just bash through. Our defense was not good and I bet the coaching staff were not happy about that.

Farrimond seemed to overplay an awful lot. Going for big passes to noone and kicking through without anyone knowing the plan. He should learn to play in a structure first, then bring those things to the game IMO. I doubt he'll be trusted back in the first team for a while. Perhaps that's harsh, but the game is so structured now Im not sure the coaching team would like some of the decisions he made.

Anyway, job done on to the next one.
I thought the same performance was decent which is a positive knocking 60 points away playing OK is a good sign.
Jack Farimond performance reminded me a lot of when Smith came into the team timing of passing and one off kicks not quite there. Great thing his he's pretty strong in the tackle and obviously bags of potential ball in hand. You can imagine that the re run of the game will be valuable for him. I don't think they won't trust him I think they will throw him in when the chance or need arises because the benefits long term are worth it.
Good to get game time in for Rocky, Chan, Forber, Eckersley, as well and Jnr being back is another positive.
The big thing here is without Ellis, Leeming, Harvard, Byrne, Cooper and Walters we could still send out Thompson, O'Neil Dupree, Faz, Isa and Mago that's some engine room that can be rotated kept fresh and motivated.. Hill is probably knocking on that door now of how you keep him in around the team he's had a big start to the season. Chan and Forber also look comfortable and full of energy with a little X factor in their game both look like SL players.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Southern Softy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:58 am Annoyingly, I've been flat out with 'flu so couldn't get to the match but watched it on Sky.

Hope you feel better soon, it was a very cold day, luckily though it was dry 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Thanks Josie. Feeling better but annoying to miss a 'local' match.

One of the weirdest things that hasn't been mentioned was that London try when the ball went backwards from a pat-down and then went about 10 yards forward after bouncing with no one touching it. It seems from The Laws that that is OK and play on but it just looks wrong when you see it in real time play.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Hill was immense, no doubt he was a great prospect in the Academy/Reserves but he has made good yards in the first team and his tackling technique in holding up the ball carrier and then driving them back is disruptive. He was able to showcase his great footwork for his two tries. Forber looked accomplished in his spell.