Wigan Squad for Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
up the junction

Re: Wigan Squad for Salford

Post by up the junction »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:36 pm Worst game for French in a wigan shirt tonight but have to give Salford credit they have taken every chance they have had.
He looked tired
But an assist and the winning try isn’t that bad .
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

up the junction wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:57 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:36 pm Worst game for French in a wigan shirt tonight but have to give Salford credit they have taken every chance they have had.
He looked tired
But an assist and the winning try isn’t that bad .
Its not but it doesn't make up for the game (or does as we won). However I.wouldnt have had any complaints if Salford had won tonight.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Was a good player Rowley and imo he's an even better coach. Makes the most of what he's got and gets the best out of them by any means. If Sneyd was a yard faster, he'd be a world beater. Having said that, this was a tricky one facing a side of journeymen who look like they just enjoy the game. Good win for us.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Salford will trouble most teams this year so to not play particularly well and secure the two points at their place is a good result.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The team was off its game tonight but managed a win, somehow!

Whether that was due to them not playing last week I don't know but seems likely as we are so early into the season. After that narrow escape I wouldn't try a half reserve team again v Sheffield as another game like tonight's v Saints and no two points for us.

Salford took advantage of our mistakes and we took advantage of theirs. Salford were the better team but we didn't play well yet still managed to win.

Well done the lads and on to next week!
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:30 pm The team was off its game tonight but managed a win, somehow!

Whether that was due to them not playing last week I don't know but seems likely as we are so early into the season. After that narrow escape I wouldn't try a half reserve team again v Sheffield as another game like tonight's v Saints and no two points for us.

Salford took advantage of our mistakes and we took advantage of theirs. Salford were the better team but we didn't play well yet still managed to win.

Well done the lads and on to next week!
I don’t think we will play as loose as we did tonight on Good Friday. Our ball retention was poor, so was our line speed. Our tactics leave a lot to be desired as well, we should have taken the ball down the middle in those conditions. I am surprised that Junior didn’t make the 17 as we need more punch out wide.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

We don't don't really deserve that IMO, but shows were a champion side when we pull one out of the bag in the last five minutes. Helped by Salfords brain explosions I must say.

On the French performance, Id rather have a player that wasn't playing at his best but his last 5 minutes won us the game, than say a scrum half that plays great for 75 mins and then a tactical error loses us the game! I thought French tried to step it up as an individual when the game looked gone, and it worked. He made breaks put on good plays and ultimately got us over the line. I thought Field was a bit quiet TBH. Expected him to be chasing through on one of those kicks through that ended up all the way out at Marshall.

Overall, job done again, on to the next one. We don't need to be at our best all season, but don't let the sloppiness become habit forming.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:34 am We don't don't really deserve that IMO, but shows were a champion side when we pull one out of the bag in the last five minutes. Helped by Salfords brain explosions I must say.

On the French performance, Id rather have a player that wasn't playing at his best but his last 5 minutes won us the game, than say a scrum half that plays great for 75 mins and then a tactical error loses us the game! I thought French tried to step it up as an individual when the game looked gone, and it worked. He made breaks put on good plays and ultimately got us over the line. I thought Field was a bit quiet TBH. Expected him to be chasing through on one of those kicks through that ended up all the way out at Marshall.

Overall, job done again, on to the next one. We don't need to be at our best all season, but don't let the sloppiness become habit forming.
👏🏼👏🏼
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

And the moral is:
If you can win when you play poorly, it means that you're on the way to another successful season - (maybe a virus in the camp to explain some of the performances last night)
Trust your wingers and centres - they still look the best unit in SL
Just because your forwards batter London, it doesn't mean that it will work against better packs
It's nice to have a really good backup kicker
And for Sky - don't choose your Man of the Match until the last moment or else you can look a bit daft

I suspect we're all happy to move on but the team won't be looking forward to Matty Peet's analysis of their performance today and next week. In previous seasons, that's probably a match we would have lost so that's one good thing.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

All good points in this post and yes we were bad but i expect a massive improvement versus saints.watching the game again we seemed a tad flat and seemed to think they would gove way if we kept plodding down the middle.Got a feeling a few players were carrying knocks, namely field and byrne especially.On to next week ide defo rest field and maybe let french have a free role at fullback so hsmpshire or farrimond can get more game time.Also nsemba who i think adds that bit more than isa atm.A wins a win but im sure a lot of us( myself included) would be in meltdown had we lost that
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE