Women’s Match Preview: Salford (A)

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Women’s Match Preview: Salford (A)

Post by josie andrews »

HERE’S EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW AHEAD OF WIGAN WARRIORS WOMEN’S OPENING GAME OF THE 2024 BETFRED CHALLENGE CUP GROUP STAGES AGAINST SALFORD RED DEVILS. THE WARRIORS WOMEN FACE THE RED DEVILS AT SALFORD COMMUNITY STADIUM ON SUNDAY 17TH MARCH (2:15PM K.O.).

Wigan Warriors Women get their 2024 Season underway this weekend as they enter the group stages of the Betfred Women’s Challenge Cup against Salford Red Devils.

The other group games see Wigan travel to Barrow Raiders before welcoming Cardiff Demons to Robin Park Arena.

Head-to-head

The two sides have faced off on two occasions, including a win over the Red Devils in the same stages of the Challenge Cup competition last year, where Wigan scored 11 tries to run out 60-0 winners:

Salford Red Devils 4, Wigan Warriors 38 (Pre-Season, 05/03/23)
Wigan Warriors 60, Salford Red Devils 0 (CCGS3, 21/05/23)
Pre-match Quotes

Speaking ahead of Sunday’s game, Denis Betts said: “I know there will be ups and downs in this, when things don’t go our way but what we saw in our pre-season game against Featherstone, if we stick together we can overcome any obstacle and adversity in the game.

“Winning and losing is part of the game, what we can control is how we coach this game and how much attitude we bring to the game and our performances and how competitive we are.”

He added: “I am enjoying working with the girls, I am enjoying the training and what we are doing together, how we are together.”

Mary Coleman also previewed the fixture: “The big thing that Denis [Betts] has said is to be the most competitive in every aspect,” she said, “It is not just being the best you can but also being there for your teammates.

“Having that mindset of being the most competitive player that I can in every aspect of the game is what I am taking forward into the season.”

Match info

Sunday’s game takes place on the Community pitch next to Salford Stadium (M30 7EY) and entry to the game is free, however there will be a collection on the day for any donations.

Parking is also free on the day, and spectators are advised not to park in the area behind the sticks, and use the main car park.

Refreshments can be purchased on the day from an on-site coffee van.

Social Media

Wigan fans can follow every piece of the action via our social media channels and website.

X (Formerly Twitter) (@WiganWarriorsRL) – full match updates, including half time and full time scores.
Instagram (@wiganwarriorsrl) – half time and full time updates.
Facebook (Wigan Warriors) – half time and full time updates.
Website (www.wiganwarriors.com) – post-match reaction including a match report.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/03/ ... salford-a/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan