WOLVESWarrington Wolves: NRL club reportedly considering swoop for Sam Burgess

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

WOLVESWarrington Wolves: NRL club reportedly considering swoop for Sam Burgess

Post by josie andrews »

Reports in Australia are linking Warrington Wolves head coach Sam Burgess with a move to Australia.

Warrington Wolves have had an excellent start to the season, and are top of the Super League after five rounds.

They also demolished London Broncos 58-4 at Plough Lane at the weekend.

However, Paul Kent, of Fox League, says that Burgess could be on his way back to the South Sydney Rabbitohs as assistant to the Dolphins’ Wayne Bennett.

The Rabbitohs, early on in the season, find themselves second-last in the table, leading to speculation that head coach Jason Demetriou could be on his way out.

Kent said: “Sam comes back as an assistant to Wayne and goes through the same process. Wayne comes back as a head coach, gives Sam two years working under him like he’s doing with Woolf now, like he did with Demetriou before.”

“Then that’s your whole succession plan there, done.”

Warrington fans will be hoping this isn’t true, with the Wolves looking a different side to the one at the end of Daryl Powell’s tenure.

It’s hard, however, to imagine Burgess leaving for a lesser-role, especially when he’s doing so well, and when he’s early on in his time at the club.

He may instead look for some stability in Cheshire. Going to the NRL seems very unlikely.

Burgess led his side to a superb win over the London Broncos on Sunday and after the game he said:

“London are a tough team and thankfully we have players who can find space,” Burgess said after the big win.

“We took all our chances and we didn’t leave a lot out there. That was the difference, really.”

They won 58-4 and to produce an attacking display like that without George Williams or Josh Drinkwater is something special indeed.

Many expected Burgess’ Wolves to be hard nosed but they are instead very fluent to watch. They will take on London again in the Challenge Cup this week.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/warringt ... ess-89248/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Re: WOLVESWarrington Wolves: NRL club reportedly considering swoop for Sam Burgess

Post by moto748 »

I never thought SB would hang around long at Warrington.
the pieman

Re: WOLVESWarrington Wolves: NRL club reportedly considering swoop for Sam Burgess

Post by the pieman »

i wonder if every other coach will be offered a gig in the NRL when they beat London :) :)

They've beat Cas, Hull and London in their 4 wins, with a close win v HKR and loss to Catalan. Thats not exactly a CV to be getting a gig in the NRL just yet
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

the pieman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:22 pm i wonder if every other coach will be offered a gig in the NRL when they beat London :) :)

They've beat Cas, Hull and London in their 4 wins, with a close win v HKR and loss to Catalan. Thats not exactly a CV to be getting a gig in the NRL just yet
😂😂😂😂
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

Maybe it’s Sam’s year
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

the pieman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:22 pm i wonder if every other coach will be offered a gig in the NRL when they beat London :) :)

Now come on top drawer the lot of them haha.

That said I really think he will be off the first sign of a job offer no matter how well he’s doing here or not as the case have been and let’s be fair Woolf was happy to wait for his turn at the dolphins hasn’t he so no smoke without fire I feel
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

fozzie58 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:26 pm

Now come on top drawer the lot of them haha.

That said I really think he will be off the first sign of a job offer no matter how well he’s doing here or not as the case have been and let’s be fair Woolf was happy to wait for his turn at the dolphins hasn’t he so no smoke without fire I feel
obviously my response to the initial post is a little tinged with sarcasm

If he turns out to be anywhere near as good a coach as he was a player, then he will no doubt be coaching in the NRL as i think thats where his heart lies / sees as home. He was never going to get a 1st team coach gig in the NRL, so the Wire opportunity is ideal for him. Make a success, and he's back home. Doesnt work out, he'll go back home and take an assistants job, so either way, he'll be heading back to Oz to coach in some capacity. Probably just a question of how soon?