Wigan squad for Sheffield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bertina

Re: Wigan squad for Sheffield

Post by bertina »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:16 pm
Firestarter wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:49 pm So field is carrying an injury or burnt out as they say.Probably a good call because we need him 100% for saints
If he is burnt out then I want some of that :lol:
Me too !!
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

bertina wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:38 am
Firestarter wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:49 pm So field is carrying an injury or burnt out as they say.Probably a good call because we need him 100% for saints
Me too !!
Probably not my best choice of words but you get what i mean.Hopefully hes ok for saints
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Hampshire: Very special

* Ryan Hampshire shared his memories of playing at Wembley Stadium as a junior ahead of Wigan’s Betfred Challenge Cup Sixth Round tie against Sheffield Eagles.

* Hampshire: “The Challenge Cup is very special for players and supporters and hopefully we can start another great run on Friday night.”

* Tickets for Wigan Warriors’ tie against Sheffield Eagles are available to purchase online HERE.

RYAN HAMPSHIRE SHARED HIS ‘SPECIAL’ CHALLENGE CUP MEMORIES AHEAD OF FRIDAY NIGHT’S SIXTH ROUND TIE AGAINST SHEFFIELD EAGLES.

The Warriors face Championship side Sheffield Eagles at the DW Stadium, in a first meeting between the teams since the Warriors recorded a 50-34 win in the competition at Bramhall Lane in 2010.

Ahead of the game, Hampshire said: “It’s been a really intense week of training off the back of a short turnaround last week which restricted how much we could do in the build up to Salford. We’ve had a valuable three days this week which the lads can take a lot from heading into Friday night.”

The Warriors host a Sheffield side who have won eight from eight in all competitions in 2024, and on the Yorkshire side, Hampshire said: “We know they have two very experienced halves and some dangerous outside backs with Super League experience who can pose problems. We’ve done all we need to know and given Sheffield the respect they deserve, but like any game our preparations have been focused on improving ourselves.”

Peet confirmed to Wigan TV that Hampshire will replace Jai Field at fullback on Friday night, who misses out with a slight knock.

On returning to the side, Hampshire said: “I’m feeling good and looking forward to another run out on Friday night. My focus as always is just to go out there and improve on my last game.”

Hampshire played in the first ever rugby league game at the new Wembley Stadium in 2007, as his school Normanton Freeston beat Castleford High 12-10 in the Year 7’s Boys Champion Schools Final.

The versatile back’s success of winning three titles running as a junior continued at senior level as Hampshire scored a try in an interchange appearance in the Warriors’ Challenge Cup quarter final win over Widnes Vikings prior to winning the competition in 2013.

On the magic of the competition, Hampshire said: “My fondest memory is being part of the squad who won the cup in my first year here. The Challenge Cup is very special for players and supporters – the BBC matches, the days out to Wembley, everything – and hopefully we can start another great run on Friday night.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/03/ ... y-special/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Match Preview: Sheffield

IN ASSOCIATION WITH DAVANTI TYRES, HERE IS EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW AHEAD OF FRIDAY’S BETFRED CHALLENGE CUP SIX ROUND TIE AGAINST SHEFFIELD EAGLES.

The Warriors open this year’s Challenge Cup account against Sheffield Eagles at the DW Stadium for the first meeting between the sides since 2010.

Squad News

Matt Peet has made one change to the 21-player squad he named for Wigan’s clash against Salford Red Devils last time out, as Jai Field is replaced by Kruise Leeming who returns from an ankle injury.

Wigan squad for Sheffield:

2 Abbas Miski
3 Adam Keighran
4 Jake Wardle
5 Liam Marshall
6 Bevan French
7 Harry Smith
9 Brad O’Neill
10 Liam Byrne
11 Willie Isa
12 Liam Farrell
13 Kaide Ellis
15 Patrick Mago
16 Luke Thompson
17 Kruise Leeming
19 Tyler Dupree
20 Harvie Hill
21 Junior Nsemba
23 Ryan Hampshire
24 Tiaki Chan
26 Zack Eckersley
27 Tom Forber

Opposition

Sheffield Eagles head coach Mark Aston has also named a 21-player squad for the fixture.

1 Matty Marsh
2 Ben Jones-Bishop
3 Kris Welham
4 James Glover
5 Matty Dawson-Jones
6. Cory Aston
7 Anthony Thackeray
8 Eddie Battye
9 Vila Halafihi
10 Tyler Dickinson
11 Connor Bower
13 Titus Gwaze
14 Jack Hansen
15 Evan Hodgson
16 Blake Broadbent
18 Aaron Murphy
19 Izaac Farrell
20 Lewis Peachey
24 OliverRoberts
26 Alex Foster
30 Ryan Millar

Previous Meetings

The Warriors are unbeaten in their last 14 home meetings with Sheffield – winning 13 and drawing one.

Last ten meetings:

Sheffield 34, Wigan 50 (CCR4, 17/4/10) (at Bramall Lane)
Sheffield 12, Wigan 36 (SLR22, 21/7/99) (at Don Valley Stadium)
Wigan 28, Sheffield 0 (SLR13, 2/6/99) (at Central Park)
Wigan 44, Sheffield 6 (SLR17, 16/8/98) (at Central Park)
Sheffield 6, Wigan 36 (SLR5, 9/5/98) (at Don Valley Stadium)
Sheffield 17, Wigan 8 (CCF, 2/5/98) (at Wembley Stadium)
Wigan 22, Sheffield 10 (Prem-SF, 21/9/97) (at Central Park)
Sheffield 24, Wigan 22 (SLR17, 10/8/97) (at Don Valley Stadium)
Wigan 58, Sheffield 2 (SLR14, 29/6/97) (at Central Park)
Sheffield 12, Wigan 54 (SLR19, 3/8/96) (at Don Valley Stadium)
Previous Challenge Cup meetings:

Sheffield 34, Wigan 50 (Round 4, 2010)
Sheffield 17, Wigan 8 (Final, 1998) (at Wembley Stadium)

Coaches Quotes

Matt Peet spoke to the press at Robin Park Arena ahead of the clash, as he shared his delight in signing a new seven-year contract with the Warriors.

Peet said: “I’m very proud and very grateful to feel the love and trust the Club and supporters have in me at the moment. It’s a good place to work at the moment as there is a lot of care and connection running throughout the place with such a fantastic and special group.”

On the tie against Sheffield, Peet added: “We know Sheffield are a good side who have started the season really well so we know to expect a test.”

Read Peet’s pre-match quotes in full HERE.

Tickets

Tickets for Friday’s tie are on general sale and can be purchased online HERE, over the phone on 01942 311111, or in person from the DW Stadium Ticket Office (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Supporters are advised that only the East and West Stands will be open for this fixture, with away fans to be situated in ES2 in the East Stand. Anyone who has purchased a season ticket in either ES2 or the South Stand will be able to purchase a match ticket to sit in any of the available seats in either the East or West stand for this fixture.

Ticket prices for the game are as follows:

East and West Stands:

Adults and Young Adults (22-24) – £10
Concessions (Over 60s and 18-21) – £5
Juniors – £5
U8s – Free of Charge when accompanied by a full paying Adult (A ticket is required)

Please note that identification may be required when purchasing age-restricted tickets.

If you have not already, Season Ticket Holders must ensure that you have activated your ticketing account in order to purchase online. If you have any issues, or have not received your tickets within 24 hours of the fixture, please contact the DW Stadium Ticket Office on 01942 311 111 or email tickets@wiganwarriors.com.

Fan Village

Our Fan Village will be open from 6pm on Friday evening to soak up all the pre-match atmosphere inside Robin Park Arena!

Supporters will be able to get their face painted inside the Fan Village ahead of kick off, and merchandise will be available to purchase from our Robin Park Arena Club Store (open from 10am) and Pop-Up Store (open from 6pm) which is located in the South East corner of the Stadium.

Our two on-site bars will be in operation from when doors open, as well as food which will be available out on the running track. Please note that our Fan Village bars only accept card payments. The Fan Village will be open after the final whistle for supporters to catch up post-match.

Between 6-7pm, children are invited to take part in our Community Foundation led activities, which includes our try scoring inflatable, wheelchair rugby, and our Davanti Tyres passing challenge. Places are limited, and we ask that interested participants meet at the red Community Foundation gazebo on the running track.

Kit Check

The Warriors will play in their home kit on Friday night.

Not got yours? All our 2024 Kappa match and training wear is available to purchase in-store and online HERE.

Match Officials

The referee in charge of Friday night’s Challenge Cup tie will be James Vella.

How to Follow

Please note that tomorrow’s cup tie will not be televised.

Listen Live

Listen to free audio commentary of Wigan Warriors v Sheffield Eagles from 7:50pm via our Mixlr page HERE. Alternatively, you can simply use the pop out player below:

WiganTV is on Mixlr

Social Media:

As an alternative to following the game, Wigan fans can keep up-to-date with every piece of the action via our social media channels and website:

X (@WiganWarriorsRL) – live game updates and reaction at the final hooter.
Instagram (@wiganwarriorsrl) – behind-the-scenes action, both before and after kick-off.
Facebook (Wigan Warriors) – live matchday information and reaction.
Website (www.wiganwarriors.com) – post-match reaction including match report, and head coach and players reaction.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/03/ ... sheffield/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Matchday Info

* Matchday information ahead of our Betfred Challenge Cup Sixth Round tie against Sheffield Eagles.

* Ticketing, Fan Village, car parking and matchday programme details all included.

* Wigan Warriors v Sheffield Eagles, Friday 22 March, 8pm K.O.

HERE’S EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW AHEAD OF FRIDAY NIGHT’S BETFRED CHALLENGE CUP SIXTH ROUND TIE AGAINST SHEFFIELD EAGLES.

Matt Peet’s side open their Challenge Cup account at the DW Stadium tomorrow night against Championship side Sheffield Eagles who have won eight from eight in all competitions this season.

Ticketing

Tickets for Friday’s tie are on general sale and can be purchased online HERE, over the phone on 01942 311111, or in person from the DW Stadium Ticket Office (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Supporters are advised that only the East and West Stands will be open for this fixture, with away fans to be situated in ES2 in the East Stand. Anyone who has purchased a season ticket in either ES2 or the South Stand will be able to purchase a match ticket to sit in any of the available seats in either the East or West stand for this fixture.

Ticket prices for the game are as follows:

East and West Stands:

Adults and Young Adults (22-24) – £10
Concessions (Over 60s and 18-21) – £5
Juniors – £5
U8s – Free of Charge when accompanied by a full paying Adult (A ticket is required)
Please note that identification may be required when purchasing age-restricted tickets.

If you have not already, Season Ticket Holders must ensure that you have activated your ticketing account in order to purchase online. If you have any issues, or have not received your tickets within 24 hours of the fixture, please contact the DW Stadium Ticket Office on 01942 311 111 or email tickets@wiganwarriors.com.

Fan Village

Our Fan Village will be open from 6pm on Friday evening to soak up all the pre-match atmosphere inside Robin Park Arena!

Supporters will be able to get their face painted inside the Fan Village ahead of kick off, and merchandise will be available to purchase from our Robin Park Arena Club Store (open from 10am) and Pop-Up Store (open from 6pm) which is located in the South East corner of the Stadium.

Our two on-site bars will be in operation from when doors open, as well as food which will be available out on the running track. Please note that our Fan Village bars only accept card payments. The Fan Village will be open after the final whistle for supporters to catch up post-match.

Between 6-7pm, children are invited to take part in our Community Foundation led activities, which includes our try scoring inflatable, wheelchair rugby, and our Davanti Tyres passing challenge. Places are limited, and we ask that interested participants meet at the red Community Foundation gazebo on the running track.

Club Store

There are plenty of ways to shop on Friday evening ahead of kick off! Our Robin Park Arena Club Store will be open from 10am right up until kick off, before reopening post-match.

Over at the Stadium, our pop-up store (open from 6pm) will be in operation in the South West corner of the stadium.

Whelan’s Bar

Supporters can take advantage of some great offers over at Whelan’s Sports Bar at the DW Stadium, which is situated underneath the West Stand, close to the main reception.

Whelan’s Bar will be open from 12pm, and pre-match supporters can enjoy a pitcher & pizza or a sharing box for £20.

After the final whistle Whelan’s Bar will be offering 3-for-2 on draught beers.

Car Parking

Please note that seasonal car park passes are not valid for this fixture, and that a car parking pass must be purchased upon arrival.

Card payments are now accepted on all of our car parks, the charges remain the same (£5.00 per car/£10 per minibus/£20 per coach on Car Park 1, and Cars £5.00 on Car Parks 3 & 4). Please note that car parks will close at midnight.

The DW Stadium car parks, located on Stadium Way, can be found using the postcode WN5 0UN on your Sat Nav.

Full travel details to the DW Stadium can be found HERE.

Golden Gamble and Matchday Programme

Don’t miss out on our Golden Gamble – priced at £1 per ticket [CASH ONLY] – draw which takes place at half time! A host of prizes are on offer such as cash, a match-worn shirt, plus plenty of fantastic vouchers – not forgetting the famous Jar of Uncle Joe’s Mint Balls!

Our ‘Warrior’ matchday programme will be available from our sellers around the ground for £3. Alternatively, you can purchase the matchday programme digitally – priced at £2.50 – two hours before kick off (6pm) HERE.

Kit Check

The Warriors will wear their 2024 Kappa home kit against the Eagles on Friday evening.

Not got yours? All our 2024 Kappa match and training wear is available to purchase in-store and online HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/03/ ... hday-info/
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:03 am

Me too !!
Probably not my best choice of words but you get what i mean.Hopefully hes ok for saints
I do mate, I wasn't having a go at you just wishing that my body would let me do the same thing as Jai's. There's nothing wrong with dreaming :)
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:53 pm
Me too !!
I do mate, I wasn't having a go at you just wishing that my body would let me do the same thing as Jai's. There's nothing wrong with dreaming :)
I knew that,im always scared when either him french or smith get a knock.I do believe we are knackered without them three
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:53 pm
I knew that,im always scared when either him french or smith get a knock.I do believe we are knackered without them three
As Lammy found out. But you take the three best players out of any side and it will significantly weaken them. We're not much different to others in that regard. However, our defence and commitment will remain, even if we lack attacking flare.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:31 am

As Lammy found out. But you take the three best players out of any side and it will significantly weaken them. We're not much different to others in that regard. However, our defence and commitment will remain, even if we lack attacking flare.
Spot on 😊
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Mike wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:31 am

I disagree mike ,no other super league team has three players anywhere near these three.Unfortunately all our attack is based on these three.